• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2022 Manga Guide

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:19 pm Reply with quote
So, Noragami is an old two-season anime classic, so I don't feel I need to add anything to the reviews, but Food Court is something I've read, dropped and picked back up, So I'm gonna say this: this is very nice show of two teenagers that are both gremlins to some degree (Wada way more) and yet believable characters that has their own problem and conflicts with standing in school society. Gyaru is bit to much of the wise one at times, but on the other hand she does fit all those smart yet bit too "intellectual" at times HS folks, but not to the insufferable degree. She is who she are and so is Wada, and they're fine with that and it's great.
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
outside of Doujin Work, and nobody remembers that

I do. I think I'm part of a very small percentage but for whatever reason I absolutely do remember that series.......
thecritter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:22 am Reply with quote
I have read Meet Me At The Food Court from the beginning, and I'm hooked. The art is good, and the conversations that are the center of this play up what I see as the real center of this manga: both girls' personalities and outlooks are exactly the opposite of their visual types, and it defines their relationship. It's definitely worth a couple of back-to-back reads.

Last edited by thecritter on Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:47 am Reply with quote
Downloaded Azuki just for My Dear Detective and the first two chapters didn't disappoint at all. A light mystery series about helping people and teases of romance is great. I'm glad the mysteries aren't too complex honestly, I feel like it'd take away too much if it went too serious.

I'd love if the series got a physical release through another publisher but I'm not sure what the chances of that are
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Dandadan didn't do much for me, either. Not in a "worst thing evar" sort of way, but in an "it's very average" sort of way. Nothing against the art and paneling, those are good, but yeah, the "sex" comedy definitely turned me off as well. But even looking past that, it just did not wow me. The internet said it got better by chapter 20, and like, I can see glimpses of greatness, but I think it's being held back. If we had maybe just stayed on the "sweet couple" thing, I think it could've been a winner, playing to its actual strengths. But I feel like going off to do the monsters and aliens thing isn't doing it for me. It's like having a box of mystery candy where 90% of them taste like garbage and 10% of them are pretty good, but the wading through the 90% isn't worth it when I can get the 10% of pretty good ones out of another box of 98% good ones.

Black Paradox I did enjoy, but it's also Junji Ito. Pretty baseline level Junji Ito here, but it's also nice to have comfort food sometimes.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:38 am Reply with quote
We’re still at it with the unnecessary Madoka Magica spin-offs a decade later, huh? I can’t say I’ve found any of these particularly worthwhile except for the Joan of Arc one (Tart Magica), which I quite liked, probably because it was so far removed from the original.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:31 am Reply with quote
Concerning My Happy Marriage, it came yesterday from the comic shop. If the graphic novel is the kinder, gentler version, my mind boggles at what the novel version must be like.
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:52 am Reply with quote
For a guy who is always shown as a cool dude, it sure is insane how Yato from Noragami is beaten up by everybody in the entire series. I don't know if anybody forgets to punch him but there is even a Youtube vid about him being attacked by everybody including a freaking lion. I wonder if there will be ever be a season 3.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:19 am Reply with quote
It's a real shame the light novel guide skipped August. The Bride of Demise and Secrets of the Silent Witch are two of the best series launched this year, and could probably use the attention.

I also love Inept Villainess so much I've been going through all the author's older series (in Japanese). But I really don't get where you're coming from with your objections to it, here. Keigetsu is no villainess--she's the co-lead, and I don't know how you'd read this book and not be quickly sympathetic to her, even if she's making a ton of mistakes.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:35 am Reply with quote
Oversummoned, Overpowered, and Over It!;
Quote:
But things begin to get grim in that final kingdom, which is of course the one that Inori is stuck in, and it feels as if someone (possibly the author, but it could have been an editor) decided that that wasn't where they wanted to go. I will say that the character writing is pretty good, because everything really is there in hindsight, but the tonal shift is jarring, and not necessarily in a Re:Zero or School-Live! kind of way. It's interesting, but not, perhaps, actually good.

Yes. The mc goes spoiler[full psychopath]. I never touched the novel, but I did drop the manga at that point.

And this is already a second series with such a tonal shift in short timeframe, The Saga of Lioncourt(manga is the one licensed(j-novel), but it's based on a novel(hiatus/cancelled)) being the other(needless to say I dropped that too...).spoiler[ Both have 'protagonists' who decide to kill indiscriminately just for the heck of it, the targets being innocent, kids included, and no fault of themselves. They're not even collateral damage, the deed(s) being done by the mc up close and personal. And all of it is done neither for parody nor comedy...]
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:44 am Reply with quote
Andrew Cunningham wrote:
It's a real shame the light novel guide skipped August. The Bride of Demise and Secrets of the Silent Witch are two of the best series launched this year, and could probably use the attention.

I have plans to review them later. A lot of good books came out in August, you're right.
ab2143

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:54 am Reply with quote
Yeah, case files of Jeweler Richard can be a bit difficult to read at times as it can be hard to tell when there’s a new scene. Still glad it got licensed though! Will be on to vol. 2 soon enough
musouka

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I don't recall having any issues with Jeweler Richard--though I suppose it could be that the change of scenes just didn't register much at all to me in general--but I totally fell in love with the series. I don't usually like to read light novels in English--and I couldn't even finish the extended wet fart that was the anime--but I enjoyed the first volume so much that once I was done I instantly went back and reread it again and put in an order for all of the rest of the available volumes to preorder in print.

Makes me even more mad about the anime, now, though...
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait for Jeweler Richard, I loved the anime and it's been almost 3 years and I finally get to read the novels. The manga felt like it had the same issue as the anime with compressing/losing stuff. I've been waiting for the print novel but I read the free sample of the digital version and it was great.

Sugar Apple Fairy Tale seems fun, I might pick up the first novel before the anime comes out
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:39 pm Reply with quote
The synopsis for PTSD Radio is incorrect. It is currently the synopsis for Thus Spoke Rohan Kishibe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2