• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Qualia the Purple LN

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lolechka

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I've read this novel in my native language about two years ago and loved it, and now you convinced me to finally reread it! And this review is really awesome in how it manages to precisely describe novel without spoiling anything. Props to Christopher for this!
Suxinn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I love Qualia the Purple, and when Seven Seas first started their monthly suggestion surveys, it was the one LN I consistently put in there (though admittedly I did drop off after a few months), so I'm ecstatic that they actually licensed it!

And, yes, I'm also very impressed by this review that, while pinpointing all the important things about this story, doesn't actually spoil much of the fun twists and turns of it. Quite a hard thing to do for a one-volume LN!
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:28 pm Reply with quote
As someone who really enjoyed the wacky psuedo-science tangents of 999, this sounds like it’ll be right up my alley! I appreciate the broad overview without giving away much of anything!
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I've had this on my "buy later" list and have been waiting for it to release (trickling down from like 130 days). I didn't read the review beyond the start telling me to not read it and just skipping to the review section, so I'm glad to see it got good reviews. I'll have to buy it some time then.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Qualia the Purple is great. Read the manga version. I, on one hand, wish there was an anime adaptation. On the other hand, I'm having a hard time imagining how that would work.
lucio542

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I too read the manga version.
Its not a work for everyone its has many complex concepts, but for those who can surpass this hurdle, they can admire a very clever and deep story.
Really like this and i will buy the manga omnibus.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if I'd like this or not, since I can't even understand the basic premise. Everyone appears to be robots to her? Even if they're not robots? How is that a "power," let alone a useful one? If she can't tell the difference between robots and humans, I'd think that would be a handicap, like color blindness, rather than an asset, like say, seeing outside the normal human visual spectrum would be. It sounds like there must be something more to the premise than I'm grasping.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:15 pm Reply with quote
lucio542 wrote:
I too read the manga version.
Its not a work for everyone its has many complex concepts, but for those who can surpass this hurdle, they can admire a very clever and deep story.
Really like this and i will buy the manga omnibus.

Here's hoping they eventually sell it in Portugal.
Clarste

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:14 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I don't know if I'd like this or not, since I can't even understand the basic premise. Everyone appears to be robots to her? Even if they're not robots? How is that a "power," let alone a useful one? If she can't tell the difference between robots and humans, I'd think that would be a handicap, like color blindness, rather than an asset, like say, seeing outside the normal human visual spectrum would be. It sounds like there must be something more to the premise than I'm grasping.

I mean, it says right in the title that it's a story about qualia, ie: the internal subjective experience. And the review brings up Schroedinger's Cat and weird quantum physics, so...
Suxinn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:51 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

It's hard to explain without spoiling it. Though this is a very early spoiler, so... spoiler[Basically, since Yukari sees everyone as robots, she can also "fix" them as if they're robots too, which is what directly leads to the main character Hatou's own power.]

And, yes, as someone else mentioned, this story is filled with concepts relating to quantum mechanics (the name "qualia" should give it away) and is all about how human subjectivity can and will change the "objective" experience. Like... this is some mind-bending science physics stuff that sounds almost like magic if you don't follow the science concepts in it.

Basically, whenever I have to give a one-sentence summary of this, it's: a hard SFF story about a girl trying to save her friend. It's also essentially a spoiler[time loop story].
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:06 am Reply with quote
great review, i will be that guy and talk a bit about anything it did not mention.

for mez this story works very good as part of a meta narrative spoiler[ of looping stories, it feels like it Tries to follow and set the rules used in other looping stories, particularly yuno ( the originator) , madoka mágica and when they cry]

i will just throw this here before writing an essay.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Curiously enough, the encyclopedia page has not been updated to reflect the Seven Seas Entertainment publication. Nor is there an image of the book cover. Strange.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:08 am Reply with quote
You know what this review has in fact convinced me to buy the novel completely blind. Pretty much all I know going in is "girl sees everybody as robots" and "yuri". Interested to see where it will go.
MonoMono

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:15 am Reply with quote
Found the manga to be quite poor, surprised it's been made into a LN/
AQuin1904

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:47 pm Reply with quote
MonoMono wrote:
Found the manga to be quite poor, surprised it's been made into a LN/

Other way around. Novel released in 2009, manga started two years later.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2