• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fuji TV Announces Original TV Anime KamiErabi GOD.App by NieR Creator Yoko Taro

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Very nice, I'll take any sliver of more Ohkubo content I can get.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how much of a "creator" Yoko Taro is gonna be here. I hope it won't be like typical Urobuchi "involved".
Looking at the trailer, at least it will be... weird.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's probably the weirdest pick combo of creators involved, which feels like a mashup of completely opposite things.

On one side we have Yoko, who's totally not the first timer even with creating concepts, and his long-time collaborator Keiichi Okabe and his monaca group for the music. Then somehow for the character designs appears Atsushi Ohkubo, who's known for quite another type of weirdness than Taro's in his works. And then, the script of anime is handled by Jin of all people, who honestly barely fits with the other two in the same room?

Plus with a studio that has not done any work before this, and 3DCGI which does not really do the justice for Ohkubo designs by looking at PV... well, that can be not a good sign.
Touma55

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:15 pm Reply with quote
So glad Ohkubo is still working.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:05 pm Reply with quote
That's a pretty top tier staff...although probably lend itself to the typical CG anime comments.
pi8you

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:25 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
That's a pretty top tier staff...although probably lend itself to the typical CG anime comments.

Hi, typical CG anime comments here. Putting Taro and Ohkubo together immediately gains my interest, but a fully 3DCG production immediately nopes me right back out. If you don't mind or even enjoy it, have fun, it's just not what I'm here for.
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Never imagined what Ohkubo's designs (adapted or otherwise) would look like in a CG anime, but here we are. I almost couldn't tell it was directed by Hiroyuki Seshita.
XSp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Survival game vibes? Seems like it, right?
TheGoldenCatch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:44 am Reply with quote
It looks like a PS3 cutscene. Sad to see talents like Yoko Taro and Ohkubo attached to something that looks this bad
DevilBrew

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:14 am Reply with quote
I'm so excited to see that Atsushi Ohkubo is doing original anime character designs now. Was worried he quit drawing entirely but hopefully, this means we'll see more of him in the future.
It's also a pleasant surprise to see Jin as the lead scriptwriter after he fell off the map after the Listeners anime bombed. Yoko Taro seems to be getting all the spotlight despite only being responsible for the original concept but I hope the other staff members get their due praise.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:58 am Reply with quote
I'm trying to reserve judgment but the CG style still gives me a bit of an unnerved feeling. I feel Studio Orange has spoiled me...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1