• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saint Seiya Manga's Live-Action Knights of the Zodiac Film Earns US$535,000 in U.S. Opening We

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
musouka

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
A rumor I heard somewhere (so take it with a massive grain of salt) is that a Toei bigwig got his start on Seiya and credits it for his career, so he keeps pushing the IP despite all the pushback.

Others have already pointed out that's Morishita--probably better known for his work on Dragonball over here, which he was moved to after he broke the bank on the Twelve Temples arc--but as much as people might want to cast aspirations, I've personally always appreciated his championing of the series and feel as though he had a knack for managing to keep the characterization consistent even if the quality of the spin-off in question itself was rarely great.
Glordit

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow I didn't see this happening at all. /s
Joker#941490

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
A rumor I heard somewhere (so take it with a massive grain of salt) is that a Toei bigwig got his start on Seiya and credits it for his career, so he keeps pushing the IP despite all the pushback.

i think he could have continued from where the story left and after that he do the spin-offs and even other original stories but the issue toei is always booked so it might had produced within another anime studio under them so he probably didn't want that after what happened with saintia sho which had a tight schedule and shortage of staff.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Ooof. For a film that supposedly wasn't even that bad, (not great, but not the Dragonball Evolution) it's turning into the 2020s equivalent of John Carter.

John Carter cost way more money to make and was a bigger punching bag as a result.

Beatdigga wrote:
A rumor I heard somewhere (so take it with a massive grain of salt) is that a Toei bigwig got his start on Seiya and credits it for his career, so he keeps pushing the IP despite all the pushback. Which is somewhat understandable, but when James Cameron pushes his pet project, he made billions. Hell, even Alita became enough of a cult classic 20th Century has begun opening discussions about a sequel. But Seiya missed its window, which was ironically, the same window that turned Dragonball into a property so huge it shrugged off DB Evolution, regularly makes huge hauls with its animated films, and had a fighting game so hyped up it got the Green Bay Packers and WWE’s New Day to help promote it. When your property has a Thanksgiving Day parade balloon, you’ve made it. Seiya missed that window, and while the logical route would be to pivot to something else, they keep trying with it. Eventually you need to just cut your losses and move on to another franchise.

This probably a blessing and a curse when you remember all the anime that came to the U.S. back in the day that got edited substantially or tweaked into a new property all together like Battle of The Planets, Star Blazers & Robotech.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 4:08 pm Reply with quote
The Saint Seiya/Knights of the Zodiac live-action movie is a definite flop but this movie was almost certainly made with the "International" market in mind, the limited release in the United States and Canada was obviously an afterthought.

The big problem for Toei and Sony is that this movie is also flopping in the markets where Saint Seiya is an established, beloved brand.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mushrinku

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 9:12 pm Reply with quote
and delusional people thought the release in the usa would suddenly make the movie successful- lmao.

but yeah sounds like the movie was a tax write off scheme to me.

Last edited by Mushrinku on Tue May 16, 2023 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
andramus

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 3:23 am Reply with quote
Even though this is an anime site I was expecting to see a review for this movie here but I guess I was mistaken.

I'm sure I've seen reviews of live action anime adaptations here in the past so I guess it's just a question of priorities/interest.

If they ever release this movie in Australia I thought I would go see it. No release date indicated at the moment though.
Glordit

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 3:55 am Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
HMMM....that is really bad right? Since I am pretty sure Dragon Ball Evolution, another horribly-received live action adaptation got higher box office than this, not to mention inflation.

Who greenlit this project? Does the producers really believe such half-assed effort can make Saint Seiya a main stream hit in the west? (To be fair, Saint seiya franchise is huge in the Latin region so cultural barrier is no excuse) Or is the whole thing a money-laundering scheme? People claim the latest Fast and Furious would be THE flop of the year, but I do believe this one takes the cake.

Surprisingly DBE made a profit. According to this at least: https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Dragonball-Evolution

Also, DBE had Dragonball in the title so people knew what they were getting. Calling this Knights of the Zodiac wasn't the wisest choice, unless you know of the animated series or manga, you'd just think this yet another 'action hero film'.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 6:14 am Reply with quote
Glordit wrote:

Surprisingly DBE made a profit. According to this at least: https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Dragonball-Evolution

Rule of thumb is a movie needs to gross 2.0x its production+marketing costs in the box office to break even (because the theaters and others also take their cut of the gross, with the studio taking home 50%)

DBE failed to reach that, so most likely no profit
kgw

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 8:21 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
The Saint Seiya/Knights of the Zodiac live-action movie is a definite flop but this movie was almost certainly made with the "International" market in mind, the limited release in the United States and Canada was obviously an afterthought.

The big problem for Toei and Sony is that this movie is also flopping in the markets where Saint Seiya is an established, beloved brand.

I, on the other hand, I think this and the other modern adaptations are aimed towards the US more than a vague "international market". It's as if Toei or whoever was behind this said "Look, Seiya and his friends are superheroes, like the Avengers. People they love superheroes, so we SHOULD be earwing a lot of money with Seiya!"
And they forgot what made Saint Seiya so popular all over the world.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 8:48 am Reply with quote
https://twitter.com/Alegraue/status/1656848714999185409
https://twitter.com/cavzodiaco/status/1657736955050827777 (Portuguese)
https://twitter.com/philazora/status/1658046165232001024 (English)

Movie co-producer interview from last week, Key points quoted.

Quote:
The project started in 2015, the final script was ready before the 2020 pandemic [but the production got pushed back until 2021].

Quote:
Guraad was 1st created for the live-action as Kido’s business partner. They added the character to the netflix CGI animation released in 2019. After the poor reception of the character, they decided to change Guraad as Kido’s wife, with Famke Janssen joining the cast of the LA

Quote:
The movie is entirely funded by Toei Animation, without investment from Sony (they only distribute the movie), so its considered an independent film. Toei couldn’t make 100M USD movie alone. They lost investment from a Chinese company before pandemic so the budget decreased more

Quote:
They consulted the author Masami Kurumada several times & he gave several suggestions on the production & design of the armor.

Quote:
They knew the box office won’t be a huge success, as they produced the movie with a very limited budget. The intention of the movie was to introduce the name of the franchise in a live-action movie to the world. They don’t necessarily need financial return to make a sequel

Quote:
There were many noises in the social media saying that the box office of the movie is a disaster, but for them, the $5M USD from latin America is considered okay. They knew they were going to compete with Super Mario & GoTG, so they just went with it and see how things will go

Quote:
Toei Animation & Masami Kurumada liked the movie, they want to continue this project. The main producer of the franchise, Yoshi Ikezawa once commented, “The hardest part is now. What comes next will be bigger & better, the pride & the will is there.”

On the note of Kurumada, he was actually at the Japanese premiere last month.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 9:13 am Reply with quote
If that’s their approach, then it’s even weirder Sony bothered with a half baked theatrical release instead of selling the broadcast rights to Netflix or Amazon.
Riliont

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 11:01 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
The last big live-action adaptation mega bomb with franchise aspirations should be JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable Chapter I from 2017. Even live-action AoT saw success with the dreadful first film before reality had to be faced and Death Note by Netflix was widely seen and only reactions killed the sequels. It might be the "only" Death Note in the lives of casual foreign audiences. Haha. A watchable 90s horror throwback if you ask me but the lack of a sequel rips it apart in the end. US GitS is unwatchable but it tells a complete story. One of its few good points.

Ghost In The Shell is hardly unwatchable. One of the better hollywood anime adaptation attempts. Its better than that Death Note pos. Definitely better than what the GitS franchise has turned into on Netflix.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Glordit wrote:

Also, DBE had Dragonball in the title so people knew what they were getting. Calling this Knights of the Zodiac wasn't the wisest choice,

Except looking at it’s name in other regions that’s essentially what it was called in other parts of the world outside of the U.S. though in some instances the title was combined.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the Knights of the Zodiac name originated with the French dub from the late 80s (as Les Chevaliers du Zodiaque) and it carried over to other countries' dubs since.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3