• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Aunties Visit Japan

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Looks like a good time Smile
Ameyoko is one of the places I want to check out next time I'm there, so looking forward to seeing what you got & enjoyed.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 9:52 am Reply with quote
This is really fun, thanks for sharing!
nhat

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 10:24 am Reply with quote
I would watch a youtube series on this!
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 10:24 am Reply with quote
Thanks! I also would like to visit Otome Road and buy HUGE DIFFERENT BL MERCH!
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 11:04 am Reply with quote
I'm reminded of a time when Ranma was still at the heart of English-speaking anime fandom, and especially anime fanfic. I came into the fandom around 2006, and it was on the wane then, but Ranma fic and Ranma crossovers were still a lot of the fic I came across back then. And a lot of fandom only knew Nerima as "the setting of Ranma ½", so it was often referenced in fanfic as shorthand for "wretched hive of loony martial artists". I remember at some point reading an explainer or a forum post or something emphasizing that no, it's a real ward in Tokyo, it's a perfectly normal place, and that's why it's funny that all that wackiness is happening there.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 11:31 am Reply with quote
....I still haven't opened that Wagnaria doujin I got from the Ikebukuro K-Books in 2016.
Flameshadowwolf

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Glad you guys found the BL merch you wanted but I do think it’s funny that you went to otome road and didn’t mention actual otome
Norbuck

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Quick typo correct- in the second last paragraph, I assume you meant vacillating, not facilitating.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 5:49 pm Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
I would watch a youtube series on this!

It's in the works!

Norbuck wrote:
Quick typo correct- in the second last paragraph, I assume you meant vacillating, not facilitating.

Thank you, it's updated!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 8:14 am Reply with quote
Is the reuse of Lynzee's full title in each mention of her an inside joke of some kind? Razz

Dig the idea behind this. Am kind of a sucker for watching other peoples' Japan trips, and having an ANN-specific bent to it adds some special nuance.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 9:56 am Reply with quote
This is awesome, thank you Anime Aunties! I fully plan to visit Japan myself at some point, but right now it's great to be able to experience it vicariously through the eyes of some knowledgable anime devotees. Look forward to checking out the videos when I get a chance.

And of course Tokyo has a futuristic water bus designed by Leiji Matsumoto! Laughing
ChirashiD

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I've seen videos of that calico billboard during the day it really looks convincing, something about filming it at night ruins the effect.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

And of course Tokyo has a futuristic water bus designed by Leiji Matsumoto! Laughing

They are just wonderful! I've had the pleasure of riding Himiko several times during my visits to Tokyo.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm writhing in envy. Anime cry

I SHOULD BE THERE DARN IT WHY COULDN'T YOU TAKE ME WITH YOU. I CAN TRANSLATE STUFF???

I was in Japan in 2014. My former friend (cut me out of his life bah his loss) talked about going to a Maid Cafe....but chickened out once we arrived.

He sucks. Rolling Eyes

Didn't know the SM shrines were based on real shrines. Anime exclamation I DO remember a particularly geeky moment for me when I saw the a large tree wrapped in zigzag paper and crying out "OMG IT'S JUST LIKE THE TREE IN INUYASHA!!!"
Lawl.

The "zigzag paper" are 'talismans' I believe....
Sailor Moon was the first series where I learned Rei's Japanese phrase 悪魔退散!'Akuma Taisan!, "Demons, begone!" and my introduction to Shinto shrines and the anime miko archetype.

Also my fave was Usagi. Excluding the large appetite I just related to her so much. Don't want to study; want to play; me. Value sleeping way too much; me. Cry way too easily; me Missed the bus to go back home; all me. Laughing
(She is also the most petite of the teenaged senshi (4'11) Very few people know that. xD but that is MY height exactly!)
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 1:44 am Reply with quote
Sad that you didn't buy Upa toy like Mayushi have!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3