• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dead Mount Death Play (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 1:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 07: The Magician

Summary: Pending

Comments: Pending

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode 08: The Assassin

Screen Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Episode 09: The Signpost

Screen Caps:

smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:57 am Reply with quote
As the episodes go by it is becoming clear that the series is mostly about how the different factions clash and react to each other. It is far less of an isekai/reverse isekai adventure than most series.
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:41 am Reply with quote
I started this series with a great deal of enthusiasm. But it seems to have abandoned its own foundation. The fact that Polka was the Corpse Lord doesn’t even have a bearing on most of the show except as a cheap deux ex reason why he had some random ability. Misaka is mostly wasted going from snappy assassin to generic and boring zombie girl.

I don’t care about the police. The rando other villains are 1 dimensional and inserted at odd points.

I had high hopes but 8 ep in Im getting bored and wondering if there is a direction to this. So much potential just left laying on the table. Going in I thought this was going to be a 9/10 kinda show but it’s starting to feel like a tedious 6.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Sayo the Shark Otaku is the best thing about this series.
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Blood- I both find the shark an odd and annoying addition…and agree with you.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I am also interested in how the anime will end. A friend of mine who reads the manga told me that the mystery only grows larger with more information and movements between factions with not a moment of pause up until the latest chapter.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10: The Emblem

Screen Caps:

smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit, while the series is not at all what I first expected, I am loving the different factions duking it out and making plans. That team of special police seem like they can handle anything and now we have a fight between magic man from the wanted criminals faction, Lei from the grandfather faction and Lemmings from the Shinoyama army/guild. Meanwhile fire bug seems less and less human and might also be from the other world.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11: The Beginning

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:48 pm Reply with quote
That was a fun finale. Plenty of action, questions and different factions all trying to achieve something different. Judging by the end yet another group is joining the fray soon, so who knows what will happen next. I ended up liking the anime because of the interesting world, but it is very different from what I expected it to be. I thought it would be a story focused almost completely on Polka learning about his new world and in the end he is just one of the many players in the game.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:21 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (Finale)

I can't pretend I am actually understanding whatever the hell is going on, but I had fun, in any case. I'm glad we're getting the next cours in October. Maybe things will start making sense? Ha ha, probably not. In any case, Shark Otaku Sayo 4-eva!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:19 am Reply with quote
I would say that of the first season, I think that it is a bit messy, which in my mind it is like it is a little hard what I am meant to focus on in the series. Kind of like sitting on a boat/ship, and you are not sure if you should be focussing on the boat/ship, or focusing on the things outside of the boat/ship and distance. I know that likely sounds like it is total nonsense and a little unclear, but it is that there are small funny every day things happening around Polka, then there are the weird extra police things happening with the quirky magician guy, and then there are the world conspiracy and possible return of the church. I don't know if I should just be having fun with an overpowered character in a new world, or anxious about greater forces.

On those feelings, I do think that this sort of thing could work out great in a longer show, which is why I would look forward to more when it comes back in October, it is just as of now it feels like a lot. I don't know if the best comparison, but going through my thoughts it would be like we got 12 episodes of Magical Index, and got all the quirky people and greater conspiracies in that short time, you wouldn't know how to enjoy it for a small run. Granted a personal complaint of Index is that it went on for way too long and expansive, and I personally think I rather enjoy the character dynamics and quirky characters here. The show didn't do any annoying intrusive fan service, with the most I can think of was with shark Polka.

My rating as of the first season will be Good (7/10) worth seeing, but to be seen if it does anything that sticks the landing.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 12: The Sacred Place

Screen Caps:

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4