• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aya_honda

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:08 pm Reply with quote
To tell you the truth, even if I could ignore Kyo, I can't see Momiji and Tohru get together. Maybe it's because Momiji is so full of energy! I always have the feeling when reading the manga that he was yelling when talking (or talking very loud). Very Happy (I think someone did a thread concerning the voices heard when reading manga! Laughing) spoiler[I know that he can be full of sdness and profound thoughts but I just see him together with Tohru. I think that also he loves Tohru so much because she was ne of the first persons if not the only one that offered him loe and accepted his bursts of love as well. Being so natural around him of course conquered Momiji but then again I don't feel that they could have been together. I always felt that Tohru needed someone more mature than her and Kyo to some extent does that. And there are some things that only Kyo understands concerning Tohru. ]

I agree with fighterholic regarding the fact that somehow it can also be something as spoiler[the one that came first in the scenery and Kyo was the first to come and then in spite of the fact that Momiji gives hints of his love, there aren't any clear things about it. For instance we get to see in volume 11 at the seaside when Kyo realizes his love for Tohru and we also later get to see that Tohru sees something "special" in Kyo. There's too much of a connection between them from the very beginning, a connection that Momiji in spite of being one of the most lovable characters doesn't have with Tohru. ]

A possible couple formed by the two of them would seem to me a mismatch.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Actually, if the rule of first is applied, wouldn't that actually mean that Tohru should spoiler[be with Yuki]?

I don't think Momiji's seriously considered it but I think if he actually tried, spoiler[especially if Kyo wasn't doing anything to keep her, he'd get Tohru. If Tohru thought that Kyo didn't want her, she'd leave him alone even if it broke her heart. She'll fight to save him from being locked away but if he kept her at a distance long enough while Momiji was seriously trying to win her heart, I think she'd eventually fall for him.]
murph76

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I don't think Momiji's seriously considered it but I think if he actually tried, spoiler[especially if Kyo wasn't doing anything to keep her, he'd get Tohru. If Tohru thought that Kyo didn't want her, she'd leave him alone even if it broke her heart. She'll fight to save him from being locked away but if he kept her at a distance long enough while Momiji was seriously trying to win her heart, I think she'd eventually fall for him.]

Hmm... Maybe. spoiler[As I think someone brought up earlier, Tohru is mothering Momiji kind of in the same way she is mothering Yuki. Tohru wants the best for Momiji, as evidenced by her heartbreak over the fact Momo and Momiji have been kept apart when both want to be together, as big brother and little sister. I don't know if she could step out of that role, lose the motherly/sisterly feelings of affection and find romantic love for Momiji. However, Momiji has just recently "grown up." Maybe the new, handsome Momiji could be different to Tohru than the cute kid Momiji.]

-Murph
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:08 am Reply with quote
What I mean by spoiler[who got to who first was the love interest between the various characters. Kyo was the most challenging character to have to take care of, because in volume 6 his most hideous was revealed. Here was the part where Tohru would have to accept the Zodiac for what they truly were for, or walk away from the lifestyle she had come to enjoy. This event was the one that truly brought them closer. Yuki and Tohru were a couple of sorts, but it was evident that the romantic atmosphere between them was not going anywhere, and Tohru did not really display any of that kind of interest either. The same with the Momiji situation.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:18 pm Reply with quote
And besides I always get the feeling that inspite of the fact that spoiler[in volume 19 we have Momiji as a young man, he still remains quite childish. I don't know why I had this impression even after the maturization of Momiji finally happened. Perhaps that through all those volumes up to volume 19 he always was just so childish, always around for a good laugh, being full of energy and just being together with Kisa and Hiro together. And as it was mentioned before Tohru sees him as a child, as for instance in volume ten when Kisa, Hiro and Momiji and Kisa sleep and Tohru covers them not to get a cold. She was just like a mother to them and I don't think she would get so easily after this feeling. ]

I like the fact that in a way Tohru and Momiji resemble a lot especially when they have a certain spoiler[naivite about looking at things. I remember the scenes when Ayame appeared and Tohru told Momiji and Haru at school. And we get to see Haru telling them about what Ayame does and they both have the same reaction, not fully understanding what exactly Ayame does but probably imagining something really "exotic" (well, even now I'm not sure I fully understood what Ayame did in that shop of his. Rolling Eyes Laughing )]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:21 pm Reply with quote
In that sense there would be certain things that they both didn't know about, but had fun finding out together. And it was always like that. Even when we saw spoiler[for the first time that Momiji was taller and more handsome looking, he still had the bunny backpack on and wanted to go eat ice cream or something like that with Tohru. Then for him to suddenly say to her that he loves her and stuff, I think that she would have taken it as the brother-sister or mother-son type relationship. She wouldn't have understood how he truly felt.]
murph76

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Well, moving from one spoiler[failed love] relationship to the another, this week we will explore the depths of Yuki and Motoko. One's the prince, the other's the queen of the PriYukis.

They have an interesting dynamic. spoiler[Yuki's pretty clueless about his own popularity, and I think especially clueless that he has his own fan club. So he treats Motoko, and the other PriYukis, like he would anyone else: friendly but a bit distant. I think that just feeds his reputation for the PriYukis. For Motoko, what started as idol worship probably became the real thing. However, I think the more she grew to love him, the more she realized they could never be. She recognizes Yuki is opening up and changing, but she knows he sees her as a friend, and nothing else.]

I hope this topic is as lively as last week's! Very Happy

-Murph
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:09 am Reply with quote
And is it ever! Definetly true that spoiler[what started as an obsession ended up being something Motoko would have never expected, because sometimes love is difficult to tell when it's real or not. And when she was getting towards the end of her high school time she was noticing that Yuki was changing, out of the Yuki that she had once known, because he has been hanging around with Tohru, the other Zodiac members, and Hanachan and Uochan. On top of that, the newer members of the student council.]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:22 am Reply with quote
Somehow, I think that Mokoto, for all of her obsessing about Yuki, was the only one out of the PriYuki girls who could accept the fact that he was changing out of their Idealized Fantasy.

Which obviously meant that she, herself, was growing up too. But, she still wasn't quite ready to accept another love in her life...spoiler[Nao.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:18 am Reply with quote
I think that somehow Motoko and spoiler[Nao were alike in point of their love: on the one hand we have Motoko who was obsessive about Yuki in the beginning but then developed a real love for him (like the others mentioned before) and on the other hand we have Nao who loves her and I believe that he trully loved her especially because of the words said to her after she said goodbye to Yuki. ]

Well, from the girls in the PriYukis she seems to be the most normal one. spoiler[Those girls had issues... big ones. To steal all the paper flowers made by Yuki just because you didn't want anyone else to touch them made me laugh and wonder at the same time. Laughing Or going to poor Tohru just because she came to school with Yuki - I thought at the time that risa was the perfect bodyguard for Tohru to just keep away the PriYukis! Shocked ] And to think that Motoko ruled over those girls .... hmmm... not good, not good at all.
suna_suna

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:01 pm Reply with quote
and Yuki never realizedspoiler[how Motoko felt until it was too late. i think she was truly touched by Nao, considering he gave her a reason to keep going. i think that if they had been able to go through with it, Motoko and Nao would be great together]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:10 pm Reply with quote
The Prince Yuki Fangirls were something, though Motoko spoiler[was definetly the more calm of the whole crowd. If anything though, she definetly saw the changes of Yuki from what she and the others had thought about him, and probably she was the only one to actually realize that he was changing.]
murph76

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Other than spoiler[just idol worship, I never understood what Motoko and the PriYukis got out of worshiping Yuki from afar. They all seemed so consumed by it that their private lives must have suffered for it. At least Motoko saw the changes in Yuki, as many of you have mentioned, and realized she couldn't continue like that anymore. In a side column, Takaya-sensei mentions that when one of the PriYukis becomes president, Yuki will have graduated. It's frightening to think about, but I bet the club will continue long after that.] Shocked

-Murph
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:16 am Reply with quote
Yes, they were all so spoiler[indulged in their way of idolizing Yuki that I don't know if any of the girls trully knew Yuki except for Motoko. I think that she was the only one who trully saw Yuki as a person and not as an object to be idolized. Especially since she has observed the changes in him, as you guys mentioned. And I really liked the fact that she was able to see the good effects and not get jelous on Tohru just because she has succeeded in a mission that perhaps Motoko would have liked to carry out. ]

I think we clearly see an evolution in Motoko: remember how she was in the beginning when spoiler[she too didn't like Tohru and also when they went to Hana-chan at home? Laughing That was such a funny chapter. And the Motoko from that chapter is a different one from the Motoko from this last chapter when we get to see her and we get to see how she evolved in a very nice manner. She became definetly more mature and more understanding of the world. Perhaps because her obsession transformed itself into a real love for Yuki and she weas able to see beyond the facade. ]

On the other hand the PriYuki girls also made happen lots of funny things. spoiler[Also the chapter when they got Tohru to be the evil sister and they wanted so bad for Yuki to be the prince but in the end Kyo got the part. I loved their disappointment and the fact that they wanted to be mean with Tohru but just couldn't do it when Yuki was around. Laughing ] Poor girls! I tend to agree with murph! I think their obsession spoiler[ might have gone further even after the highscool was over!!! ]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:07 am Reply with quote
If Tohru had NOT come into Yuki's life, I don't that Makoto spoiler[would have changed. I think that she would have stayed that overly obsessive person that she was. Tohru was nowhere near Makoto at most times, yet Tohru did change her life much as Tohru changed the lives of everyone else near her.]

Tohru has a long reach.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 128 of 170