• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FanimeCon 2008 - Bandai Entertainment

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loka

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:22 am Reply with quote
i wonder if the Girl who Leapt through Time is to be high quality video and audio on 2 dvds, or if they will put extras on the second dvd.
indrik

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:39 am Reply with quote
I don't understand the Code Geass releases- is the higher episode count a sub-only, like Gurren Lagann, or somethign like that? If not, why would I want to pay $25 for five episodes rather than $30 for nine? And then which episodes come in the box? I guess this will all be sorted out before pre-order time.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The second volume of Lucky Star

Other than that, everything else written is air
melonbread

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:03 am Reply with quote
I don't see why The Girl Who Leapt Through Time isn't going Blu-ray either, seeing as it is in Japan in July..... *facepalm*
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:22 am Reply with quote
The Girl Who Leapt Thru Time while being a critically acclaimed film that caused salarymen to cry overseas could potentially bomb once it gets released over here.

Also, a Bluray announcement now may cause reverse importation if it is not released yet in Japan. The Japanese Bluray version is to be released on 7/25/2008. Sword of a Stranger got a Bluray announcement. It's Bluray version was released on 4/11/2008.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:24 am Reply with quote
indrik wrote:
I don't understand the Code Geass releases- is the higher episode count a sub-only, like Gurren Lagann, or somethign like that? If not, why would I want to pay $25 for five episodes rather than $30 for nine? And then which episodes come in the box? I guess this will all be sorted out before pre-order time.

While 30 bucks'ld be a pretty nice price, I wonder if ANN misquoted [or if Bandai had it wrong], since Toward the Terra's already been solicited for 19.98 single volumes and a 34.98 2-disc set. So it could be they got the Code Geass ones off too...... from my understanding, and past news announcement, we'll be getting 2 singles and one double-pack with each release. Unless there was a change of plans....

I think they're keeping up the singles to have lowpriced dvd's to spew at mass retailers, while offering a more value-oriented set of dvd's for collector's. All the discs come from the same pressing, so it probably evens things out.....
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:30 am Reply with quote
Bandai is slowly inching its way above Funimation as my favorite anime company. These models are fantastic I love all the options.

Looking forward to finally owning Gurren Lagann, Toward the Terra, and the Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Very Happy

Although I am wondering why 10 episodes for Toward the Terra and not 12. Are they going to divide the series like 10/14 or 10/10/4. Twelve episodes in two sets would have made more sense but oh well.

edit: Okay over at AOD they are saying the Toward the Terra release will have 8 episodes. That makes a lot more sense because it would mean the series is spread out through 3 releases.

Last edited by Maidenoftheredhand on Sat May 24, 2008 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:35 am Reply with quote
indrik wrote:

While 30 bucks'ld be a pretty nice price, I wonder if ANN misquoted [or if Bandai had it wrong], since Toward the Terra's already been solicited for 19.98 single volumes and a 34.98 2-disc set. So it could be they got the Code Geass ones off too...... from my understanding, and past news announcement, we'll be getting 2 singles and one double-pack with each release. Unless there was a change of plans....

I think they're keeping up the singles to have lowpriced dvd's to spew at mass retailers, while offering a more value-oriented set of dvd's for collector's. All the discs come from the same pressing, so it probably evens things out.....
prnoct90

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:09 am Reply with quote
Bandai announced that they are currently going to try many different release strategies, and see which ones work the best. That may be the cause for the price discrepancies between different series.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Napton announced that the first DVD of Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion would be released on August 5. There will be three variations sold concurrently: a bundle that will include nine episodes for US$29.98, a limited edition box, and a single DVD with episodes 1-5 for US$24.98. Napton also announced that the second bundle set would be ready for release by October 7, with the entire first season being released by January of 2009.

Well, they certainly aren't being slackers and wasting time. The entire first season out by Jan. 2009? WOW! Shocked

And 9 episodes for $30! Shocked Not bad at all...of course if it's sub only I might wait a bit for January to roll around...which I might do anyway. I'll see what TRSI's website will say when they get it listed.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:49 am Reply with quote
I just pre-ordered Toward the Terra on Amazon and the price for the bundle was $23+ the price for the singles were $13+ each. Of course the prices at the convention would probably be the most marked up price.
FanFicGuru

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:56 am Reply with quote
Thank you for all of your questions, I will answer what I can here and then double check my facts with Mr. Napton today. We will update the announcement as needed. This is my first con report for ANN so sorry if the format or information isn't as crisp. Anime hyper

Regarding The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, the special edition will have an audio commentary for the movie on the first disc, with additional special features on the second disc. It will not be the entire feature over the course of two DVDs.

The three different Code Geass releases all offer different advantages. First, there's the 9 episode bundle. The price is definitely an advantage, and whether or not it will be sub-only bare bones is unknown at this time. I will talk with Mr. Napton to confirm what the bundle will or will not include. The Limited Edition box will probably be retailed for $64.98, but I need to confirm this as well. Extras and such will be included as seen in the Lucky Star. The singles will also provide limited extras, incentive for those who might want to spend the money on the singles and complete the box as opposed to buying the three bundles that will be released in August, October and January.

I recorded the "Toward the Terra" prices as I saw them on his slide during the presentation. I will double check these prices with Mr. Napton to insure they are correct.

I will be talking to Mr. Napton in the next 20-30 minutes, and the announcement will be updated accordingly. Thank you all for your patience.

EDIT: The edits have been made. Thank you and let me know if there are any additional questions.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 2:53 pm Reply with quote
what is the special edition's episode count?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Crescent

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 3:41 pm Reply with quote
....Wait wait. It's nice and all that Bandai's trying to make their bigger titles more friendly by releasing them in respectably priced larger batches without the fluff, but... Is that article correct in citing that they'll be releasing each episode of Zwei standalone?

That has to be wrong, doesn't it? Surely they know that such a model is one that definitely, no way in hell floats in the American industry, for too many reasons to count. I guess can see them releasing Zwei in 2 two-episode sets, that's not it?
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 3:55 pm Reply with quote
FanFicGuru wrote:

EDIT: The edits have been made. Thank you and let me know if there are any additional questions.

Just one, though it may or may not be a bit late for it...anything more specific about about on-disc extras (not the manga, soundtrack and so forth, which are "external" extras) for the Code Geass releases? Especially the singles and the Limited Edition.

From the article, the standard bundles will be bare bones, but I'd like some more details on the rest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2