• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Skip Beat's TV Ad Streamed in Japanese, Chinese

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitsunelady

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm so excited! Anime hyper *squees*
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Yay!
Some actual footage! Can't wait for this show to air
:3
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:44 pm Reply with quote
So is there a reason that anime can premiere 5 days after the Japanese release date on Taiwanese TELEVISION, but American companies can't even release stuff less than a few month later on the WEB?

I mean, Taiwan is closer physically, but not THAT much closer. Sheesh.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Man, does that trailer look generic....
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:00 pm Reply with quote
kitsunelady wrote:
I'm so excited! Anime hyper *squees*

Ditto! Smile
cetriya

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:02 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
So is there a reason that anime can premiere 5 days after the Japanese release date on Taiwanese TELEVISION, but American companies can't even release stuff less than a few month later on the WEB?

I mean, Taiwan is closer physically, but not THAT much closer. Sheesh.

I thought there was a general bias against licensing shoujo animes. I mean there is not that meny over here to begin with in comparison to the shounen, seinen and general action shows.

Also, I hate just pure shoujo animes. All the flaws are magnified and the drawings are realy ugly.
Splash

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, shoujo does a lot better in Taiwan than it does in the states. Unless the states in general joins in some miraculous mindset change and comes with the demand for it, it ain't happenin'.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kyokat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Yay! I know the odds are against it in the current market, but I really hope this gets picked up. The manga's one of my absolute favorites.

cetriya wrote:
Also, I hate just pure shoujo animes. All the flaws are magnified and the drawings are realy ugly.

I'm trying to find a way to interpret this that isn't either massively sexist or just completely ignorant of a huge percent of the market, but I'm failing utterly. Seriously, WTH? "Flaws" aside, ugly shojo? Isn't one of the defining characteristics usually "pretty"?

And, while there is nothing wrong with "pure shojo," I do feel obligated to point out that Skip Beat follows the shonen formula surprisingly closely. Apparently getting acting jobs in Japan is strikingly similar to ninja/tournament/bread baking battles.
cetriya

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:05 am Reply with quote
to clear what I ment,

I mean that anime versions of shoujo styles tend to fail. GALS has been the only one that matchs, Parakiss they ended up changing a lot of its style, clamp is clamp. Shows like Mars, Peach Girl, Vampire Knight and this one, does a really bad job of transferring beautiful still art into movable art that is still pretty.

I don't know whats up with magical girls though, they keep consistent.

Flaws will happen in any illustration and shoujo seems to worry more about eyes, hair and cloths that things like body proportions get sacrificed so that the extra piece of lace is seen. Transfer that as movement and it doesn't look like an able body.

And what is it about my post that makes it sexist? I just hate pure shoujo animes cause they looked weird. I dont hate my own gender or think that we should all stay in the kitchen. In Fact, majority of manga is sexist, especially 'shoujo' manga since almost all feature women 'that cant get by with out a man' or ' the only thing they need to do is act cute (i.e stupid) , fall in love, finish high school(not a requirement) and get married'. Since you have an over sensitivity to 'sexism' then you should spare your self and not bother with japanese pop culture Rolling Eyes

As for market, the reason that has been given is that boys will rarely buy shoujo products but girls will buy both. Also, for some reason, boys are more likely to continually watch a rerun of a series on TV but girls less so. That is what have been said about Sailormoon. So companies decided to just focus on one side. Few will deal with shoujo/josei animes like Saiunkoku, sailormoon or fushigi yuugi.

Oh, I have a right to my opinion that I dislike shoujo animes cause I see most are ugly. It's my opinion to my choices of entertainment, not a hate speech.
CatzCradle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:41 am Reply with quote
I'll be definitely checking this out since it looks a great deal more visually appealing (the guys) than in the manga (ugh, no offense, but the ugliness scared me away...).

@Splash
Where is your avatar from?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1