• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Announces 37 Manga Licenses

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:57 pm Reply with quote
...certainly looks like a "spray and pray and hope something sticks" approach - that is, I'm not getting any sense of consistency in terms of titles being acquired. Although it can simply mean that when trying to get their hands on something like Loki or PMK, they are also being forced to grab a bunch of other titles...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if they get a special bulk discount.
LTGMars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:39 pm Reply with quote
JETBLACK87 wrote:
I wonder if they get a special bulk discount.

LOL!

Well, I'm glad that ADV manga is licensing stuff (it means they're growing), but that "stuff" encompasses a bunch of obscure titles that most people would never have heard of. It looks like they're picking up titles for the sake of having more titles to publish.
nicoruchan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know if anyone has licensed the prequel to Peacemaker Kurogane? My cousin doesn't know how to read Japanese yet, and after reading the 1st 6-vol series (Shinsengumi Immon Peacemaker) I think the extra background really adds to the enjoyment of PMK.
rage-demon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:23 pm Reply with quote
37 titles revealed, 963 to go.

It would be nice if they are grabbing titles that were requested. Sounds like that would be better than grabbing random titles.

(Still hopes Jungle Guu is in there somewhere)
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Even if it is bulk, they have been a marketing machine as of late. With any mediocre titles, they will still find a way of finding a demographic that they will appeal to and still turn a profit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zeiram

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Obscure? Hey, I'm all for the little guys getting their props. ^^ think adv will make a shonen jump kind of thing? hehe
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:28 pm Reply with quote
rage-demon wrote:

Are you referring to their "1000 volumes liensed" ?

If you are, then remember, it's 1000 volumes, not 1000 titles. A single title could well over 10 volumes.
rage-demon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
rage-demon wrote:

Are you referring to their "1000 volumes liensed" ?

If you are, then remember, it's 1000 volumes, not 1000 titles. A single title could well over 10 volumes.

Ah yes, i guess that is true. But then again, they didn't indicate how many volumes of each series they have. So at this point in time all we know for sure is that they have at least 37 volumes out of that 1000 confirmed.
Bishop

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Hot damn, that's a lot of titles to be suddenly announced.

ADV's really trying to compete with Tokyo Pop and Viz, it seems, by grabbing whatever they can and publishing in bulk.
Professor Genius

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:41 pm Reply with quote
This is absolutely beautiful! There goes even more of my semi-life being dedicated towards manga reading! That having been said, that little letter in the back from the translation team makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Personally, I'd like to see more manga related to titles from their catalog like Master of Mosquiton, Dragon Half, and Ruin Explorers. Not to steer the topic way off course, but how do your prefer your manga releases? Personally, I'm a big fan of those dust covers on comicsone releases and I love the shiny covers of the Shonen Jump manga line. So like, if there were a fusion of the two, I could just stare at it all day. Shocked
Rebecca

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Does anyone know if anyone has licensed the prequel to Peacemaker Kurogane? My cousin doesn't know how to read Japanese yet, and after reading the 1st 6-vol series (Shinsengumi Immon Peacemaker) I think the extra background really adds to the enjoyment of PMK.

I'm wondering about this too. They picked up numerous titles from Comic Blade, but as far as I know they only have the rights to Kurogane. Without the first six volumes from Immon, Kurogane wouldn't be as meaningful.

Considering though that the anime is called Peacemaker Kurogane, when most of the events and characters are from Immon, it's possible they have both and will simply call all of it Kurogane. We can hope at least..
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Let the oversaturation and implosion of the market begin.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:40 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Let the oversaturation and implosion of the market begin.

I wish what you said there had no basis in reality, I honestly do. But I've seen it before with video games in the early 80s and comics in the early 90s, though both were still a bit more mainstream than manga is currently.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping manga's success would allow for more variety, but it just seems like it's the complete opposite. And it's funny that you mention videogames, as http://www.pointlesswasteoftime.com/games/crash.html suggests they're next.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2