• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fans Bid 22,500+ Yen for Kannagi's Nagi Fan Club Cards

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:29 am Reply with quote
lol..wow
sarsman45

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:33 am Reply with quote
I want one too! but not for that much... 10 dollars tops. Crying or Very sad
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:00 am Reply with quote
Anime hyper I absolutely love that series! However, I don't think I'd pay more than $100 for the membership card. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
maaya

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:28 am Reply with quote
such a waste of money Shocked
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:51 am Reply with quote
Sorry, I read this and think "So what?" after seeing single manga volumes of Yamane Ayano's Viewfinder series go for anywhere up to $400 on eBay. And a lot of the other discontinued BeBeautiful volumes aren't far behind that in price. People will pay a lot for their hobbies and/or obsessions.
ABetterTimeandPlace

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:07 am Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
Sorry, I read this and think "So what?" after seeing single manga volumes of Yamane Ayano's Viewfinder series go for anywhere up to $400 on eBay. And a lot of the other discontinued BeBeautiful volumes aren't far behind that in price. People will pay a lot for their hobbies and/or obsessions.

That's pretty crazy, but at least with manga, we're getting 100-200 pages of artwork. This is 250 bucks for one small cut of cardstock with one tiny mass-produced pic.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:42 am Reply with quote
I'd understand if the card was worth actual money, but 250 dollars just for one or even a couple of cards is a complete waste of money.

Most I'd spend would be five dollars, just because this is just a card. But I wonder if this card is actually worth as much as much as 22,500 yen ($250 dollars)?
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:37 am Reply with quote
The anime & manga fans in Japan are more serious about their anime and manga than Americans or other countries are.
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure that the one who paid 250 for a card is the same kind of people who destroyed their Kannagi mangas after there was the slight possibility that Nagi wasn't virgin.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:39 am Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
The anime & manga fans in Japan are more serious about their anime and manga than Americans or other countries are.

No, really? I wonder if that's why they shell out $40 bucks per DVD containing only 2 episodes, and feel completely glad about it. That's why using the argument that they pay more for their stuff when we complain about prices here doesn't work, because they don't care about their higher prices. The cost of living in Japan is already high, and add their undying devotion to the fandom on top of that, they love paying more for their stuff, it's even a point of pride. $250 for something like this is nothing, chump change. They probably more in Gundam/naked figurines models monthly.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I have bought many oddball things before in the past for anime, but the only thing I have every spent so much on (aside from box sets) is the occasional large sized figure. I guess there should be some real perks to being part of the fan club...
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:14 pm Reply with quote
It's a pure Japanese way of dealing supply and demand. A limited quantity of 1000 cards for estimated 100,000-300,000 hardcore Japanese fans. It's not surprising to see the card bid price shoots up.

If that card was cheesy laminated card, I would laugh at those hapless Otakus. On the other hand, Japanese don't mess around product quality and craftsmanship. So they have the last laugh.

Quote:
That's pretty crazy, but at least with manga, we're getting 100-200 pages of artwork. This is 250 bucks for one small cut of cardstock with one tiny mass-produced pic.

You could say the same thing to postal stamp collectors. A stamp has beautiful art on one square inch paper and collectors shell out thousands of dollars on it.
I don't think that card is cardstock. It's most likely to be a plastic that your credit card is made out of. If that card was cheesy laminated card, I would laugh at those hapless Otakus. On the other hand, Japanese don't mess around product quality and craftsmanship. So they have the last laugh.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:11 pm Reply with quote
You know, the designs for the cards are on the official website,

Print
Auction
???
Profit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
pparker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Go, Kannagi! One of the few very good series this season, maybe even excellent depending on how it finishes. But I wouldn't spend that much for a membership card Rolling Eyes
ABetterTimeandPlace

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:29 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
You could say the same thing to postal stamp collectors. A stamp has beautiful art on one square inch paper and collectors shell out thousands of dollars on it.

I don't think that card is cardstock. It's most likely to be a plastic that your credit card is made out of. If that card was cheesy laminated card, I would laugh at those hapless Otakus. On the other hand, Japanese don't mess around product quality and craftsmanship. So they have the last laugh.

True, and yet, when a stamp does goes on Sotheby's for higher than even the usual inflated prices, it still makes the newspapers. This is eye-opening in anime fandom for the same reason. Unlike stamps that often take years or decades to reach that high, the fan club only launched a few months ago.

Sadly or amusingly, one of the auctions says that it's a laminated card.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2