• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Fairy Florence

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Animated on ones?? The whole movie? Holy shit, that's really, really impressive. Not even Disney films go that far, most of the time.

Also, thanks for The Thief and the Cobbler reference. It's one of those melancholy, cautionary anecdotes animators tell each other to warn of the evils of corporate studios--basically, the film was meant to be Richard Williams' masterpiece and he spent over 20 years working on it, only to have Warner Bros. take the project away from him because he went over a deadline and finish it without his input. So the final film is ultimately a flawed, discordant work with flashes of brilliance. When I think of what could have been it brings tears to my eyes.

Awesome article this week; I loved it. Keep it up!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Worse than Warner Bros., they might have actually cared about the final result. No, Thief and the Cobbler was taken over by the INSURANCE company and finished in Korea by a lowest-bidder, then sold to Disney (who started the Aladdin project to scotch the earth before Thief and the Cobbler could come out), redubbed and recut further. Basically, a classic worst-case scenario for any would-be auteur. (That said, the fan-assembled "director's cut" is really overlong and directionless... Stunning visually, but not a great film.)

I'm not sure the ENTIRE film is on ones, but a good deal of it is. Benjamin Ettinger's site has an article on the studio from around 1979 where they proudly declare, "ONLY Sanrio does FULL animation!"
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Benjamin Ettinger's site has an article on the studio from around 1979 where they proudly declare, "ONLY Sanrio does FULL animation!"

Link? AniPages' search engine isn't giving me the results I want.

I have to say, while the phrase "Sanrio animation" brings to mind dated images of fuzzy VHS tapes with bad tracking, their work really is generally beautifully animated. Unico 2 has one of my all-time favorite animated scenes in it. And now that you brought up the animated-on-ones thing, I have to go back and see if it's the same case with the scene I'm thinking of.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tenkaido

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I think this is that article:

http://www.pelleas.net/int/int3.shtml
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
liko-2000

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:45 pm Reply with quote
It's so cool that this got a review. I randomly found this feature on VHS at a thrift store for 3 dollars. I had no idea what it was except that I knew it was anime just from looking at it. I'll have to go digging for it now so I can watch it.
nicomorr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Tenkaido wrote:
I think this is that article:
http://www.pelleas.net/int/int3.shtml

And anyone interested, genuinely interested in animation itself & in animation techniques & in actual Japanese animators & animation directors should be a regular reader of Ettinger's very fine journals.

He should have enough material for several books by now, including a most exhaustive exegesis on Mind Game & Masaaki Yuasa.

Just browsing around, one of his first posts in 2004 on PlanetES said exactly what I'd never quite been able to put together.

I truly wish there were more serious and in-depth bi-lingual exponents of our beloved Japanese Art Form Twisted Evil

Nico M
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I have it on VHS, and it is really spectacular. You never know what you'll find in used video stores. Glad Justin reviewed it.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I used to have it on VHS, I think it was actually the first anime I might have ever seen when I was 3-4 (I doubt my parents would have known what anime is), it got lost during moving kinda thing.

I'll have to look online, I've been meaning to re-watch this. Been noticing a trend with the Sanrio movies from that era, I was wondering when this one would show up!
jcaliff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:14 pm Reply with quote
What do you know? The exact anime I asked about in the identifying anime thread a couple of months ago. Smile I remember really loving the animation on this movie. I wish I could find my old VHS tape.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
K.o.R

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:22 pm Reply with quote
How many times does Justin proclaim something hard to find on fansubs and then suddenly they're the biggest swarmed torrents? Wink

I dunno if I could handle this particular brand of sweetness myself.
Lupin the Third

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Might I recommend for a future installment, "Panda and the Magic Serpent?" It's more like old Disney in style than modern anime. Picked it up at Wal-Mart for $1 a couple years ago and was pleasantly surprised with the quality.

You didn't already do that one, did you?
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Lupin the Third wrote:
Might I recommend for a future installment, "Panda and the Magic Serpent?"

That might make a really interesting article, actually, considering its historical significance (and the fact it's one of Hayao Miyazaki's biggest influences). I remember sitting at a lecture about either this film or Alakazam the Great--I can't remember which--and when it was released in America it actually got great voice acting treatment, with some top talent from the time, including Jonathan Winters. [Edit: Found a link and it turns out it was Alakazam the Great--thanks, Mike Toole!]
ThatOneMan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:04 pm Reply with quote
This is an exquisite work, by far my favorite Sanrio movie. A lot of the early Sanrio movies were really good. They have that Ghibli charm. Even though it was made for kids it is still an enjoyable movie to watch whatever age you maybe. Well, the English dub is over the top cheesy with unneeded narration but the Japanese version is quite good.

There is one thing that bug me though. I'm sorry but this has happened many times where I wonder how you come up with the information that finding the rips of these are rare. Even a simple Google search would prove you wrong.
nicomorr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:08 am Reply with quote
Lupin the Third wrote:
.... "Panda and the Magic Serpent?" ..... Picked it up at Wal-Mart for $1 a couple years ago .....
You didn't already do that one, did you?

Seconded. We only have ADSA (owned by Wal-Mart) which would certainly not stock ancient Anime.
K.o.R wrote:
How many times does Justin proclaim something hard to find on fansubs and then suddenly they're the biggest swarmed torrents? Wink

Last night could only find a German sub, :anidb: only has that listed anyway?

Great that the real serious students crawl out of their pens for Justins digs; any chance of adding annotated video excerpts to Buried Treasure? Did you think of it & there are copyright problems? Would be good to have a kind of lectures on "and this section is a one, see the diff ...... etc etc. Do some teaching Justin, you seem to be jolly good at it.

A Hot London Morning, yippee,
Nico M Razz
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:13 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Lupin the Third wrote:
Might I recommend for a future installment, "Panda and the Magic Serpent?"

That might make a really interesting article, actually, considering its historical significance (and the fact it's one of Hayao Miyazaki's biggest influences). I remember sitting at a lecture about either this film or Alakazam the Great--I can't remember which--and when it was released in America it actually got great voice acting treatment, with some top talent from the time, including Jonathan Winters. [Edit: Found a link and it turns out it was Alakazam the Great--thanks, Mike Toole!]

Hey, for the record, the Miramax theatrical version of The Thief and the Cobbler (Arabian Knight YEAH) also had the voice talent of Jonathan Winters.

You knew that, I just wanted to bring it up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2