• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV, Funimation Add New Anime Titles Online

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kefkaownsall

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Oh Dragonaut that's gonna get a ton of views. Sarcasm aside sweet.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I imagine they're dub only, which is a shame, Norio Wakamoto saved Burn Up! for me.

kefkaownsall wrote:
Oh Dragonaut that's gonna get a ton of views. Sarcasm aside sweet.

It's even better than I hoped! Now no one will buy the DVDs if they watch the free stream. It'll go "Wow, what a piece of shit, I'm glad I got to see how bad this was now rather than spending any real money/time on it". The only way I can I could see that show having been picked up is because they're so buddy-buddy with GONZO, Rosario + Vampire would have been a better addition to be honest. All the reviews I have seen have been negative, the fansubbers struggled through it, and you know they're gonna waste time/effort dubbing this when that money could be going to licensing other things.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Fri May 08, 2009 5:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
kefkaownsall

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Tis a shame Funi isn't streaming Gankutsuou. I was assuming either a package deal or Funi neede to monopolize Gonzo. Actually I just throught of something in relation to what you said. They are posting the eps since NO ONE will buy the DVDs (they'll just stream and realize it's crap) and that way Funi can make money off of a product that sucks.
RenTers

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Gankutsuou finally on iTunes?

I heard this is a really show, and I also feel very interested in checking this out.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:47 pm Reply with quote
kefkaownsall wrote:
Tis a shame Funi isn't streaming Gankutsuou. I was assuming either a package deal or Funi neede to monopolize Gonzo. Actually I just throught of something in relation to what you said. They are posting the eps since NO ONE will buy the DVDs (they'll just stream and realize it's crap) and that way Funi can make money off of a product that sucks.

Dragonaut is what really got everyone's GONZO hate-boner going strong. There had been some of it before, like Witchblade being a pretty dumb show only salvageable because of the huge tits, but they just went overboard in Dragonaut. I think the only good that came out of it were pretty hot doujinshi featuring Garnet MacClaine.

What's weird is that the CG in Last Exile seems to work while in later products it feels like they went backwards in technology. Other than a pretty odd end, that and Gankutsuou are easily their better works. I'd probably count Vandread too if the CG didn't remind me of Season 1 Reboot.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:49 pm Reply with quote
RenTers wrote:

I heard this is a really show, and I also feel very interested in checking this out.

Take it from someone who bought the Geneon boxset (albeit on sale): It is a really good show! This should hopefully be a cheap way for you preview it... what are they asking per episode?
kefkaownsall

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:25 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
kefkaownsall wrote:

Dragonaut is what really got everyone's GONZO hate-boner going strong. There had been some of it before, like Witchblade being a pretty dumb show only salvageable because of the huge tits, but they just went overboard in Dragonaut. I think the only good that came out of it were pretty hot doujinshi featuring Garnet MacClaine.

What's weird is that the CG in Last Exile seems to work while in later products it feels like they went backwards in technology. Other than a pretty odd end, that and Gankutsuou are easily their better works. I'd probably count Vandread too if the CG didn't remind me of Season 1 Reboot.

My thoughts with Dragonaut. Eps 1-4 okay. Then the people piloted the dragons. Crappy CG and stupidity overload. Still I'm doing the right thing and watching EF while it plays in the background.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:50 pm Reply with quote
All dubs, no subs? Nothing for me to see then...
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:15 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:

How will we ever go on? I on the other hand think this is great and it's nice to see ADV doing.. something.
Brians9824

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:19 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
kefkaownsall wrote:

Dragonaut is what really got everyone's GONZO hate-boner going strong. There had been some of it before, like Witchblade being a pretty dumb show only salvageable because of the huge tits, but they just went overboard in Dragonaut.

To each their own. Witchblade has gotten pretty good rankings on ANN considering its based off a US comic and me and quite a few others definitely enjoyed it. anime#4284

Even the reviews on ANN have been pretty solid.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:26 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I don't hate GONZO; far from it. But Dragonaut...

If it weren't so long, I'd tell you all to get it and watch the feel-good comedy of last year. That series was unintentionally hilarious! Laughing
configspace

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:55 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I think the only good that came out of it were pretty hot doujinshi featuring Garnet MacClaine.

lol.. Dragonaut ero doujins vs Dragonaut anime

I wonder if Funi's still gonna go through usual process of dubbing then DVD release
RenTers

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:28 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
RenTers wrote:

Take it from someone who bought the Geneon boxset (albeit on sale): It is a really good show! This should hopefully be a cheap way for you preview it... what are they asking per episode?

Only $1.99 per episode, the whole season price varies depending on the episodes,

but hey, I'll probably spend the 2 bucks like twice a week, whenever I actually get the chance to sit down and watch it
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:31 am Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:

Do you EVER realize that maybe the rights to the Japanese audio may not be possible for Funimation to acquire? Or that that the price for the Japanese audio costs far to much for Funimation to acquire for online purchasing?

If you want the Japanese audio, buy the dvd. Complaining won't solve anything at all.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:20 am Reply with quote
I disagree with you there. Complaining may not solve anything, but it seems like some in the industry do come here on occasion so people making it clear that they dislike things of that nature is certainly ok in my view. Also, I happen to think complaints is just part of feedback. It seems odd to expect a thread full of nothing but praise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2