• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: YouTube, Crunchyroll Stream Kurokami TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:56 am Reply with quote
lol, was just watching this just a few hours ago.
but I only have one question, if it's dubbed, how is it being aired just one week after being aired in japan and what not, and still be dubbed? i didn't think you could dub episodes that fast. anyways, gonna have to finish it later, seems like a good series so far.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:16 am Reply with quote
Because it was news back in December before it started airing, that Bandai had licensed it and was dubbing it off the storyboards for a same day US dubbed broadcast.

Kinda ashamed to say it, but I downloaded the tvrip of the first episode dubbed and compared it to the Japanese raw, and I actually enjoyed the US dub voices more. So the opportunity to watch the dub of this is really appreciated, rather than a sub, since there has been no mention of a DVD release, and one episode was just not enough.

Youtube, here I come.
K.o.R

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:45 am Reply with quote
And once again I'm treated to that wonderful fact that the English-speaking anime world doesn't include, oh let's see... ENGLAND.
melonbread

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:20 am Reply with quote
Dubbed only? How pathetic...
DFBTG

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:54 am Reply with quote
Saw the first four episodes a while back, and wasn't all that impressed. Still, I suppose it's a nice thing that they're doing this.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:29 am Reply with quote
K.o.R wrote:
And once again I'm treated to that wonderful fact that the English-speaking anime world doesn't include, oh let's see... ENGLAND.

Yes, how dare the American companies not have the rights to make it available to a non-American nation? Confused

Unless I missed some news that England became a part of North America, since I do sometimes fall behind on current events. Wink
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:03 am Reply with quote
It's times like these that I'm glad there are fansub groups subtitling it seeing as the people behind the series aren't interested in making it available to a wider-speaking English audience via streaming and it'll probably be only available on DVD in the UK at obscenely expensive prices... Twisted Evil
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:07 am Reply with quote
I've seen the first 3 eppies so far and I like it. The only thing is that Kuro, the lead girl, gets bashed around quite a bit in a disturbingly visceral way. Kind of reminds me of Shikabane Hime in that regard, but maybe because the girl in that series was kind of grim anyway, it didn't seem as bad? Kuro is a sunny, innocent character and its kind of hard to watch her get walloped around even though the action is animated.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:11 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
since there has been no mention of a DVD release, and one episode was just not enough

First DVD release coming out in June...
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:12 am Reply with quote
That's crazy. I've been watching fansubs of this and never even knew that there was a dubbed version out there. I'll definitely support this (especially since I already subscribe @ Crunchyroll). Moves like this are what companies need to be doing imo.

I hope it goes really well for them. Kurokami isn't even that well known in the US, but companies are serious enough to get rights and start dubbing it so that dubbed episodes can comes out within 1 week of airing in Japan... meanwhile you have stuff that relatively huge in the US like FullMetal Alchemist and Evangelion which don't have any release dates in sight. The new Eva movie has been in Japan for over a year now and there still isn't a US release date yet.
Acinom

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:13 am Reply with quote
I was a little bit worried about how the dub would turn out but damn, Bandai did a really good job with it.

I've watched a few episodes and so far I find it, at the very least, a fun watch. Kind of hoping that Kurokami does a bit more with the concepts of Terra and fate, but I think I would be satisfied with watching Kuro continue to kick ass.

The animation is gorgeous!
braves

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:17 am Reply with quote
I guess this makes up for putting it on iaTV.

Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
The new Eva movie has been in Japan for over a year now and there still isn't a US release date yet.

November 10.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
edzieba

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:26 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Yes, how dare the American companies not have the rights to make it available to a non-American nation?
Oh, hey, regional licensing. Otherwise known as "We won't take your money, but will bitch and moan when you acquire it elsewhere". Has the internet taught people nothing about global distribution?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:45 am Reply with quote
Finally! I can finally watch it. Considering the DVD release is going to be awhile. I guess I'll check out the manga later.
The_X_box_360

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:55 am Reply with quote
I guess I should be happy that Crunchyroll felt confident enough to host a dub-only series that's still airing new episodes.
However, I find myself only able to be thankful that it's a Sunrise series, considering the good job that was done with their Code Geass anime.

Speaking of Sunrise, it's nice to finally see an ANN article concerning a Sunrise series that's being released on Crunchyroll, without the article writer referring to Surnise as Bandai this and Bandai that and only mentioning Sunrise by name once... twice.. or not at all.
For some reason, it just felt weird whenever they did that. Anime smallmouth
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3