• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4th Rising Stars of Manga Competition

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully by the time I've finished a couple years of artschool, they will still have this competition. *still isn't ready* Anime cry Must continue to learn how to ink properly!!!
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:00 pm Reply with quote
This is all very nice, but it's only really open to americans. I'm from the u.k so obviously there's a problem.

Tokyopop need to realise they have a lot of customers from other nations and should also let them enter.

Refering to the books as Amerimanga i think is kind of rubbing it in a bit. Doujishi manga would be a better name, since that's basicly what winners get to do.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Onizuka666 wrote:
Refering to the books as Amerimanga i think is kind of rubbing it in a bit. Doujishi manga would be a better name, since that's basicly what winners get to do.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this comment, but I don't really see what doujinshi has to do with the rising stars "amerimanga" contest. Doujinshi are fan comics based on already created material. The people entering the contest use their own original material. What the winners get to publish is their own original material.
Dejiko

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:54 am Reply with quote
Onizuka666 wrote:
This is all very nice, but it's only really open to americans. I'm from the u.k so obviously there's a problem.

Tokyopop need to realise they have a lot of customers from other nations and should also let them enter.

I'm from Holland and I feel this frustration too. Luckily, AniWay magazine is going to launch a manga competition this summer, to offer European creators a similar chance at exposure. A press release will pop up in the near future Wink

littlegreenwolf wrote:
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this comment, but I don't really see what doujinshi has to do with the rising stars "amerimanga" contest. Doujinshi are fan comics based on already created material.

No, the term doujinshi refers to a wide range of fanmade products. They don't have to be based on existing material, but often are. There's also doujin games, movies and merchandise, but that rarely pops up outside of Japan.

Besides that, the term would be not applicable here, since we're not talking about work that is self-published, but put out by a company, even though the artists aren't pro.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:45 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Doujinshi are fan comics based on already created material. The people entering the contest use their own original material. What the winners get to publish is their own original material.

Not quite. Doujin are non-professional or self-published comics. These include fan-comics based on published titles and original works.

Fred Gallagher refers to Megatokyo as doujinshii.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Allright, but I still don't think the winner's work should be called doujinshi since they are being published by a real company. Thinks like megatokyo are understandable since it's published first online by the creators.

Yay, my knowledge of doujinshi has been expanded today.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1