• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Hero/Heroine Tournament: Finished!

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Match B-29: Balsa
As fun as it was seeing Onizuka humiliate class bullies to show them the error of their ways, Balsa seems to be the far better hero for this match from what I've heard of her. Might as well see how she fares with anime's beloved Battousai two rounds from now.

Match B-30: Vash
Vash is less flawed than Utena in showing heroism as Utena spoiler[does find her ideals turned into a hypocrisy when she falls for Akio]. Not to mention Vash has more lives to protect and puts himself at risk far more often.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mow123

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, it actually looks like that I might have a chance to place in top 3 for once. Don't want to jinx myself by saying it to early, but it's to see that I haven't botched my bracket like I have done so well in the past. It's also nice to see the two admins, Key and Abunai do well, too. And now for my votes:

Match B-29: Balsa
As awesome and inspirational as Onizuka is, he just has too many flaws for me to vote fro him when he is up against such a tough opponent. Both characters have their merits, but Balsa wins on the basis of having none of the many flaws that plague Onizuka's character. They make him seem more real and down to earth, but just his lechery and simple mindedness alone are enough for me to vote against him at such a late stage in this tournament.

Match B-30: Vash
Strangely enough, I believe that Vash has been both overestimated and underestimated. He certainly doesn't deserve to be tournament's favorite to win it all, but he also deserves to do better than has in past rounds. I've voted for Utena in every round, but I believe that Vash wins on the basis of being less hypocritical, and less willing to compromise his own values based on passion.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:47 am Reply with quote
mow123 wrote:
Hmm, it actually looks like that I might have a chance to place in top 3 for once. Don't want to jinx myself by saying it to early, but it's to see that I haven't botched my bracket like I have done so well in the past. It's also nice to see the two admins, Key and Abunai do well, too.

There's a chance people could gain ground on me this group, as I have doubts that I picked the winner right in one of these two matches. Same for Group C.

Of course, I could just be messing with you by giving you false hope. . . Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:26 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
I didn't see anything in there about Vash or how he's a poorly developed character. Which he isn't.

I mean that he is poorly handled. A character that vows not to kill is not original, but it’s not a bad thing. Balsa is an example of a well handled character that vows not to kill. Her back-story and reason for that is not formulaic or at least I have yet to see spoiler[a character that doesn’t kill because of lives that were taken in order to protect that person.]

Unfortunately, Vash's back-story doesn’t offer anything new, nor does it try to alter the two clichés which are used: a dead girl and an evil twin. I wouldn’t mind if they had been done well and blended with the story, but they don’t. It’s painfully hard to be oblivious of these clichés, since they stand out like sore thumbs. That is why Vash fails to impress me, which also means that I fail to see how he could be an inspirational hero.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:11 pm Reply with quote
So, we're nearing the weekend and turnout is currently half of our previous lowest this tournament. This is a bit surprising, as although we do tend to get a small rush at the end of a round, we had been seeing the bulk of the participation come in the first couple of days. The previous round had reversed the slight declining trend in participation, too. The match between Vash and Utena is reasonably close, especially considering how high Vash's support was during the nomination stage. (Onizuka could come back if turnout ends up being about the usual and late voters heavily him, but that seems unlikely).

If you mean to vote and haven't done so yet, don't put it off too long.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Group B-29
Eikichi Onizuka , Great Teacher Onizuka
vs.
Balsa, Moribito – Guardian of the Spirit

I know this is going to sound like a strange justification for a vote, but it's the one that works for me... I vote for Balsa, because she carries a heavier emotional burden than Onizuka (who is just a little bit too carefree to carry much of any burden, at all). To me a hero is somehow more heroic when he or she is a tragic figure than a comedic one -- and Balsa's story does carry a deep current of past tragedy. Although I dearly love Onizuka-sensei, I must forsake him for Balsa.

Group B-30
Utena Tenjou, Revolutionary Girl Utena
vs.
Vash the Stampede, Trigun

When you get right down to it, the noble pacifism of Vash is what really seems to me to be the point of heroism -- any fake "hero" can destroy the village in order to save it, but it takes a true hero like Vash to sacrifice himself to the extent that he does, in order to avoid harming anyone. Even the bad guys.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Olliff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Group B-29
vs.

Balsa

Onizuka's heroics come from the heart, and he truly only wants what is best for his students. However, compared to to Balsa, the choice is clear. Onizuka's purity is sorely lacking, and the seriousness of the situations that Balsa faces are much grimmer. Onizuka is an all-around good guy, but he has many flaws that question the purity of his heroics - something Balsa doesn't have in the slightest.

vs.

Vash

While clearly overestimated in the nominations phase, Vash's displays of well intentioned pacifism and his willingness to sacrifice his body and limb give him the clear edge here. I also feel that Utena is by far the weakest character still left in this tournament. From the surface, her aims are noble, and I admit that her determination is certainly admirable. However, her motivations behind her goals becomes less than heroic when a certain someone enters the picture. Can't say that I'm an adamant fan of either choice, but against Utena I think Vash deserves the win.
AbyssalOne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:27 am Reply with quote
Group B-29
vs.

Voting for: Balsa

Reason: Not much more need be said in support of Balsa here: her noble heroics much surpass the somewhat goofy good intentions of Onizuka.

Group B-30
vs.

Voting for: Vash

Reason: The various arguments made in favor of Vash earlier have reaffirmed my own convictions that Vash does indeed deserve to win here.
murph76

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Group B-29
vs.

Voting for Balsa. Just watched the third DVD last night. Balsa protects Chagum. However, she also wants him to become a normal little boy both to blend in with commoners and for his own well-being.

Group B-30
vs.

Voting for Vash. Capable of action, but refuses to kill. Wants nothing more than to live and enjoy life, but will fight when something threatens that, especially when the threat is to those around him.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Group B-29
vs.
My vote: Balsa
Balsa is a very strong candidate, in my view. She has a lot of the same good qualities Kenshin does: brave, protects others, tries to avoid killing even her enemies. But I consider Balsa the stronger character, as her reasons for doing what she does are different than Kenshin's.Aand she also has a certain other special quality that is hard to describe. Agreeing to take care of Chagum, she essentialy if forced to become a mother, and she does so admirably.

Group B-30
vs.
My vote: Utena
Utena has always seemed like a strong candidate, but the thing that stands out to me now is the incredible choice and sacrifice she makes at the end of the series.
farichada

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Group B-29
vs.
My vote: Onizuka
No doubt I am in the minority here, but Onizuka seems like the more down to earth hero. Balsa is just to pristine and flawless for me to consider her a victor against someone who feels so much more real and earthy. I know this is my preference speaking, but honestly both are such wonderful heroes. Though I vote for GTO, I believe that Balsa is much stronger than many of the remaining contenders, but not against Onizuka - he puts his body, life and mind on the line for his students and truly cares. He acts with the best of ability despite his many shortcomings and limitations.

Group B-30
vs.
My vote: Vash the Stampede
Utena may be a classic, but too much of her heroics are only focused on one person. It also doesn't help her cause that she allows her principles to become compromised when she pursues her passions.
ccdx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Group B-29
vs.

The good hearted wonderful influential teacher Onizuka doesn't stand a chance here. Balsa is so much more a hero in almost every way. She's extremely brave, high skilled, and has a great conviction to help others, not just those she's currently protecting.

Group B-30
vs.

Vash gets my vote. Utena just can't measure up in terms of heroic prowess. The clip shows her one big moment at the end of the series. All heros in this tournament have their one big moment for which they're most remembered for, but the greatest hero of them all must have more. You could almost make an argument that Utena isn't even the main character of the series. Most episodes deal with showing us the back story of her dueling opponent at the end of each show. She kinda of just steps in at the end to right wrongs and convince them that their way of thinking is wrong, in some cases purely by force. She just doesn't have as much character development as some of the other contestants. I find myself wanting to know more about her in order for her to get my vote, or is this all there is??
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Round 4 Group B is now closed.

. . .And with a meager (and entirely disappointing) 18 votes, I might add. Shouldn't be any mystery who the winners are; Balsa triumphed by a hefty 16-2 margin over Onizuka, while Vash had a little more competition but ultimately knocked out Utena 13-5. That sets up another interesting Group Final next round.

And on the plus side for those who aren't me, I foolishly tabbed Utena to take out Vash this round, so my lead in the minigame will now dwindle. Razz He has a far tougher competitor next round, though.

For this round, we have a couple of good pairings coming up next.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Round 4 Group C is now open!

This one's (mostly) about the ladies. Will Nausicaa or Kurau come out on top? Can Luffy stop the juggernaut that is Duck? (And really, how silly-sounding a statement is that given who we're talking about here?) Let's at least hope that more people vote than last round; not breaking 20 when we were in the 30s in the first round is kinda sad.

Anyway, onto business!

Group C-29
Nausicaa, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
vs.
Kurau Amami, Kurau Phantom Memory

Group C-29
Monkey D. Luffy, One Piece
vs.
Duck/Princess Tutu, Princess Tutu
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Match C-29: Nausicaa
This has to be the tightest match for this round as both heroines have fought for peaceful coexistence between two separate existences (humanity and nature for Nausicaa, humanity and the Rynax for Kurau). But considering that this heroine had to rise to be a leader who could show hope and perseverance for her people spoiler[following the murder of her father], I'm gonna have to give this match to Nausicaa.

Match C-30: Duck
Luffy's usual journeying against rival pirates seems to pale in comparison to the hardships faced by Duck from what I've heard of both characters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 58 of 77