• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: DC Manga Licenses?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:13 pm Reply with quote
DC and GALS? O.o Wow... even if they haven't licensed it... wow... GALS just doesn't seem like DC thing.
tekkaman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I am not to happy about this development. I know that the manga will be heavily edited when they are released just like Batman: Child of Dreams by kia Asamiya. In fact, DC comics should just stick to the their superhero stuff like the up comming identity crsis saga.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:42 pm Reply with quote
tekkaman wrote:
I know that the manga will be heavily edited

No, you assume.

And I think that there's a decent chance that you are right.

But you don't know anything. You don't know whether or not DC has licensed these titles, and you don't know how DC would treat them if they did have the licenses, and you don't know if DC could be persuaded otherwise.

-t
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:02 pm Reply with quote
tekkaman: How was it edited?
tekkaman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:17 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
tekkaman: How was it edited?

I bought the book and read through it. The original Japanese sound effects are removed and replaced with English words; nothing wrong with that, but the word size is too large and sometime cover up almost all of the panel. This kept reminding me of the the 1960's Batman TV series and make it difficult to keep the pace of the manga. Dialogue sometime doesn't make sense; making the story difficult to follow. I felt that it was so bad that I had to get a Japanese version to see what I missed. Compare to how Viz Comic translated Silent Mobius and Steam Detectives and how CPM translated Dark Angel, both of which I really enjoy, DC comics did a poor job in my opinion.
jfrog

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:18 am Reply with quote
That's not editing. That's just a bad translation. Keep in mind that it was the first time DC handled foreign material, and it was still done better than the average Tokyopop release.

littlegreenwolf wrote:
DC and GALS? O.o Wow... even if they haven't licensed it... wow... GALS just doesn't seem like DC thing.

I don't see why not. DC also publishes Road to Perdition, A Contract With God, My Faith in Frankie, and MAD Magazine reprints.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:55 am Reply with quote
Just be happy it's not IMAGE. Of course IMAGE just likes to rip off manga.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:02 am Reply with quote
I think we've reached a point where we just instantly complain about every new development, period. We show instantaneous negative skepticism about everything that happens in the anime and manga industry. If some company licenses something, OH NO THEY'LL SCREW IT UP, even if they have no track record or a good track record. ADV licensed a show? OH NO! Bandai licensed a show? OH NO! I mean, is there any company we actually trust? Or like?

We have absolutely no clue what DC Comics will do. A new imprint means a new marketing strategy, a new line of books, and potentially a new attitude. We'll see. That's all we can say.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:46 am Reply with quote
jfrog wrote:
I don't see why not. DC also publishes Road to Perdition, A Contract With God, My Faith in Frankie, and MAD Magazine reprints.

GALS for one is a shoujo manga, with tons of Japanese culture refrences, not to mention it's lacking of superheros. I just would not expect it to be one of the first things they try licensing.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I'd be more excited if I hadn't already been reading GALS! in French since last summer.

Nothing graphic happens in GALS!, but, since Ran and company often go into Fat Albert didactic mode, helping single-appearance teens with their "true-to-life" problems, there are allusions to prostitution, and sexual harassment which would have to be heavily written around if they weren't going to include them intact, but since GALS!/Super GALS! isn't attached to any mass merchandising kids' franchises, I'll just assume that DC will label the comic as being for girls above the age of 14 or so (even if that's on the high end of the range of the target audience in Japan).

I'm assuming DC will be looking at the companies which are most successful with manga as examples to follow, and there's very little in the way of actual editing going on in manga domestically except for extreme cases like Narutaru/Shadow Star.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I just realized something. I know one thing they might have to modify in GALS! for legal reasons: all the references to stores like 7-Eleven, Gap, HMV, and Tower Records and fast food places like McDonald's and KFC, complete with unaltered logos. I've seen the Goodyear and Texaco logos in Oh My Goddess! in unaltered form, but GALS!, taking place in Shibuya with streets lined with famous, trendy, often western, store chains, has ten times as many real-life logos.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:07 pm Reply with quote
You're right Zac. We are very scared of having anime and manga screwed up when licensed. I can understand that, but we should give DC a chance to get it right. If anyone has issues or worries and you really need to get it off your chest, give DC feedback.

It should be interesting to see whether things are left intact or edited. I'll give DC a chance, since they are a big name in comics and joining the manga party, after all if you can't beat em, join em. Marvel have already had their fingers in the manga pie before, so perhaps DC's moves are to be expected.

There's one element that may have swung DCs decision, and that is that manga is the golden key to the market the comics industry has been trying to break for several years, and that's the female sector. I wouldn't be surprsed if Marvel eventually follow suit, and we all end up with Tokyopop style product on sale, which is no bad thing. Anything that gets people reading more is a good thing for all in this tv/pc infested world.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jfrog

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:26 pm Reply with quote
DC is not going to edit anything. If you have any worries, go read Preacher. They don't have any problems with a midget Klansman having sex with a human-shaped pile of meat, so they're not going to have any problems with Gals.

And I doubt the logos will be edited out. Remember the giant Coca-Cola sign from the X movie?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:28 pm Reply with quote
jfrog: Yep. They have a variety of different comic book labels which tackle mature material, so I don't think it would change anytime soon.
jfrog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:17 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't really call Preacher "mature" by any strech of the word, but what the hell.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2