• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cameron: Still Looking at Battle Angel 'Very Seriously'

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Rolling Eyes

Last edited by GATSU on Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:07 am; edited 2 times in total
Scamp

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think it's actually…you know what, it's not a great time to ask a woman if she wants to have other kids when she's crowning.

Best reply ever.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Wow. That's one hell of a metaphor. Though it's nice to hear that Alita is still planned as Cameron sounds like he does want to have more kids.
edzieba

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:38 pm Reply with quote
So, basically the same "when I don't have anything else to do" reply from the last couple of years. I'm still looking forward to it if it ever does materialise, but it's looking increasingly unlikely to ever happen.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I still just want to know if she'll be Alita (American version) or Gally (Japanese version). And about a half a dozen other name changes the American adaptation did. Seriously, can someone tell me why they changed her name? I've always wondered.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Hollywood Reporter trade newspaper reported in 2008 that Cameron wanted "to do something a lot smaller"

What's with Directors and wanting go down to small projects lately?

I don't know the first thing about Battle Angel but I think I would want to see it.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:26 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
So, basically the same "when I don't have anything else to do" reply from the last couple of years. I'm still looking forward to it if it ever does materialise, but it's looking increasingly unlikely to ever happen.
Well, the fact that Cameron is making ANY movie is a good sign. For a while he was resting on his laurels and just making documentaries about the ocean. Now, not that I knock those films. They're fantastic and the field of documentary films deserves more appreciation. Yet fans really want Cameron back doing fiction. And finally he has returned with Avatar. Plus he's said before stuff developed for this groundbreaking technological film will be applied to Alita. Considering how anticipated this is, I can only imagine how epic Alita will be. Both this and Alita have been in the works for years.
vashfanatic wrote:
I still just want to know if she'll be Alita (American version) or Gally (Japanese version). And about a half a dozen other name changes the American adaptation did. Seriously, can someone tell me why they changed her name? I've always wondered.
99% sure they'd go with the popularized American title of Battle Angel Alita. That's what they've called it before and I don't see them changing it. As for how it happened, not sure. I'd guess maybe it's from when the anime came over and Viz changed the names in the manga to match?

Interesting note about Triphares. Going through a new agey store, in Salem ironically, I noticed a card about the Sephirot from Kabbalah. In the middle it said 'Tiphereth' and at the top there was 'Kether'. Immediately I thought of the Alita manga, with Ketheres being the space city above. I have no idea how those names came about in the book.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Y'know, if Cameron would stop publicly announcing that he's still putting the project off and just...surprise us with it one day, I'd be a lot less annoyed with him. The constant "oh, yeah, I'll get to that at some point soon maybe kinda eventually when I feel like it after this movie and the third one after that sort of maybe yeah" announcements after every other movie he finishes get old. If he's not working on it, I don't wanna hear that he's still not working on it, I wanna hear that he's working on it when he actually starts it and no sooner.

Last edited by Nagisa on Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:05 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Interesting note about Triphares. Going through a new agey store, in Salem ironically, I noticed a card about the Sephirot from Kabbalah. In the middle it said 'Tiphereth' and at the top there was 'Kether'. Immediately I thought of the Alita manga, with Ketheres being the space city above. I have no idea how those names came about in the book.

Yes, and its sister-city had its name changed to Bihar IIRC, after another of the sephiroth. Evangelion syndrome, perhaps? I'd think Salem would be religious-sounding enough, but who knows.

(Also, Kabbalah technically isn't "New Age," as it's a Jewish mystical system dating back to the Middle Ages that only recently was stripped of its Halakhic praxis to be made palatable to the Gentile masses. Traditionally, you should only study Kabbalah in the context of a rigorous traditional Jewish lifestyle, observing all the mitzvot etc.)
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah. I know it's actually an offshoot of Judaism following the teaching of Issac Luria. I've seen it more properly called Luriatic Judaism and had a Jewish friend who was somewhat into it. Though the shop was full of new age books and generic 'witchcraft' stuff. It was Salem after all. Many new agey fans kinda abducted Kaballah.
Hepzibah

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I guess it's good to hear that he hasn't forgotten about it. I am still looking forward to it, if and when he finally decides to release it. As for his metaphor, I do understand that he has other things in production right now. At the same time, though, he's just been sitting on this project for three years now, and then getting newer ones out more quickly. I have to wonder what exactly he is waiting for.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Pedestrian A

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:47 am Reply with quote
Wowwwww, todayyyyy is a slowwwwwww dayyyy forrrrr ANN.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:41 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Y'know, if Cameron would stop publicly announcing that he's still putting the project off and just...surprise us with it one day, I'd be a lot less annoyed with him. The constant "oh, yeah, I'll get to that at some point soon maybe kinda eventually when I feel like it after this movie and the third one after that sort of maybe yeah" announcements after every other movie he finishes get old. If he's not working on it, I don't wanna hear that he's still not working on it, I wanna hear that he's working on it when he actually starts it and no sooner.

Well the only reason he says anything is because people keep asking him about it, so what do you expect?

Also the concept artists working on Avatar have simultaneously been working on art for Alita. A book being published featuring Avatar production stuff will also include concept art for Battle Angel Alita.

It seems that they're going with the title 'Battle Angel.'

I believe it will happen as his next project. He's gonna take some time off after Avatar and Alita will be next. The tech in Avatar was created for Alita anyway. They've got the groundwork out of the way so making Alita will be far easier.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else find that metaphor more than a little distasteful, and completely inappropriate?

Besides that, I can't wait to see what he does with Battle Angel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
reanimator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Let's just say this: pre-production always has been time consuming process.

Besides, I have a feeling that Cameron doesn't want to give up Battle Angel because some other director might take up the project.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2