• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Box Office, August 8-9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:56 am Reply with quote
I figured Summer Wars was gonna be bigger, judging by how they were hyping it. I hope that's still a good gross by Japanese box office standards, though.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:18 am Reply with quote
Seems good, an average $30,000 a screen for only 2 weeks so probably $20,000 - $22,000 week one and $7,000+ week two. Bit of a dip but still good IMO. The #1 movie, Kamen Rider Decade, averaged around $14,000 a screen. I'm not sure what qualifies as a big hit though in Japan but I think those are considered good to modest numbers in the US. I'm pretty sure the Decade CM have been calling it a big hit for the past 2 weeks or so.

And I didn't even realize they already made a 3rd Naruto Movie. Haven't watched the anime for a while now. I must marthon it one day.
Wellness

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:32 am Reply with quote
I think with a movie like Decade, the budget is a bit smaller compared to normal film budgets so this strong debut and a few weeks or so in the top ten will mean it would be a hit. It might not have the staying power of the Den-O movies but it should probably do fairly well.
Raoh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to All Riders Vs. Dai Shocker, actually.

Whoever translated it as Great Shocker is just wrong. "Dai Shocker" is the name of an organization. It also makes no sense to translate "Dai" and not "Kamen".

I guess I am just being picky, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1