• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Strange Days

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:07 am Reply with quote
Todd wrote:
Keio Flying Squadron is among the rarest and most expensive Sega CD titles.
Too funny. I still have two copies in storage. (as well as Vays, Lunar 1 and 2, Popful Mail, Dark Wizard, Shining Force CD, Rise of the Dragon, Sol Feace, Lords of Thunder, Prince of Persia and a ton of other games.) I had a feeling at the time to keep one and play the other.

To my disappointment, I have yet to finish the game. Shocked

I still can't find a reason to own a Wii. ( I see they ported Resident Evil over to the Wii format. Cool ) I'm a systems collector, so it will be mine eventually, but I just don't see anything that (beside Muramasa) that I would enjoy for more than a few minutes.

Maybe Tatsunoko VS will change all that.
Battle Cossack

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:07 am Reply with quote
Man, I'm not the only one who remembers Star Soldier, Lufia, and Keio. That game was really something:it's voice acted intro warned players of the antogonist's fiendish plot to turn all of civilization into a "racoon world". All of the Working Designs releases were really ahead of their time.
Reading Extra Lives always fills me with nostalga or intrigue. You really have a knack for finding forgotten titles that are worth mention. I'll have to check out Hector. What future Extra Lives features can we hope to read?
sfried

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:28 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
I still can't find a reason to own a Wii. ( I see they ported Resident Evil over to the Wii format. Cool ) I'm a systems collector, so it will be mine eventually, but I just don't see anything that (beside Muramasa) that I would enjoy for more than a few minutes.

What? No love for A Boy and His Blob? LostWinds? And what about Sin & Punsihment 2? Or Final Fantasy CC: The Crystal Bearers? Silent Hill Shattered Memories? I feel Wii is unfairly shunned for all of its efforts.

Speaking of which, Todd, you didn't seem to mention the box art for Ys for the TurboGraFX.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
For a game based on an anime property without any Shonen Jump connections, Innocent Aces didn't do bad in Japan, where it earned a manga spin-off in Monthly Comic Blade.

Do the Japanese have something against the idea of satire? They always seem to take it seriously.
Teclo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:05 am Reply with quote
Interesting article that actually stands out for listing games outside of the usual "teh wii is not ded!!" lists. I don't think there's one game in the main featured list that I'm not now looking forward to.

Just one correction, though.
Quote:
Nintendo also has a potential 2010 sleeper in Another Code R, sequel to the DS puzzle-adventure Trace Memory. It's sat in Japan since early this year, though, so don't get your hopes up.

Another Code: R is out in the UK now - in fact, it has been for about 4 months. Just like the two One Piece: Unlimited Cruise games (also on the Wii), it might be worth importing it since it's been out in the UK (and rest of Europe) for some time now and still has no NA release date.

Just for the record Another Code: R isn't meant to be particularly good, according to Retro Gamer there's too much bland wandering around and hardly any puzzles. They said they really wanted to like it but there's just not much to like. Famitsu gave it 28/40. Its GameRankings average from 16 reviews is 6.9/10. Still, if you loved the original game it'll probably still be enjoyable simply by the merit of being more of what you love, if a little worse than the first time round.

Last edited by Teclo on Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:02 am; edited 2 times in total
RedLeader

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:05 am Reply with quote
sfried wrote:
Shadowrun20XX wrote:

What? No love for A Boy and His Blob? LostWinds? And what about Sin & Punsihment 2? Or Final Fantasy CC: The Crystal Bearers? Silent Hill Shattered Memories? I feel Wii is unfairly shunned for all of its efforts.

I know, right? Not counting Virtual Console, I have 36 games with more I want. And almost all of them are GREAT games! I don't see HOW people can say Wii doesn't have any games or "it collects dust". Really, I can't.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:39 am Reply with quote
Yeah, assuming a few of these TBA games make it out in 2010, the Wii is set to have one of it's stronger years of releases. Admittedly though, anything looks good after a horrendous 2009 and ultimately it's still a mere shadow of what's available on the other two. (The lack of so many multi-platform games is what kills it).

Fragile definitely looks interesting though. It seems vaguely reminiscent of Ico to me. Apparently, Wii is getting the next Tales game as well. I just hope it's better than the last Wii tales game.

The only thing from Treasure I've played was Mischef Makers and it was fantastic. Definitely one of my top ten all time favorites. I'll definitely consider getting Sin & Punishment 2.

I'm certainly looking forward to Monado too. I really liked Xenosaga but I always get they should have just made it an anime (which they later did with somewhat mediocre results). The gameplay was bland though. Episode II had excellent gameplay though and a very strong story as well.

I think Metroid: Other M may be a misstep though. The original Metroid Prime (also top 10) was fantastic because of it's limited story and side characters which was key to it's great atmosphere. As the series got more story focused though it got progressively worse with each game.
Subatomic Brainfreeze

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:52 am Reply with quote
Well, it's not like Konami USA doesn't try to get its music games out there. It's that Konami USA always makes the worst imaginable decisions and bungles-- and I'm not exaggerating here-- every single US release of a music game they make. Then they scratch their heads, wonder why the game bombed this time, and continue to do things the way they were.

I've been out of the Bemani loop for a while, but it's worth noting that Konami USA very recently managed to mess up a DDR arcade release-- the manufacturer went cheap on the machine, resulting in a number of problems that have serious adverse effects on gameplay.

Harmonix cloned their game (Guitar Freaks) and kicked their asses and nobody should feel sorry for them. It's in better hands now.

In conclusion, she is my wife.
Vent

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:02 pm Reply with quote
No mention of the pointless character name changing NIS is doing for Sakura Wars?

(Admittedly anyone outside of the fanbase probably doesn't care.)
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:05 pm Reply with quote
They still haven't gotten 'Sakura Wars V' out YET??? I don't know which is worse taking forever to come out. 'Sakura Wars V' or 'Far East of Eden'. Well, 'Far East of Eden' is NEVER coming out that was dropped without even a mention. Why is it taking so long?

Ooh gawd that 'Lufia' ad was pretty bad. I love the fact that they state that it's not a 'FF' game. I always wanted to check out 'Lufia' but never gave it a shot. During the 'SNES' days 'FF' was all I cared about because it was the first RPG I ever played.

What the hell is wrong with SNK Playmore? You don't make a KOF game and not have the kunoichi queen of bounce. That's SACRILEGE!!
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:12 pm Reply with quote
2 weeks ago, Todd brought up the Guardian Legend as one of his favorite games. This week, Todd quotes Ultra Game Players.

Don't let anyone ever tell you you're not awesome, becuase you are. Very Happy

Anyway- I'm very much looking forward to Fragile- its US release is half the reason I bought a Wii (the other half being the Klonoa remake. Klonoa rocks.)

I've wanted Keio Flying Squadron for years- alas, it released when I was a broke grade schooler without a Sega CD. By the time I was a proper introverted Anime and Game Collector, the price has already skyrocketed. *sigh* Someday...
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I've never heard of this Fragile game before right now, but it definitely seems interesting. Being flat-broke, the only Wii game I own myself (besides Sports, obviously) is No More Heroes, so I'm in dire need of some new titles. I'm not really into anime-based games as a whole, but this does seem to have an almost ICO-esque premise, which can only be a good thing. If it's pulled off right, that Sky Crawlers game might be entertaining too; aerial combat never gets old.
grooven

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Actually Konami did release Beat Mania in N/A some time ago but it didn't fare well over here. Probably due to marketing or what have you. Some game show was dissing beat mania completely >.> which was really sad since it is an awesome game and hard to play.

Plus I think Konami should have sued them over taking their ideas. I think they did not bring Guitar Freaks here because the home version did not fare well in Japan.
topleka

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I've been drooling over Fragile since I first saw promo images years ago. I'm very excited for this release.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Arc Rise Fantasia's not out in Japan? I thought it came out early last summer. I even read a couple import reviews of it, not to mention the one in Famitsu (if, indeed, anyone takes Famitsu reviews seriously anymore). At any rate, I don't care how generic it is, it has a Yasunori Mitsuda soundtrack, and that's more than enough for me (the turn-based battle system looks like it could be interesting too).

The caption for the Sakura Wars screenshot was a hoot, but I'm surprised that Todd missed the screamingly obvious potential Excel Saga shout-out.

Also, I'm astonished Todd made no mention of No More Heroes 2. Definitely one of my most anticipated games of next year.

I sure HOPE Monado comes out in the West. If NoA pulls another fast one like they did for Disaster... well, I am going to be extremely unhappy.

Also, Todd, you should've included the hilariously bad Ranma 1/2 box art for reference. It looks like someone was trying to imitate Katsuhiro Otomo... and failed miserably.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3