• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: True Tears BD Box Planned with New 3-Minute Epilogue

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relentlessflame

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:00 am Reply with quote
This is of course good news. Most of the speculation/concerns seem to revolve around whether they'll be able to get the 2000 pre-orders they're seeking, despite the fact that the proposed box is actually cheaper than similar BD-Boxes for other 1-cour anime projects (at 24,990 Yen). The reason for such concern is that this is actually more than amount of people who originally bought the DVDs in Japan. There was that survey recently, though, that suggested that True Tears was one of the most-desired anime series on Blu-Ray, and it was originally supposed to come out in that format before getting suddenly cancelled. So this could be one of those cases where people held off on buying the DVDs in order to wait for the Blu-Ray discs, and I suppose this is a way of testing that theory.

Anyway, will put in my pre-order as soon as it's available, and keep my fingers crossed. Even though it's a series that isn't widely liked around here, I quite like it, and think it should look great on Blu-Ray.

Edit: Oh yeah, and regarding the epilogue content, I assume this will be based on what was already covered in the Drama CD, which had full ~20 minute segments for each of the heroines that covered what happened to each of them after the end of the anime. Regardless, it'd be nice to see a bit of that in animated form too.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:02 am Reply with quote
$276 is a lot for one cour BD or not. When will Japan learn that overpriced DVDs is a major contributor to this hurting industry?
TheTheory

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:57 am Reply with quote
Well, I guess I'll move True Tears next on my list of anime series to get through so I can decide if I'd want to spend the money on the BD release--since I was smart enough to go and purchase the DVDs already. haha.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:08 am Reply with quote
Holy crap. This anime is absolutely gorgeous, I can just imagine how it'll be in Blu-Ray *_* I pray that this format will make it stateside...but naturally it either won't or will take them like two years >.<
Cloud668

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I guess I will have to pre-order this over Kanon's BD box because of the new epilogue.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:27 pm Reply with quote
If they included the sub and I get new job I'd consider joining the 2000 since I still don't have a copy of this (I pre-ordered the first volume from BVUSA and never got around the importing the release that actually happened)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
EvilEmperor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:28 am Reply with quote
true tears definitely deserves a Blu-Ray release for its superb quality.
But I heard that the CANAAN Blu-Ray (also by P.A.Works) is just upscale of DVD version, which looks inferior comparing to those true HD production like K-ON! BD, which worries me if it will be the same for true tears.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:05 am Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
$276 is a lot for one cour BD or not. When will Japan learn that overpriced DVDs is a major contributor to this hurting industry?

I don't see much evidence for that being much of an issue. Yes, anime is very expensive in Japan. So is everything else. Even Hollywood movie releases are about twice the price of US releases, and they generally sell a lot more than anime. With three times the population and prices around 1/3 of Japan's, US anime sales are even lower. Want lower prices in Japan? Completely redo their retail system - it's filled with middlemen, and everyone gets their cut. Surely that should be simple. Rolling Eyes

Lower prices would probably mean more sales, but how many more? The market for anime in Japan is really not all that large - lower prices might well not translate to higher profits. And in retrospect, anime has never been cheaper in Japan (yes, really). Certainly prices are lower than they were in the 90s (or god forbid, the 80s) and you can actually get a discount off the retail price now, which was unheard of in the past. (Ah, the joy of buying large import anime LD boxes in the mid 90s, paying the list price, sending huge postal money orders by express mail as payment - if anyone did accept a credit card there was a fee to be paid. Things are so easy now.)

EvilEmperor wrote:
true tears definitely deserves a Blu-Ray release for its superb quality.
But I heard that the CANAAN Blu-Ray (also by P.A.Works) is just upscale of DVD version, which looks inferior comparing to those true HD production like K-ON! BD, which worries me if it will be the same for true tears.

Canaan isn't an upscale, but it's not very good either. Basically it seems to have been produced at 720i (which isn't an actual standard for broadcast or Blu-ray that I know of), then upscaled and filtered to 1080i. Less detail, interlacing artifacts, and lots of players don't deinterlace 1080i very well. Why some anime is being produced at such a weird resolution is a mystery, this has happened with several series already (Spice & Wolf S1 (not S2) & White Album). I'm glad I canceled my preorders when the show failed to go anywhere interesting, but the animation quality was very good; it at least deserves a good looking release.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Wow this sounds great. I really would love to see the epilogue.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:20 am Reply with quote
It seems kinda of pointless to buy something so expensive for just a 3 minute conclusion. If it were up to 15-20 minutes, I think that is more worthy of taxpaying money.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1