• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kurokami's U.S. BD Release to Have English Dub Only

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Count

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:45 pm Reply with quote
You know at this point I've really lost all understanding of what the hell Bandai is doing. Even though I'm a dub fan I find it effed up that the format with more capacity and capabilities (Blu-Ray) will have a sizable amount of content cut from it. And I guarantee it will still cost more than the DVD.

I see their trying to protect themselves from overseas buyers getting a cheaper US version, but just how greedy can you be?

Last edited by The Count on Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Casey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:48 pm Reply with quote
This is a massively epic fail of biblical proportions.

Go to frakking hell, Bandai. Just....go.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:49 pm Reply with quote
So I should buy both the Japanese BD and the English BD to get both language tracks? I'll pass.

Should they really experiment on Blu-Ray given the cost? Why the change of the amount of episodes as well? I never really figured BD for single releases---only for boxsets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Fears of reverse importation strikes again? The Japanese own BD release has Japanese, English, AND Korean audio tracks.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BCXA-157
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:55 pm Reply with quote
o_O Okay, um Bandai? When people were complaining about lack of dubs they were talking about wanting dubs AND subs, not either or. I guess if I'm ever going to watch this series I'll go watch it on CR. And I thought you were supposed to get more extras on Blu-Rays, not fewer...
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Fears of reverse importation strikes again? The Japanese own BD release has Japanese, English, AND Korean audio tracks.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BCXA-157

No one besides and avid collector is going to pay $98 for 3 episodes. Even more of a what were they thinking?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Oh for the love of god, Bandai, wtf are you doing? Only one language track and less episodes on the format with way more storage capacity? Thats totally logical. I thought the time for single disc releases was over. It seems like a complete waste of the format's potential to put an hour and a half worth of content on the disc. This calls for a facepalm.
UltimateSpaceLion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:00 pm Reply with quote
The mind boggles. Every so often you just have to concede that you really have absolutely no idea what the frak is going on in these places.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:03 pm Reply with quote
WTF! What in the hell is wrong with Bandai? Whoever is making the decisions at Bandai needs to be fired, and that's real... Sentai makes more since than them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Cait

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure it wasn't US Bandai that made this decision. I'm sure it was on the Japanese end and they didn't want Japanese consumers to import the US BDs to get them cheaper.
leftbehindxp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Well I can understand why they are doing this cause of reverse import, even mentions the idea at the end of the article.

Cait-"I'm sure it wasn't US Bandai that made this decision. I'm sure it was on the Japanese end and they didn't want Japanese consumers to import the US BDs to get them cheaper." <-Good point

Though I'm a dub fan I still find it weird that the BD is only English. Should have both options. I'm feeling like the BD is not going to do so well because of this. Guess the DVD perhaps?

Edit: After reading the source article, atleast they have prices down. DVD 29.99, while the BD 24.99 so that's a plus.

Last edited by leftbehindxp on Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Free trade my arse,

Now i know discs are more pricey in Japan, but this really doesn't make any sense, even before someone could just spend a bit and get a US region coded dvd player, hell they could just set one up that way in their computer, (i use two optical drives myself so i could code for 2 regions)

Maybe i'm just being a bitter Detroiter (Japan restricts the sale of non japanese autos) but sometimes it seems that other nations are more willing to put up trade barriers that we americans see as against the gospel of free trade.

-Gabe
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
I'm sure it wasn't US Bandai that made this decision. I'm sure it was on the Japanese end and they didn't want Japanese consumers to import the US BDs to get them cheaper.

(massive facepalm)

If that's the case, thanks a lot (Japan's) Bandai. The US Bandai is probably struggling to stay alive given the fact that FUNi, Viz, and even neo-ADV are bringing out way more stuff than they are lately. We don't need you guys shooting bullets at them too.

Isn't Japan kinda in denial about this? I mean, I'm sure it's easy to get a region-free DVD player in Japan, so why suddenly raise a fuss when Blu-Ray came along and it was region-free discs right off the bat? I'm sure Japanese fans who were concerned about price on their DVDs were buying region-free players and importing R1 DVDs a long time ago. SIGH.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:13 pm Reply with quote
WHY?
Dune

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Bandai Entertainment will ship the first bilingual DVD volume and the first English-dub-only Blu-ray Disc (BD) volume of the Kurokami television anime series on February 9. The first DVD will contain six episodes with both English and Japanese soundtracks, as well as English subtitles. However, the first BD will contain four episodes with the English soundtrack, but not the Japanese soundtrack.

I had to read that a few times just to make sure I got it right.

But yeah, reverse importation fears. Even though I don't have Blu-ray yet, I was initially happy that the US and Japan share the same region. But, geez-- is this how future releases are going to be handled in order to compensate? Really, now. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9