• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:42 am Reply with quote
Prede wrote:
Perhaps when I feel up to it I'll explain my dislike for all those shows.

Please do. The thread's rule about explaining one's choices is not a conditional "if I feel like it" kind of thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
p0pzi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:42 am Reply with quote
I have a really hard time sorting a top10 so don't take the order of the top10 as my definitive order.

Top 10

1. Seirei no Moribito

Beatifully Animated with lots of details put into it which got me hooked from the moment I started watching. The fight-scenes are among the best - if not THE best I have ever seen in any anime to this date and every fight-scene comes with great music to it. Nearly all characters are well-made with intresting development throughout the show. I found the story simple yet amazing with a few twist here and there and I just found this anime so great in so many ways.

2. Air(TV)

As weird as I thought the plot was when I read about this anime it somehow did not matter at all when I started watching. Nicely animated, nothing spectacular but some really beautiful scenes. An example is where Misuzu and her mother are standing next to the sea when it's sunset which was just breathtaking to me. On to the anime itself. First I just have to say that I'm not a guy who usually cries when watching Animes/Movies but wow... I just couldn't help myself when I was watching this anime, it really got to me in a way no other anime has. By far the saddest and greatest dramas I have ever seen.

3. Cowboy Bebop

This anime was just so great in so many ways. I can't think of a single character that I did not like or atleast did not keep me intrested about the character itself. The main character Spike is one of my all-time favorite characters in any anime and him alone would almost be enough for me to watch this show. The animations might not be "up to date" but personally I love the animations more than many of the newer animes with "better" animations, it just has a certain charm to it. A pretty simple story where Spike is a bounty hunter aboard a spaceship with his companions and they try to get enough money for food and supplies by catching wanted criminals. The action was great, the drama was great and the ending sent chills down my spine.

4. Kino no tabi

Wow, who would have thought that a kid driving aroung on a talking motorcycle could be so intresting. Basicly every episode is its own story (Much like Mushi-shi) where Kino visits different towns and locations, some nice and some... not so nice. This leads to alot of intresting characters and encounters throughout the show. I really like adventurous animes and this one is a prime example of it. The animations are far from the best I have seen however that doesn't bother me much, especially since the great stories and fitting music makes up for it.

5. Elfen Lied

A great original story where they have humanoid test subjects which are called Disclonius that have invisible vectors(like invisible arms) in a laboratory and one of these disclonius escapes this lab and and is later found naked standing in the sea by Kouta. This disclonius known as Nyu (Because that is all she can say) tries to live in Kouta and his cousins house while people are out to get Nyu back. What really kept me watching at first(aside from all the blood Smile) was that I really wanted to know who Nyu was and where she came from and for what reason she had been in that laboratory. It's intresting to see how Nyu manages to get by without being able to communicate with people and being very confused about the world. Well animated and great, bloody violence which in my book is a big plus.

6. Kaze no Tani no Nausicaä

This masterpiece from Hayao Miyazaki was just so amazing, the animations are outstanding even though its 25 years old and I could probably fill most of this list with Hayao Miyazakis movies but I will try to keep them at a minimum with this being my favorite. A great story in a post-apocalyptic world that I found really intruiging and it's intresting to see what they do in order to survive in this hellish world. It really makes you wonder how Miyazaki manages to come up with all these great stories.

7. Princess Mononoke

I just couldn't help myself. I just had to add Princess Mononoke to the list. It's about a guy named Ashitaka who gets cursed by a demon-god while trying to save his village. He sets out on a journey through the forest in search for a cure. In the forest he finds out that the forest gods are having a war with a village nearby and the movie starts to focus on this war. This movie has such beautiful landscape, nature and animals which you will see alot of. One of the most amazing characters is San who is a girl that was raised by wolves and she has a hatred against humans, she is almost like a wolf herself. Great story-telling, great conflict and just overall great.

8. Now and Then, Here and There(Ima, Sokoni Iru Boku)

Another post-apocalyptic story where the main-character Shu sees a strange girl named Lala-ru and after talking to her for a bit he gets dragged into a futuristic world where there's war and enslaved children working as soldiers. Shu and Lala-ru gets captured and Shu tries to escape this horrible place alongside the girl. A really dark yet touching story with alot of intresting characters. I really enjoyed both Shu and Lala-ru as characters and the hardship that they share through this adventure. One of the best adventure/dramas i have seen and some camerashots are just amazing.

9. Natsume Yujin-Cho

About a boy who has the ability to see spirits and he also has a book that his grandmother left him which contains the name of certain spirits, some kind of contract. The main character Natsume sets out on a mission to free all the spirits from the contract of the book and with him he has a cat who is after the book - which all the spirits also are. During his mission to free all the spirits he comes across alot of intresting spirits and some are really nice while others just want to kill him. Really nice animations and very very good music.

10. Gintama

I had to put a comedy anime on the list and it was between Gitama and Sekushi Commando Gaiden but in the end it came down to Gintama. It's about a samurai named Sakata Gintoki in a futuristic world where samurai are no longer needed. He lives with Shinpachi and Kagura and together they run a "Do-it-all"-buisness where they basicly do any job as long as they get payed which can be anything from finding a lost kitty to fighting bad guys. This anime is so incredibly funny and it never really loses the humor even though it's such a long anime (I have not seen all episodes but a bit less than 100). Even if the humor is the main attraction there is also some good action and some pretty good drama every now and then.

Bottom 5 (1 being the worst)

1. Yumeria

I got a tip from a friend to watch this and i have not trusted his tips since that day. It was as stupid as it was boring, it was as boring as it was dumb and it was as dumb as it was not fun. I mean the action was bad, the comedy was below decent and most of the show it was just a silly excuse to show some ecchi. And don't get me started on the "Mone, mone!" ... Ugh...

2. School Days

I know that some people find this anime decent or even good but I was just bored from start to end because there was nothing intresting going on and I just couldn't see anything that would make anyone want to see it unless you're into the Ecchi. It was dull, boring, not that good dialogue and nothing for me. I couldn't even bare to watch all the episode and I gave up after 7 or 8 episodes. Maybe the final episodes are very good or whatever but I couldn't torture myself any longer.

3. Green green

I don't know what to say other than comedy that is not funny, I think that I was close to laughing once or something. Boring boring boring... Next!

4. Gilgamesh

This drama also bored the living hell out of me and I really tried giving it a chance. I watched about 10 or so episodes before I finally said "Ok, I give up". I don't mind a slow-paced anime but this was just taking it to the next level. I didn't really care much for the animations either and I just found it really unpleasant to watch and I almost dozed of a couple of times when watching it. I might see how someone who found the story REALLY intresting could like this anime but atleast I did not.

5. Gantz

This one I found pretty good in the beginning with it's unique story that really captured my attention. But it slowly but surely went downhill with too much focus on the "big boobed girl". I admired that they weren't afraid to kill of characters but I just got so disappointed when I watched this anime. This one was more of a disappointment than a "worst ever" but I couldn't think of a 5th one that I thought were as bad as the above but if I had to pick one, it would be this one.

Some that really kinda deserved to make the top10 but didn't quite cut it

Jyu Oh Sei, When They Cry - Higurashi, Shura no toki, Rideback, Kumo no Mukou, Yakusoku no Basho, Hunter x Hunter, Gai-Rei Zero, Death Note, Sword of the stranger and Black Lagoon.

This took some time to write and I read through it once so hopefully I did not make too many mistakes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:26 pm Reply with quote
p0pzi wrote:

2. School Days

I know that some people find this anime decent or even good but I was just bored from start to end because there was nothing intresting going on and I just couldn't see anything that would make anyone want to see it unless you're into the Ecchi. It was dull, boring, not that good dialogue and nothing for me. I couldn't even bare to watch all the episode and I gave up after 7 or 8 episodes. Maybe the final episodes are very good or whatever but I couldn't torture myself any longer.

It's not so much that the final episodes are that much better, but that they take the plot in a direction that no other harem VN adaptation has. The horrible petty cruelty between the girls fighting over Makoto escalates to terrible ends. It's the train wreck appeal, so disgusting people just can't look away.
p0pzi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
p0pzi wrote:

2. School Days

It's not so much that the final episodes are that much better, but that they take the plot in a direction that no other harem VN adaptation has. The horrible petty cruelty between the girls fighting over Makoto escalates to terrible ends. It's the train wreck appeal, so disgusting people just can't look away.

Ah okay, well I'm glad that I stopped when I did because I don't really think that I would have liked it just because of the plot changing directions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:13 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't make much sense to actually put an anime you haven't finished in your top 5 worst anime.
Okay, you can't finish it, that's just fine by me. But putting an anime that you didn't even watch throughly there sounds a bit unfair.
Well, I'm not asking you to change it, but hopefully you'll realize what you're doing there.
p0pzi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:28 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
It doesn't make much sense to actually put an anime you haven't finished in your top 5 worst anime.
Okay, you can't finish it, that's just fine by me. But putting an anime that you didn't even watch throughly there sounds a bit unfair.
Well, I'm not asking you to change it, but hopefully you'll realize what you're doing there.

I haven't watched that many animes that I found really bad so filling a bottom5 was pretty hard which is why my fifth choice was Gantz which was more of a let-down than a really bad anime. If I after 10 or so episodes have no interest in an anime I'm watching I see no reason to continue watching it just to "have finished it". I understand how you might find it unfair of me to put an anime that I couldn't finish on the list but otherwise it'd would've been a "bottom 3" or something in lack of animes i found bad. Fair or not if I find an anime so bad that I can't finish it I find it bad enough to make the list. But i see your point.

Last edited by p0pzi on Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:30 pm Reply with quote
You can opt for not doing a top 5 worst anime, if that's the case.
By the time I did my top 10 I had already seen about 200 series and couldn't formulate a top 5 worst. Nowadays that would be easy though. Asura Cryin' is one.
p0pzi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I suppose that I could've waited with filling the bottom 5 but then again if I see an anime that boring I will probably not finish that one either and thus not being able to to make a list about it Smile. Anyways my bottom5 will be my bottom5 until I see something worse than those I've posted. I basicly just wanted to fill in the "top10 best/top5 worst anime" as the topic states which is why I tossed in those unfinished animes.

Of to bed now, nighty nighty!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Just a random item I noticed when looking through the new lists of favorites and least favorites. It seems the front page has not been updated, unless I am mistaken, at all for 2009. I see some entries listed for users from 08 but none at all for 2009. Unless I am completely blind of course.
p0pzi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:37 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
It seems the front page has not been updated, unless I am mistaken, at all for 2009.

Yeah you are not mistaken, the index doesn't seem to have any updates for 09 Smile .
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:37 am Reply with quote
A long overdue update to my favorites:

Monster- A fantastic mystery/thriller series that I feel is the embodiment of the perfect anime series. It was long but always compelling and interesting with a host of twists and excellent characters from beginning to end.

Planetes- An excellent hard sci-fi series combined with bit of slice of life. Had a great cast and interesting storylines. The physics were real and the vehicles and space suits believable. It also had beautiful visuals and music

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (both seasons)- This was an amazing science fiction universe that greatly expanded upon the concept brought forth in the films. It developed and fleshed out the characters much more and extremely well. It has lots of interesting crime solving and cybernetic butt-kicking action with plenty of philosophy, psychology, and literature nods.

Haibane Renmei- An impressive and truly moving drama with excellent characters in a unique and cool setting. It was basically a character piece that is both heart-warming and wrenching at times. I've yet to see anything like it.

Rumbling Hearts- An epic romantic drama that I felt really draws you in and gets you hooked. I liked the characters quite a bit and it was mature had depth. This series made me go through the whole range of emotions.

When They Cry/Higurashi no Naka Koroni Kai- One of my favorites as combines compelling stories with graphic violence, weaving some great mysteries and then providing the answers later on. It had me so hooked.

Kurenai- Tells the tale of a spoiled rich child who's run away from her family and now must adapt to being ordinary and poor. Meanwhile, her bodyguard has to deal with precocious nature. It's really made by all the excellent characters and has plenty of humor and is accentuated by sparse but very well done martial-arts action scenes.

REC.- An extremely amusing and cute, unorthodox romantic comedy. Featuring a whirlwind romance where two lovers and secret roommates having romantic trouble are thrown together by circumstance ard forced to work side by side. It is definitely a must see for any fan of romance or comedy.

Infinite Ryvius- This is an excellent and epic science fiction/adventure series. It has a large cast of excellent characters grow and develop over the course of the series very well. The storyline is one wild and exciting ride filled with lots of great action and drama.

Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad- To date I still haven't seen a series like this. It revolves and a guy who discovers music and a talent he never know he had. It follows him as he makes friends and joins a band which rises to stardom. The music is fantastic and I loved the characters and story.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Nice list, Kruszer. I was familiar with all the titles except REC and Kure-nai. REC was already on my "want to see" list, but I had forgotten about it and I added Kure-nai. I'm always up for a good romance comedy.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I always find it amusing when people stack kiddie merchandise shows against shows with an obviously older skewing, ambitious purpose.

It's like if a TV critic put a list of the best and worst shows of all time and put Sopranos at BEST and Smurfs at WORST. Doesn't quite make sense.

Quote:
8. Shakugan No Shana
Alot of people rag on it for being a generic shonen romance, but I really like it because I feel it executes those elements that make it generic better than any other show of it's type.

I almost want to put it at #1 on my list of "best" for the sole purpose of stemming the hating this show gets.

Seriously, while Shana isn't anywhere near MY top 10, but bottom 5? OF THIS DECADE? OF ALL TIME? REALLY? I question just how much anime you have watched if this makes your "DECADE WORST" or "ALL TIME WORST" lists. You must have watched some really, really awesome anime where 9/10 of your choices are MASTERPIECES because I don't see any circumstance where this would fall into the bottom five on any level. There are plenty of generic anime out there, but there are very few that do it REALLY BADLY. Shana is generic, but it isn't one of the REALLY BAD ones.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:57 pm Reply with quote
You'd just be escalating the situation, bravetailor. A lot of people overly dislike Shana because when it started airing it had a lot of fanboys talking about how great it was. The whole moe/tsundere fan crowd was gushing over the show like it was the Second Coming. I find it generic and bland, trying to be too many genres at once and failing at least one of them (romance in the second season).
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:57 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
Seriously, while Shana isn't anywhere near MY top 10, but bottom 5? OF THIS DECADE?

Well, in this case bottom 5 is better off than top 5, since according to his numeration #1 would be the worst; #2 would be the second worst. And in this situation, Shana would fall 7 houses bellow the first.
But I'd say that if you're having trouble in making a list of the worst anime you've seen, then it's simply better not to make one. Also, since it was based on a thread of best/worst of the decade, I believe one should at least comprehend the difference between your opinion/taste and the series' quality/value.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 89 of 122