• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Viewers Like You

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryusaki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Uh.. anyone else getting last week's ep?
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:05 pm Reply with quote
ryusaki wrote:

Yup, I was just about to comment and say that.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:08 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
ryusaki wrote:

Yup, I was just about to comment and say that.

Fixed! Sorry, forgot a number.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to have Blood- on a constant loop just saying "out." Laughing
ryusaki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:59 pm Reply with quote
For One Piece, yeah it could definitely be a it's art style but ultimately? It's 4Kids' that Tarnished One Piece for the long run.

Soul Eater? I can see a certain aspect of "genericism" that Zac gets from it, but heck, I've only read the first volume of the manga and am waiting for blu-ray release of the anime but to me, Soul Eater literally embodies GOOD Shonen done extremely well.
Fun characters, great action, great character interaction, and heck the fan service is a nice plus without being overbearing.
Pants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:05 pm Reply with quote
So is Corey from Wisconsin 8 year old or just high on helium?
dawgstar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:08 pm Reply with quote
One Piece is a weird one. It's one of those shows where I think if more people gave it a chance, they'd dig it, but the trick is how do they give it a chance? People who just glance at it see everybody being all goofy and there's a Tex Avery flavor to it which other anime doesn't have. At first blush, a guy who fights with a sword in his mouth sounds kind of dumb.

And that 4Kids thing didn't help. Kept me off the show for a while.

Exposure, like with everything else, seems to be the key. I'm just not sure how to get it out there.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:17 pm Reply with quote
How much of Soul Eater did they watch? Because it starts off with that generic premise of "eating souls" or whatever, but the thrust of the series becomes much more than that. I was a huge fan of this show when it was on the fansub circuit (before the FUNI cease-and-desist), so I've been excited to acquire it to actually finish it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
NSFW Language Warning: Some swearing. Consult your doctor before use.

Heh. I just noticed that. Clever.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:30 pm Reply with quote
ryusaki wrote:
For One Piece, yeah it could definitely be a it's art style but ultimately? It's 4Kids' that Tarnished One Piece for the long run.

Soul Eater? I can see a certain aspect of "genericism" that Zac gets from it, but heck, I've only read the first volume of the manga and am waiting for blu-ray release of the anime but to me, Soul Eater literally embodies GOOD Shonen done extremely well.
Fun characters, great action, great character interaction, and heck the fan service is a nice plus without being overbearing.

If you look at popularity One Piece is definitly one of the most popular series online. It's sales are not as great as other shonen series because it's popularity is mainly in the people who read just Bleach, and Naruto and don't own a single volume of manga. This is why Negima and Fullmetal Alchemist have a fraction of the audience but sell a lot better.

I also agree with you on Soul Eater, sure that you have seen something like this, but like the recent One Piece it's managed to go beyond that and come up with a solid series.

Pants wrote:
So is Corey from Wisconsin 8 year old or just high on helium?

I thought he was 14 until he said "workplace"
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to say that you actually can browse fairly well on CR if you go to their library page and hover over whatever sounds interesting (which brings up a small box with a picture and synopsis).
As for continuing watching mediocre shows, I'm one of those people who has to see the entire show/movie/book series to feel satisfied. Even if I know it's crap, eh, it doesn't feel quite right to complain about it. I also don't have much else to do about it so I think I'm in the minority here.
Hmm, more good words for Bakemonogatari, think I'd better just try that show and see what it's all about.

Also, while I can't speak for myself since I'm still pretty new to cons and still under 20, I've gotten the impression that some of the con-goers are there either for the Artists Alley primarily or for the social cosplaying. Not sure how big those groups are, but they seem (for the most part, can't remember any scenes in any AA I've been walking through) to keep the drama down. So maybe there is even an art element that keeps people coming back.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm still listening to this now, but I have to ask - did anybody else start laughing hilariously when the 4Kids One Piece opening began playing? Laughing
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Ha ha, huge egomaniac that I am, I immediately zoomed to my segment, so I have not yet checked out the rest. My hope is that Zac and Justin will do this kind of thing again and I encourage you other ANN posters to take advantage of it. It's strange how my time sense got screwed up...in my memory it seems like we only chatted for about five minutes, yet it was actually about 15.

For the next ANNFancast, it might be interesting to have a panel of posters discussing the new Spring shows (after, say, about 4 episodes of each show have appeared). As I mentioned before we went on air, I'm not hugely familiar with Skype's capabilities but if you could conference in four or five callers, I think it would be great to hear people debate/discuss the new season.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:55 pm Reply with quote
best musical segues ever.

man i miss some of my old nes games.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:02 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
I'd like to have Blood- on a constant loop just saying "out." Laughing

LOL yes. Laughing He has a pretty cool voice! It's so much fun to hear forum regulars for real. He really does spice up the forums around here and it was neat hearing the perspective of a new fan that isn't the typical 14-year old Bleach obsessive. (Though hopefully he still doesn't hate me over that Rahxephon thing...or the Ikki Tousen thing...or...no, I think that's it! Phew. We've gotten into a few tiffs that I know I must have started, but totally didn't mean to. Anime dazed)

ryusaki wrote:

I mostly agree with you, but keep in mind that you're basically saying "I thought that was some GREAT tabouli" to someone who just plain doesn't like tabouli. Even if you're right, it's something they have no taste for, and I can't blame them, it's a show for a completely separate demographic. You wouldn't plop a 12-year old down in front of Legend of the Galactic Heroes, would you? (I started listening to last week's episode by accident too, tee hee.) Zac DOES like One Piece but...that's weird for shonen. (It's weird for anything.) Soul Eater is almost made off a checklist it's so conventional. The only reason it's worth watching is that it's done impeccably well and with so much passion and energy. Kind of like Drag Me to Hell is a paint-by-numbers horror flick, but how can you criticize if the colors are flourished in perfectly?

Like most things that gain popularity stateside (sadly,) Soul Eater is aimed at preteens...maybe younger teenagers, but that's a stretch. I'm a decade younger than Zac and I'M way too old for it...felt it pretty hard when watching the series myself. (Episode four was unbearably stupid...) So the fact that I was sucked in and continuously impressed by how much love the creators have poured into it and ended up jumping up and down giggling at jokes aimed at middle schoolers is a really good sign, I'd say.

The one thing I will disagree with the ANNcast boys about is the show's popularity, though. Funimation is right to push it and hope numbers will skyrocket, but I don't think it's a show with no hype. I saw dozens of cosplayers for it for two years straight and only watched the show in fansubs because everyone was throwing it in my face. It's not really my thing, (I still hate Naruto and Bleach both...) but I ended up getting sucked in by the sheer audacious energy of the darned thing and absolutely had to admit that it IS awesome tabouli, but you have to have a taste for that stuff to begin with, ne? (At any rate, I don't like tabouli. Bleugh. Slimy slimy salad...)

...For the sad girls in the snow moe series, (I just call em moe dramas to save myself the trouble,) I'd have to say Clannad is your best bet, guys. It's still...made to be wank-bait, sure...but I think it's the most well-written of the Key shows I've seen. I could actually take a fair amount of it seriously and -le gasp- there's HUMOR in it that isn't based off of the animal noises some fetish idol makes. Can't promise you'd find it funny, but at least there's highs and lows. The law of diminishing returns is well respected in the series instead of spending its runtime trying to whore out your tearducts.

...Also, your super fun surprises made me want to spoon my brain out and eat it via Hannibal torture...I mean, come on, playing it...what, SEVEN TIMES?! That ain't funny no more! Bad rap song! Bad! No biscuit! Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7