• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gackt Stars in Shiki, Noitamina Anime Details Confirmed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scamp

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:33 am Reply with quote
Some very interesting stuff in here. First off, finally we get another Noitamina show that runs for longer than 11 episodes. Really looking forward to Shiki now, although it makes me wish that Eden was allowed to have it's full tv airing run rather than the double movie ending.

Also, Brains Base doing Kuragehime is good stuff. They've been the most consistent new studio (lets forget about Akikan) so I'm glad they've got a Noitamina timeslot.

Ah, I love Noitamina~
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:23 am Reply with quote
Brains Base did Akikan? Hahahah, they totally gave it the shaft cause they knew it was crap.

That said, I was interested in Shiki since it's by the same author as Twelve Kingdoms. Gackt starring in it actually detracts me a bit (Gackt fangirls are scary), but I'll certainly be watching it.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:52 am Reply with quote
Boy, I hope that's not a starring role for Gackt, since I've been told his acting skills are... sub-par. Maybe he's improved over the years? Just saying, a beautiful singing voice (and his is gorgeous) does not always equal an acting talent.

Meanwhile, though, Shiki gets 22 episodes when neither of the Nodame sequels did? No fair! Although I suppose the plan to expand the time slot plays into that. I'm glad to see Noitamina be so successful, there's been a lot of great anime produced for that time.

And Takahiro Omori's (Hell Girl, Baccano!, Natsume Yuujinchou, Durarara!!) next project is going to be from a josei manga. That'll be interesting to see. I wish more of these projects had actual descriptions so I could know what they're about. Guess I'm going to have to scope out the Japanese webpages later.
LKK

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:25 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Boy, I hope that's not a starring role for Gackt

I was wondering that too. Is his role the lead character? Nothing against Gackt per se, but I'm always leary of someone with little to no prior experience in the lead role on general principle.
John Casey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:27 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Boy, I hope that's not a starring role for Gackt, since I've been told his acting skills are... sub-par. Maybe he's improved over the years? Just saying, a beautiful singing voice (and his is gorgeous) does not always equal an acting talent.

Having played the original Japanese version of Crisis Core, I can pretty well guarantee you that Gackt is a fairly decent voice actor - not the best, but capable.

Granted, he seems to be more suited towards the villain voice, but who knows.

EDIT, See for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg2_xqBrhhw
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:44 pm Reply with quote
eh he was ok as Yu-ki Jouji (aka Riderman) in the Kamen Rider Decade Movie All Rider Vs. Dai-Shocker.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:39 am Reply with quote
Lots to like here - I've never seen a Noitamina-block show that I disliked, making it one of the best recommendations a series can get, at least as far as drumming up my initial interest goes. Some have been better than others, but on the whole, really a quality run of shows. And now they're expanding it to include two shows per season? Excellence.

Oddly enough, reading the (albeit brief) description on the profile for the "Shiki" series, it really doesn't sound like something I'd be interested in, nor anything that would run in the Noitamina block. It'll be hard for me to be interested in it unless I learn of some interesting premise besides what's laid out there.

Also, I totally agree with Scamp about Eden of the East. As much as I really liked the show, I was incredibly dismayed that the 13 episodes we got was all there was. It literally felt like I had watched half a series. The end there was a great mid-series climax, but there was just too much left unexplained; far more than they would be able to satisfyingly tie up in one movie, or even two. The show needed to be 26 episodes; if it was, it would have easily been a home-run of a series. I'm not even sure what I'd call it now, beyond maybe "missed potential."
tebalith

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Boy, I hope that's not a starring role for Gackt,

Doesn't look like it. Not one of the main characters, and Shiki has the habit of naming basically every character who shows up, regardless of whether they'll even survive the next three pages... it's part of the narration style, along with frequent switches between protagonists.

Amazingly, I have read maybe four or five volumes of the manga and still had to look this character name up because I keep forgetting every name of every character.
I was disappointed by the manga, I had been hoping it'd be subtly creepy and exciting, but it was just boring instead. Maybe it works better in anime format.
cauliflower346

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:11 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

No, it doesn't seem like he has a main role in this. He is certainly not experienced, but, he's also not totally inexperienced.

As far as his acting goes (which is ENTIRELY different from voice acting) he's got
Moon Child (it was okay),
Fuurin Kazan (I thought he did excellent here, it was impressive enough to get Guy Mushe's attention. He grabbed Gackt to play a part in Bunraku, co-staring with Josh Harnet),
Mr. Brain (I considered his appearance very, very impressive.)
And, as you said, The Kamen Rider movie.... I don't think he did a bad job in it, but i didn't enjoy it all that much.
He's also going to be in a play this year, called "Nemuri Kyoshiro", as Nemuri.

As for voice acting, he's done a bit in FF (Crisis Core), Author and the Invisibles (Japanese dubb, he did Maltazard.), and his latest album, RE:BORN, had a drama CD with it called Zero's Mail.

All of those I thought he did spectacularly with, I have absolutely no doubt that he's a capable voice actor. While he may not have a very long list of acting/ voice acting jobs, I doubt he's about to ruin the anime. ^^
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1