• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Eureka Seven GN Collection 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaking09

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... pretty good review...

So it captures the essence of the plot tightly, and, in exchange, hinders the pacing, and makes it even harder to understand right?

Sounds about right. While Eureka Seven is one of my ALL-time favorite anime series, as well as being #3 in my Top 10, I have to admit that it was extremely hard to understand all of it's mythos and lingo early on.
What made me stick with the series, was how Renton could eventually pilot the Nirvash believably, how Renton and Eureka's relationship would develop (and it turned out to be one of my favorite romance animes ultimately), and where the series would go.

While it's nice that this adaption did better than others of it's kind, one can't help but love it's original source the best.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
No sooner are we out of the woods with the Generic Shounen Beginning (all 14-year-old boys instinctively know how to pilot giant robots; just accept it) than the plot starts to thicken at a ridiculous rate.

While I agree that the manga plot thickens overly-quickly, at least this series actually tried to explain how Renton knew how to pilot the Nirvash. He's a mechanic; he grew up around LFOs his whole life. He has been in the cockpit before (albeit just to move them in and out of the garage). And on top of all of that, the Nirvash in particular responds to him due to it having a combination of Renton's personal compac drive, the amita drive, and spoiler[sentient memories of his father].

The thing that I loved about the manga series though was that Renton and Axel designed the Nirvash spec. 2 together. I thought that was a fantastic addition.
eldante87

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
While I agree that the manga plot thickens overly-quickly, at least this series actually tried to explain how Renton knew how to pilot the Nirvash. He's a mechanic; he grew up around LFOs his whole life. He has been in the cockpit before (albeit just to move them in and out of the garage). And on top of all of that, the Nirvash in particular responds to him due to it having a combination of Renton's personal compac drive, the amita drive, and spoiler[sentient memories of his father]

i totally agree with you, this is something missed most of the time that kinda ticks me off when some people review eureka seven. renton DOES have experience driving LFOs and on top of that, it is not him driving when nirvash reacts to the amita drive. so that part was very well played. nevertheless your review was quite good. i really hope this anime keeps on growing because it has been a very nice ride with likeable characters and great messages.
i will look forward to more reviews from you Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1