• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! Back In Inaction

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenthehen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Hah ... hahahaha. Oh god. That cat video has made me lol for the last 10 minutes. Thanks for that.
loka

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:01 am Reply with quote
lol at "Air Gear is VERY popular."
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:07 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
Hah ... hahahaha. Oh god. That cat video has made me lol for the last 10 minutes. Thanks for that.

I agree with you, that cat video was quite funny. At one point, it seemed like the cat was singing.

But seriously, I really wonder if these "flakes" are actually realize that Anime News Network only controls this site and doesn't license, create or even sell anime at all. Seems pretty obvious though.

Niche titles these days aren't nearly as exciting as they were a decade or more ago. I remember the first time playing Harvest Moon and Monster Rancher. Granted, Harvest Moon is slightly diffrent and actually more exciting, but Monster Rancher was fun back in late 90's.

Times sure have changed since the 90's though, more so in video games and anime these days.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:21 am Reply with quote
Haha, any N. American-directed "OEL" anime will just be derided and pushed aside by anime fans for not being anime! Laughing

Seriously though, I know where some animators hang out too; I've known a few who tried. There just isn't a critical mass[1] yet for an "OEL anime" to be worth the while.

[1]Critical mass - either there isn't enough mass, or there's enough mass but too widely diluted by separation. (Doesn't mean it'll never happen. Remember when anime in America didn't yet have critical mass too?)

Addendum:

Anyways, a couple of N. Americans who did get to work in the anime industry in Japan: Jan Scott-Frazier and Justin Leach.
jjwitdaheydiddydiddy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:17 am Reply with quote
Bleach. Live-action. Movie. Made in America, of all places. Now, I shouldn't jump to rash conclusions... I should give the idea a chance, right? But, uh... no.

When I think of the near future--live-action versions of Yogi Bear, The Thundercats, The Smurfs, Marvin the Martian (all real, people! In the making!), and I think back to the dreadful live-action versions of Dr. Seuss classics (soon to be joined by a live-action The Lorax, if you can believe it). I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

But the original Ninja Turtles movies were alright? Right? And so was the Super Mario Brothers movie... with John Leguizamo... And let's not forget the live-action version of The Tick! which totally didn't suck or anything. There's also the two Street Fighter incarnations: the first with Jean-Claude Van Damme in 1994, the second with who-knows, in 2009. Dragonball Evolution? That was good, huh? What about Josie and the Pussycats? Or the wonderful adaptation of Mr. Magoo, starring Leslie Nielsen? Underdog, I felt, was spectacular--among the greats! And Inspector Gadget is one of my favourite cartoon adaptations. There's also The Flintstones, starring John Goodman, and the two Garfield movies, and those wonderful Scooby Doo films! And I think I'm forgetting... something... oh yeah! G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra.

At least if it stayed in Japan, it might have a chance. I think we have the right to be afraid.
LunarBluestone

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:54 am Reply with quote
Funny only "The Teen Titans" were offered up as an example of a North American Anime-styled cartoon. There are a bunch others: "Avatar: The Last Air Bender", "The Powerpuff Girls", and "Samurai Jack". To an extent, the "Star Wars: Clone Wars" 2D animated shorts (not the current series) uses the same style, too.

It would be great if young animators got together to make their own anime, but it takes time, money and a little luck. The reason Powerpuff Girls were made in the first place was for a contest Cartoon Network ran for young, up-and-coming animators already in the biz for a new cartoon to run on the network. The creator, Craig McCracken, submitted what is essentially a spoof of a magical-girl series, but with shoen overtones. It didn't win, but was picked up later.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Because for one thing, the TV show/book/cartoon/whatever they're adapting is probably far, far from sacrosanct in the first place, and that especially goes for Bleach.

Yes, but good adaptations tend to at least be faithful to the main ideas which make the source material work.

Quote:
and "LET'S RUIN THIS NERD THING TO MAKE NERDS REALLY MAD" is never one of them.

Given Fox's attitude towards DB fans, I think there's an exception I can make.

Quote:
So, the Akira movie? I'm game for that.

Um, why? It works because of its Japanese sensibilities. It'll fail if it's just a generic sci-fi "epic" cashing in on the property's name.

Quote:
The Cowboy Bebop movie? Sure.

I'd trust Bebop more, if Predators didn't look like Doom 2.0. FOX needs to make cool and fun things again. I did like Wolverine, but it really is due to Jackman. [Speaking of which, why the hell doesn't he play Spike?] If they ever decide to do that young X-Men movie, you just know they'll cast some scrub for the part.

Quote:
The Ghost in the Shell movie? F*** yeah.

I believe a good GITS movie could happen. But it looks like we're getting another Aeon Flux.

Quote:
But... Bleach? Produced by Peter Segal, director of "50 First Dates"? Dear God. I think my gray matter started to leak.

Have you seen Get Smart, though? Great action-comedy with none of that pretentious bullet-time shakey camera crap. And he actually managed to sell a property for Boomers to a younger crowd via Anne Hathaway. So I could actually believe that he "gets" Bleach, or at least its audience. [Hell, if he was younger, I'd think The Rock would be a perfect Chad. But the only thing that really sucks is he'll probably be played by Taylor Lautner.] You really want a mis-match, though, try Shamalamadingdong and Airbender. That thing looks like Percy with Asian people cast as the bad guys.
mulrich

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:20 am Reply with quote
The cat video... I [expletive] lol'd.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:59 am Reply with quote
I was so glad to read Brian's opinions on hollywood adaptations. I'm so sick and tired of the "man it's going to suck even though I haven't seen a single production still yet" attitude that alays seems to come up when remakes or live action versions of something get announced. Even worse is the people who get angry over this stuff, as if the producers are going back in time and retroactively altering the source material. Jesus, calm down people.

As for specific projects, I will grant you that Bleach doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would translate to live action very well. I'm all over the Akira and Ghost in the Shell movies, though, and the Evaneglion movie if it ever gets beyond production hell.

And Cowboy Bebop.... well, if there was ever an anime that was intended for an American remake this is it. Just not with bloody Keanu Reeves as Spike. Seriously, that is the worst casting decision I've ever heard.

Quote:
You really want a mis-match, though, try Shamalamadingdong and Airbender.

Having seen the trailer I am cautiously optimistic about this. It certainy looks fantastic, I'm just worried they might have stripped too much of the humour from it.

(Yes we know it's not anime shut up)

Last edited by Penguin_Factory on Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:04 am; edited 2 times in total
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:01 am Reply with quote
jjwitdaheydiddydiddy wrote:
Bleach. Live-action. Movie. Made in America, of all places. Now, I shouldn't jump to rash conclusions... I should give the idea a chance, right? But, uh... no.

When I think of the near future--live-action versions of Yogi Bear, The Thundercats, The Smurfs, Marvin the Martian (all real, people! In the making!), and I think back to the dreadful live-action versions of Dr. Seuss classics (soon to be joined by a live-action The Lorax, if you can believe it). I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

But the original Ninja Turtles movies were alright? Right? And so was the Super Mario Brothers movie... with John Leguizamo... And let's not forget the live-action version of The Tick! which totally didn't suck or anything. There's also the two Street Fighter incarnations: the first with Jean-Claude Van Damme in 1994, the second with who-knows, in 2009. Dragonball Evolution? That was good, huh? What about Josie and the Pussycats? Or the wonderful adaptation of Mr. Magoo, starring Leslie Nielsen? Underdog, I felt, was spectacular--among the greats! And Inspector Gadget is one of my favourite cartoon adaptations. There's also The Flintstones, starring John Goodman, and the two Garfield movies, and those wonderful Scooby Doo films! And I think I'm forgetting... something... oh yeah! G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra.

Go watch the original version of...nearly anything you just listed. 95% of it sucked in it's original form too at least as a story and 100% had zero ability to translate to live action. Of course, you've conveniently chosen to list only animation. No comics (i.e. the think they seem to be talking about adapting here). If you did list comics you might stumble across such things as Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Spiderman 1 and 2, X-Men 1 and 2, Iron Man, Hellboy, 300, Sin City, Road to Perdition, V for Vendetta, Watchmen, Kick-Ass, Ghost World, A History of Violence, American Splendor, From Hell, The Mask, Mystery Men. That's more than 20 movies right there that were at least moderately well received if not downright excellent.

Now look, I actually agree that a Bleach adaptation is in all likelihood going to be an awful train wreck. But it's exactly like Brian said. This silly, 'Hollywood ruins everything' knee jerk response is just ridiculous. If they actually adapt something A) decent B) vaguely workable as live action, then it has a relatively decent chance of being good. History actually supports this conclusion.
kippy666

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:43 am Reply with quote
No offence but the last thing I want to watch is American anime.
Scamp

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:10 am Reply with quote
kippy666 wrote:

You mean Heroman? Laughing
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:35 am Reply with quote
Wow, Are anime and manga fans finally starting to realize that instead of "I want to go to Japan and have Gainax make my own anime!", that they should just focus on making their own comics or even animation here in America. Could they finally be getting it? Idea
kippy666 wrote:
Whelp. I guess not. Gee. What the hell is wrong with.. well.. American animation period. Sure the industry's been dying, but if fans are only "I want to go to Japans and make animus and mangos" then we're never going to have a decent domestic industry again. So, when I see good American animation like anything from Venture Bros to Iron Giant, I don't start bitching that it isn't anime. Heaven forbid you or someone else produces something decent in your own country and you support it even if it's not from Japan. Turning your nose up at something from America is just as bad as the snobs that turn their nose up at comics and animation that isn't made in America.
funny99man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:01 am Reply with quote
Is it just me or would Gundam make a pretty good live action movie. I'll put the sell pitch down right now. It's the action of Transformers but plot of the Dark Knight. You base it in the Universal Centuries One Week War and I think it would work. Of course it would take billions of dollars, rip out all the stupid New Type/environmental message stuff (Zeta) and it could work. It's a better idea then Bleach at least.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:02 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
kippy666 wrote:
Whelp. I guess not. Gee. What the hell is wrong with.. well.. American animation period. Sure the industry's been dying, but if fans are only "I want to go to Japans and make animus and mangos" then we're never going to have a decent domestic industry again. So, when I see good American animation like anything from Venture Bros to Iron Giant, I don't start bitching that it isn't anime. Heaven forbid you or someone else produces something decent in your own country and you support it even if it's not from Japan. Turning your nose up at something from America is just as bad as the snobs that turn their nose up at comics and animation that isn't made in America.

I think Kippy was referring more to the knock-offs that try to be so "anime" and so "Japanese" by mimicking some stylistic tendencies and regurgitating a common theme/plot. Or Kappa Mikey.

However, I do agree that people shouldn't rant and rave about American animation being inferior and whatnot. Seriously, Avatar isn't an anime, but it has a deeper plot than a huge percent of animation period. We have companies here dedicated to releasing animated films with precise detail and storytelling. I have no problem with American animation having some attributes found in anime, just as long as the creators don't try to pass it off as something else. I honestly don't get why people are so obsessed with creating "American manga" or "American anime" (or moving to Japan to produce anime); yes, Japan releases some cool stuff, but why can't you take pride in helping the American industry and expanding on American animation? Why must it be Japanese? Also...America does have some really awesome kid shows. I'm not sure how to describe the situation, really, but it seems like Japan never produces stuff like Spongebob, Rugrats, or Rocko's Modern Life. All three have very distinct styles and somewhat strange premises. Does anyone get what I mean? I just never see this type of thing coming out of Japan...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4