• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-04-16]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naouak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:12 am Reply with quote
I think the anime the person seek in the flake of the week is Gunbuster.
JordanAS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:43 am Reply with quote
My guess is Strain.
4nBlue

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:42 am Reply with quote
Maeve wrote:
But then again, my guide did say that Akihabara was only where the "old men and anime maniacs" go.

I spent around 30 hours in Akihabara during my trip to Japan last year and I don't remember seeing many old men, but there were surprisingly large number of girls in the otaku stores. My favorite memories were one girl buying a futanari manga and her friend being surprised about her tastes and another girl recommending eroge for what looked like her boyfriend. There were also groups of girls in school uniforms who always headed straight for the yaoi floor.

Edit: I find it funny that most guide books mention Akihabara only as a place to get cheap tech stuff and if the anime/manga/etc part of the district is mentioned it always sounds like the kind of place where the anime-crazy kids can be left to play while parents go buy a new camera.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:

That's exactly what I thought too.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:57 am Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
Quote:

It's cool

(thus the birth of a meme)
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:14 am Reply with quote
4nBlue wrote:
Maeve wrote:
But then again, my guide did say that Akihabara was only where the "old men and anime maniacs" go.

I spent around 30 hours in Akihabara during my trip to Japan last year and I don't remember seeing many old men, but there were surprisingly large number of girls in the otaku stores.

I suspect the reference is to "old men" refers to anyone over 40, and it's possible that they only really go there at night after work.
kel aka gandy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:19 am Reply with quote
"Official manga releases by major publishing labels like Del Rey have tons of Quality Assurance checks that need to be done before anything is finalized; all the editors and translators need to pour over every frame to make sure it all looks nice"

And this of course is the reason that their (Del Rey's) latest releases have been rife with grammatical errors and typos, not to mention translation errors. Try reading Shugo Chara! volume 8, it's not a particularly pleasant experience due to grammatical errors and extremely weird word choices.
Ryogalost

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:27 am Reply with quote
As to the Flake of the week.

I was gonna guess Gunbuster as well, or Voices from a Distant Star.
BenBrown

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:48 am Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, the clumsy girl with the famous dad who then fights inspace and has to deal with extreme time dilation make it sound exactly like gunbuster. How Brian could have missed that makes me confused though.

It dovetails nicely with the blu ray question. Leaving aside the issue of if people like the movies vs the OVAs the movie release for the Gunbuster/Diebuster set are extremely amazing on blu ray.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And finally, as a guy living in Arizona, you'll get no pity from me if you can't handle 95-degree heat,

Sure, but summertime Japan also has 85% humidity. My one trip to Japan was in August (because that was when the World Science Fiction Convention was held in Yokohama) and I was dripping with sweat. I foolishly was carrying my passport around in my pocket, and it got kind of soggy.

On the plus side, this probably contributes to the extremely short skirts some of the Japanese girls and women wear.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
...you can guarantee that anything put out by Bandai Visual will look utterly damn amazing (Wings of Honneamise, Akira) and will make your HDTV shudder with paroxysms of videographical delight

Yeah no kidding. BV's blu-rays are always of the highest quality,even in terms of simple packaging, but the prices are WAY too high. I wish Funimation would put the same amount of effort into their blu-rays: I wouldn't mind paying a little more for them.
FeralKat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:40 am Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
Quote:
And finally, as a guy living in Arizona, you'll get no pity from me if you can't handle 95-degree heat,

Sure, but summertime Japan also has 85% humidity. My one trip to Japan was in August (because that was when the World Science Fiction Convention was held in Yokohama) and I was dripping with sweat. I foolishly was carrying my passport around in my pocket, and it got kind of soggy.

On the plus side, this probably contributes to the extremely short skirts some of the Japanese girls and women wear.

This is pretty much how I feel about the weather in Japan. =/ For a curly-haired gal like me, it's even worse. D:

I spent a 5 weeks there when I was 19. It was fun and I'd do it again! I didn't travel there expecting it to be some kind of Disneyland for anime & manga though. Mandarake was the best...except you had to travel up through the hentai floor to get to the shojo/yaoi level! Anime hyper
vanillahellsing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:00 pm Reply with quote
BenBrown wrote:
here-and-faraway wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, the clumsy girl with the famous dad who then fights inspace and has to deal with extreme time dilation make it sound exactly like gunbuster. How Brian could have missed that makes me confused though.

Boy am I glad I decided to view the comments before e-mailing him. I hope that guy hasn't been chased away forever, he needs to experience GAINAX all over again! Please let him know, Brian?
jcaliff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Boy, finally a Hey, Answerfans question that I was qualified to answer, and it happens the week I don't read the column. Oh well. Smile

I lived in Kochi Prefecture, Japan for three years from 2000-2003. My experience living there was this. Adults do often read manga, but they don't generally watch anime (at least they don't let anyone know if they do) and they don't discuss manga with other adults.
If it's Gundam, Matsumoto, or Tezuka, adults will talk about it nostalgically. If it's Miyazaki, anyone and everyone will go see it in the theaters. If it's Sazae-san or Kochi Kame (when it was weekly) most everyone watches it, but it's not somethig to discuss.

If it's Shounen Jump, Shounen Magazine, Shounen Sunday, Asuka, Lala, or Hana to Yume, junior high kids will be interested in it. If it's Jump, Sunday, Korokoro, Ribbon or Nakayoshi, elementary school kids will be interested in it. If it's Doraemon or Anpanman, all kids, regardless of age, will doodle the characters in their notebooks and on the blackboard.

If it's any other anime more obscure than these, you're a weirdo/otaku (in the bad sense) if you mention it outside fandom-related venues.

Early on, when I decided to go to a local doujinshi event in Kochi City, I made the mistake of mentioning it to one of the Japanese teachers that I worked with. She looked extremely worried, and asked me very seriously, "are you going to wear a costume?" I said, "no, of course not". She said, "Good. Remember, this is a very small town."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yamagata002

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:54 pm Reply with quote
For the Flake of the Week, I have to say Gunbuster (Top o Nerae! Gunbuster). The ditz part excludes Strain. I think Brian knew what it was but wants people to play the guessing game with this for fun.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5