• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Sentai Filmworks Launches New Site

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:13 pm Reply with quote
It's a fairly basic website, but it's user friendly and easy to navigate. The colors and fonts use also mirror The Anime Network's site. Not to shabby!

I can't wait to see what features they add in the future!
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Very basic site, but not as boring as Media Blasters website, but not nearly as exciting as the Funimation web site.

I just really wished Gintama was dubbed or at the very least have the first season dubbed and see how sales are. Although the manga is slightly better, the show still is a masterpiece.

I want to support Sentai and help them out, but I can't do that if they can't help me out.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:36 pm Reply with quote
If enough people buy Gintama, they may consider dubbing it. It happened with Clannad after all.

But if everyone is just like "I love the show, but I won't buy it because of X" then who knows if they'll even complete the series.
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Love how basic and informative the site is. The only change I would make is maybe adding trailers to it.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Very basic site, but not as boring as Media Blasters website, but not nearly as exciting as the Funimation web site.

I just really wished Gintama was dubbed...

No offense dude, but you are sounding like a broken record. Gin Tama is not dubbed, and is likely never going to get dubbed, unless the DVD's really outperform. This thread was not about You're Under Arrest or Gin Tama or any other shows lack of a dub. It was about Sentai's website.

You do not need to constantly bring up Gin Tama or YUA's lack of a dub anytime there is any thread remotely even related to Sentai. Your constant whining is not going to accomplish anything except getting on people's nerves.

At this point, as niche as Gin Tama is, and the fact that it didn't even do well in the weekly sales polls on AoD, we are just lucky to get the show. If you don't want to support a show you allegedly enjoy, fine. But get over it. This isn't the anime market of a few years ago. We all can't get what we want. Its an unfortunate truth.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:38 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

I just really wished Gintama was dubbed...

No offense dude, but you are sounding like a broken record. Gin Tama is not dubbed, and is likely never going to get dubbed, unless the DVD's really outperform. This thread was not about You're Under Arrest or Gin Tama or any other shows lack of a dub. It was about Sentai's website.

You do not need to constantly bring up Gin Tama or YUA's lack of a dub anytime there is any thread remotely even related to Sentai. Your constant whining is not going to accomplish anything except getting on people's nerves.

At this point, as niche as Gin Tama is, and the fact that it didn't even do well in the weekly sales polls on AoD, we are just lucky to get the show. If you don't want to support a show you allegedly enjoy, fine. But get over it. This isn't the anime market of a few years ago. We all can't get what we want. Its an unfortunate truth.

I know, but haven't you ever wanted something that was out of your reach? I know that Gintama is likely never to be dubbed, (just like Hare and Guu, Your Under Arrest, what have you) but it never hurts to be optimistic.

At least I am polite about this. I've seen much, much worse and so has most everyone here. But whatever, at this point I've pretty much given up on any hope that the series will ever be dubbed.

I've been watching anime for a long time now, any anime fan could tell you the anime industry isn't what it used to be.

But if I gave up right away and accepted the truth right away, then I would have quit watching anime years ago. There is always the hope that the series will be dubbed, but if you give up hope to early, then there is nothing left.
_V_

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Funny thing is, just last week, one of the fanboys was boasting that this company was essentially dead, because "it has no website"

...well, citing that Section 23's placeholder website is down now;

A lot of people never thought they'd be doing this well again.

The site is obviously not entirely finished, but its nice to see it UP there;

the problem is that I've been relying up until now on The Anime Network's website as the de facto "official" source for ADV-ish related news.

I wonder if Sentai will have its own forums. In which case, I imagine that the old TAN forums will shift to largely technical matters, while transporting the rest to SentaiFilmworks.com

I don't know.

Step in the right direction...
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Yes, you have been much more polite than other posters. But you can remain hopeful without bringing up Gin Tama's lack of a dub in EVERY SINGLE SENTAI THREAD. There comes a point when you're just beating a dead horse. LOL.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:34 am Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
I wonder if Sentai will have its own forums. In which case, I imagine that the old TAN forums will shift to largely technical matters, while transporting the rest to SentaiFilmworks.com

I doubt Sentai would add it's own forums. They want to keep traffic up on TAN's, so increasing it's competition wouldn't do any good. Besides, there are a lot of regular posters there who would still stick to the site.
_V_

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:46 am Reply with quote
in some ways this is the long-awaited "updated ADV website" we've been begging for since 2007.

Around mid-2007, the ADV website stopped updating regularly...they were due for a big update by Christmas 2007, but then Geneon collapsed and the Sojitz deal fell through; the sheet hit the fan, and in January 2008 they had to take down all of the Sojitz stuff from their website catalogue. After that it was just dead.

This was sort of the start of the "no one is talking to fans anymore and we're stumbling around blind" era, when all the news magazines shut down.

I was openly surprised that TheAnimeNetwork's website updated as much as it has; at Anime Boston 2009, they said "and we're updating TAN to have an actual online player"...everyone in the room thought they were just making claims they could never follow up on...and then they actually did a month later.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:10 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
It's a fairly basic website, but it's user friendly and easy to navigate. The colors and fonts use also mirror The Anime Network's site. Not to shabby!

I get scrollbars in scrollbars ... that is, the page scrolls within my browser window, even though most of the content inside the page are frames with their own scrollbars. That is the only thing that sticks out as being a bit untidy.

Other than that, its a very clean site. It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, but for its purpose of providing a single point of departure for any of their titles so you can go straight to your preferred source, whether hard copy or digital ... its nice and clean.

And I agree with dragonrider_cody that they do not want to add a lot of bells and whistles to this site - they do not want to compete against any of their distribution partners for repeated hits. Instead, what they have provided is something where someone discussing one of their titles on twitter or on a blog can link to their page and in all ways to get at the title are there in one uncluttered and easy to use page.
PBsallad

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

I get scrollbars in scrollbars ... that is, the page scrolls within my browser window, even though most of the content inside the page are frames with their own scrollbars. That is the only thing that sticks out as being a bit untidy.

Other than that, its a very clean site. It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, but for its purpose of providing a single point of departure for any of their titles so you can go straight to your preferred source, whether hard copy or digital ... its nice and clean.

And I agree with dragonrider_cody that they do not want to add a lot of bells and whistles to this site - they do not want to compete against any of their distribution partners for repeated hits. Instead, what they have provided is something where someone discussing one of their titles on twitter or on a blog can link to their page and in all ways to get at the title are there in one uncluttered and easy to use page.

The scroll bars within scroll bars/within the site itself is an odd design choice. But they aren't using frames.

But yeah, the site is clean looking and is nice. Would be a tad bit better if they provided links to their partners and cleaned it up. Like Hulu doesn't directly have any Sentai shows unless you count Now and Then, Here and There (Manga has the broadcast rights I think), and some shows FUNi got from them.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:22 pm Reply with quote
PBsallad wrote:
But yeah, the site is clean looking and is nice. Would be a tad bit better if they provided links to their partners and cleaned it up.

But they do have links to the specific partners for each property.

For example, Blue Drop: http://www.sentai-filmworks.com/Catalog/Blue-Drop

... has links to AnimeNetwork, iTunes, Netflix, RightStuf, and the Apple appstore.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

I just really wished Gintama was dubbed or at the very least have the first season dubbed and see how sales are. Although the manga is slightly better, the show still is a masterpiece.

I want to support Sentai and help them out, but I can't do that if they can't help me out.

Same here. Also they should dub Eyeshield 21 as well as their most popular releases. Also they need to avoid the mistakes of geneon and adv and crack down on illegal streaming sites too cause once the dubs come out , their gonna be ripped en masse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I think Big Windup proved that sports anime does not sell well in the US, therefore dubbing Eyeshield 21 would be a big mistake.

Now, on topic about the site, it is quite nice. Clean, easy to read, and not cluttered. Simplicity is the key to any design!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1