• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[done] Hiding wrong credits & renaming for Shinya Takaha

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:11 am Reply with quote
Shinya TAKAHASHI (高橋 しんや, animation director) and
Shin'ya TAKAHASHI (高橋 伸也, seiyuu, 1978-07-12) are different romanizations of the same name, しんや.

But apparently the English-only contributors can't handle the apostroph (indicating that "n" is a separate syllable) and frequently (50%, i. e. 4 out of 8 cast roles) mis-assign the seiyuu credits to the animator whose romanization they understand. One user who credited the animator of a cast entry (for Ga-Rei Zero) added the kanji 飯綱紀之:高橋伸也 in his source string; user "divine" flagged this as error and suggested a split, unaware of the already existing Shin'ya TAKAHASHI.

Would this happen less frequently if the persons were named Shinya Takahashi (animator) and Shinya Takahashi (seiyuu), making the duplicate more apparent?

Last edited by Devil Doll on Thu May 13, 2010 12:25 pm; edited 3 times in total
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Devil Doll wrote:

Would this happen less frequently if the persons were named Shinya Takahashi (animator) and Shinya Takahashi (seiyuu), making the duplicate more apparent?

Because we follow Wikipedia's style (see #5 there) on romanization, they should have the apostrophe, so it should be Shin'ya Takahashi (animator) and Shin'ya Takahashi (seiyuu)
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm fine with this - but wouldn't it automatically lead to another Shinya Takahashi being created?
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:19 am Reply with quote
Renamed to Shinya Takahashi (animator) and Shinya Takahashi (seiyuu). Yeah, ideally it would by Shin'ya but I don't trust people to select the correct name when told that
Quote:
The following name is suspiciously similar to Shinya Takahashi: Shin'ya Takahashi (animator), Shin'ya Takahashi (seiyuu)

I just know they would go ahead and create a new entry for "Shinya Takahashi" :-/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:44 pm Reply with quote
All five cast credits of the animator flagged, and added to the seiyuu. The cast credits of the animator can now be hidden.

I can do these flag&add operations but they require me to either blindly copy the sources given by the original contributors (some of which are of bad quality such as "credits") or do research for anime that I've never seen myself. Having these credits moved during the process of the split/rename operation would leave the owner of the original credit and the connection between this user name and the given credit intact.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Devil Doll wrote:
The cast credits of the animator can now be hidden.

Done.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1