• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NY Stock Exchange Begins Delisting Process for 4Kids

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaymie

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:38 pm Reply with quote
4Kids's days are numbered.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
4Kids's days are numbered.

I really hope so, I can't stand this company. They have ruined every title they have licensed and have vastly over edited most shows like One Piece.

Although I don't want people to lose their jobs, 4kids just needs to close.
decepticons2

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I feel bad for 4kids. Everyone hates them for edits, but I am old enough to remember how bad anime was edited in the 80s.

I am sorry but I don't believe the American public wants uncensored shows on tv. I believe it is just a cultural thing. I am not sure why people are so uncomfortable with certain content. Considering that North America(Canada has its fair share to) has some of the worst rates of crime. What have the censors gained?

4kids is a leftover from when anime was traded through old vhs tapes and whatever we could get on tv. The internet and dvd market has eliminated the need for 4kids years ago. I am sure if it wasn't for the secondary income of cards and toys they would have been done long ago.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Well, I hope that FUNI buys 4Kids and releases uncut Yu-Gi-Oh, Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds, and uncut Shaman King.
YoSoyJaponesa

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:08 pm Reply with quote
**Hums Funeral Dirge**
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote
decepticons2 wrote:

I am sorry but I don't believe the American public wants uncensored shows on tv. I believe it is just a cultural thing. I am not sure why people are so uncomfortable with certain content. Considering that North America(Canada has its fair share to) has some of the worst rates of crime. What have the censors gained?

It is not so much a cultural thing as it is more of moral issue. I partly blame religion, but I also blame Janet Jackson for ruining things for everyone.

Anyways I only feel bad about the people who could potentially lose their jobs if 4kids go bye bye. I'm not a fan of 4kids at all, even though they did help me get back into anime years ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:47 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
It is not so much a cultural thing as it is more of moral issue. I partly blame religion, but I also blame Janet Jackson for ruining things for everyone.

Oh now this i gotta hear, what does she have to do with anything? Is this related to the 04 Super Bowl incident?
baadaku12345

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:50 pm Reply with quote
They are one of the last distributors of anime left; perhaps anime will die in NA without 4kids. WHY CAN"T FUNI BE OUT OF Business WITH THEIR NO TALENT VOICE ACTORS!?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:59 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:

Oh now this i gotta hear, what does she have to do with anything? Is this related to the 04 Super Bowl incident?

Well, I don't want to take this too far off-topic, but she is the reason people under 50 haven't performed at the super bowl since 04. Seriously, just look at all the young, pretty talent we've had before 2004 and look at all the old fogies we've had after 2004.
[url]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Bowl_halftime_shows[/url]

NFL = No Fun League

Every year it's less and less about football and entertainment and more and more about ratings and sponsors.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
keikanki

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Well well well, Gonzo and 4Kids officially have something in common now. Too bad it had to be this.
Flame-G102

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:09 pm Reply with quote
baadaku12345 wrote:
They are one of the last distributors of anime left; perhaps anime will die in NA without 4kids. WHY CAN"T FUNI BE OUT OF Business WITH THEIR NO TALENT VOICE ACTORS!?

GTFO, now.
Funimation may have bad voice actors, but they do not overly censor/make racist edits to anime in the interest of aiming TEENAGE and YOUNG ADULT anime at little 9 year olds. 4Kids' voice actors are good, (well, they are average, when we take into account some of them arent that great- the Tristan/Yusei VA for one, is But probably the WORST one there- While Dan Green is God. Anime hyper ) But recently, they have been making very bad role casting choices. they do NOT know who to cast for what roles anymore. Trading voice acting talent for uncut anime is a choice im willing to take. Because we all know that the DVD's would have a Japanese language option.

Howver, i am AMAZED that you would want Funimation, the one anime distributor that probably has the BEST fan interests in mind, to go out of business, Leaving us with 4kids instead, all because you like their VA's better.
WTH is wrong with you.

Anyway, I myself am hoping for Funi to eventually buy them out or buy their animes. a funimation Yugioh would be sex.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:17 pm Reply with quote
not sure what to say about this. But it doesn't look good for 4Kids. I'm kinda happy. Their dubs certainly aren't as good as they were in the 90's. And if they do go out of business, let's hope FUNimation or VIZ will rescue these shows and give us an uncut release of all the series they licensed. Smile
halo

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
So is there something legally preventing them from listing their stock through another market, such as NASDAQ or CHX? I'd think one of the smaller markets would have less strict capital requirements.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:09 pm Reply with quote
halo wrote:
So is there something legally preventing them from listing their stock through another market, such as NASDAQ or CHX? I'd think one of the smaller markets would have less strict capital requirements.

Well, that's basically what they plan to do if the NYSE drops them. They'll go to a smaller over-the-counter market and do their security trading there. This situation isn't quite as bad as people seem to believe. It's certainly not good, but it doesn't mean that they're sunk quite yet.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:11 pm Reply with quote
YoSoyJaponesa wrote:
**Hums Funeral Dirge**
**Hums "Aerith's Theme"**
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3