• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Gets Global License for Pénélope tête en l'air

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:40 am Reply with quote
4Kids getting something that is properly for kids and not teens could change people's opinions about them. I wish more companies here would license more of the World Masterpiece Theater titles.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:14 am Reply with quote
Sigh 4kids is still trying?
jsyxx

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:30 am Reply with quote
At least it wasn't anything anyone above 6 would actually want to watch.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, that's an interesting license. I remember this being subbed last year.

It looks cute. If it becomes available in Canada, I'll check it out.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:
Yeah, they are, and because of it, anime may very well reemerge in the public consciousness again. The Toonzai program block just may end up becoming the new Toonami; that is, if 4kids knows how to market it well enough. This, coupled with DBZ Kai airing on Nicktoons AND the new line-up, could easily spell out a new generation of anime fans. Can't people just be optimistic about this and not be vehemently against 4kids because they (gasp!) edit stuff?

I mean, wouldn't we rather have a new influx of fans pumping money into the industry so we can get more licenses, rather than only having a small group of diehards holding steadfast in their belief that anime shouldn't be edited or dubbed? I can assure you those very diehards grew up on edited and dubbed anime, whether it be "Robotech" or "Voltron" in the 80's, or "Dragon Ball Z" and "Pokemon" in the 90's.

People who hate on 4kids: YES, they edit the living heck out of their shows, but on the same token, they've always been good at reaching out to the children's market and introducing them to the vast medium of anime. Is that really such a bad thing? I think not.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Apollo-kun. I was introduced to Anime by Sailor Moon, Cardcaptors, and Dragonball Z. All of those dubs were downright awful, but they introduced me to better things.

Right now, to repair the Anime industry, we need to create a new generation of fans just as companies did in the 80s and 90s with us.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
I can assure you those very diehards grew up on edited and dubbed anime, whether it be "Robotech" or "Voltron" in the 80's, or "Dragon Ball Z" and "Pokemon" in the 90's.

I knew Speed Racer was dubbed, but edited? What did they edit out? Where Speed and Trixie got a little too fast in the Mach 5 after dark?

And my second anime was Evangelion on TV in the late 90's ... I'm confident that SBS did not edit it. They never edited anything. If they couldn't show something at one time slot, they picked a later time slot to show it, which is how it became known as "Sex Before Sleep".
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I've heard some of the more violent deaths were edited out of Speed Racer, but I'm not sure.

I'm the kinda guy who's mixed on 4Kids in general, because, while I do hate what they've done in the past, the whole reason I got into anime was the old Dic dub of Sailor Moon, so I can see how stuff like what they do can lead to true anime fans. Plus, I was like 8 when I saw Sailor Moon, I think and back then I'd have rather watched an edited dub than unedited subs, just because I was a little kid and wouldn't have wanted to read.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Redlinks wrote:
Yeah, they are, and because of it, anime may very well reemerge in the public consciousness again. The Toonzai program block just may end up becoming the new Toonami; that is, if 4kids knows how to market it well enough. This, coupled with DBZ Kai airing on Nicktoons AND the new line-up, could easily spell out a new generation of anime fans. Can't people just be optimistic about this and not be vehemently against 4kids because they (gasp!) edit stuff?

I mean, wouldn't we rather have a new influx of fans pumping money into the industry so we can get more licenses, rather than only having a small group of diehards holding steadfast in their belief that anime shouldn't be edited or dubbed? I can assure you those very diehards grew up on edited and dubbed anime, whether it be "Robotech" or "Voltron" in the 80's, or "Dragon Ball Z" and "Pokemon" in the 90's.

People who hate on 4kids: YES, they edit the living heck out of their shows, but on the same token, they've always been good at reaching out to the children's market and introducing them to the vast medium of anime. Is that really such a bad thing? I think not.

Why the hell do we need 4Kids to do this? I mean Pokemon isn't even produced by 4Kids anymore. A company that has more respect for their shows could fill in the gap. And the anime industry was around a long [expletive] time before 4kids. Why does 4Kids get so much damn credit for an industry that existed before it via VHS? Maybe the anime industry would be in better shape if a company that wasn't managed so incompetently would replace them. Right now the company's best bet seems to be being bought by someone else. That's pretty [expletive] pathetic.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I wish more companies here would license more of the World Masterpiece Theater titles.

I TOTALLY AGREE!!! They should especially license ones like Anne of Green Gables, A Little Princess Sara, The Dog of Flanders (the 1997 movie included. THEY BETTER RE-RELEASE THE MOVIE!!!), and maybe even Les Miserables Shoujo Cosette!

On another note, this was TOTALLY unexpected. I thought it'd go unlicensed. I saw some episodes of the 2009 version and I thought it was adorable!
Flame-G102

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:03 pm Reply with quote
HOLY SHIT,
4KIDS LICENSING A SHOW FOR KIDS THAT ACTUALLY IS FOR KIDS?

WHOA. BLOWIN' MY MIND THERE, 4KIDS.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:07 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:
Redlinks wrote:

Why the hell do we need 4Kids to do this? I mean Pokemon isn't even produced by 4Kids anymore. A company that has more respect for their shows could fill in the gap. And the anime industry was around a long [expletive] time before 4kids. Why does 4Kids get so much damn credit for an industry that existed before it via VHS? Maybe the anime industry would be in better shape if a company that wasn't managed so incompetently would replace them. Right now the company's best bet seems to be being bought by someone else. That's pretty [expletive] pathetic.

..... Dude.

The anime industry DID exist beforehand; anybody with a basic knowledge of the field could tell you that, and I sure as heck didn't need reminding. But that same anybody could ALSO telling you that it being on VHS, being only available largely through small video stores and specialty catalogs limited the amount of people who could watch it. 4Kids, Nelvana (who I actually hate vehemently for what they did to "Cardcaptor Sakura"), et al, put a lot of anime on TV, therefore massively increasing the number of viewers. Very similar to what World Productions and Harmony Gold did for "Voltron" and "Robotech", respectively. If you honestly expect me to believe that the anime industry would be as big as it was through most of the first decade of the 2000's without companies such as 4kids putting it on TV, then you're just being unrealistic and trying to pick a pointless fight.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:11 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Quote:
I wish more companies here would license more of the World Masterpiece Theater titles.

I TOTALLY AGREE!!! They should especially license ones like Anne of Green Gables, A Little Princess Sara, The Dog of Flanders (the 1997 movie included. THEY BETTER RE-RELEASE THE MOVIE!!!), and maybe even Les Miserables Shoujo Cosette!

On another note, this was TOTALLY unexpected. I thought it'd go unlicensed. I saw some episodes of the 2009 version and I thought it was adorable!
Yeah, I really do want more World Masterpiece Theater anime, especially "Heidi: Girl of the Alps" and "Dog of Flanders." The only problem may be the age of some of these titles could throw off newer fans; they'd have to be released in some kind of specialty set that would snag all of the seasoned anime veterans. Sets which, I should add, I would easily shell out money on, and I think many others would as well.

But yeah, more Masterpiece Theater = Anime smile for me.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I always wanted to catch a glimpse at Penelope, since it looked cute and has a different animation style (especially compared to most children shows). Hopefully 4Kids will give it a fair shake, which seems easy enough to do in this case.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:31 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Why the hell do we need 4Kids to do this?

Two reasons: they have the funds, and they are willing to use them.

Just because they did not treat your favorite anime like it was some holy and revered artifact doesn't mean that they are totally incompetent. Between Pokemon, Yu-gi-Oh, and TMNT, they had a pretty good run, but hit a lull at a bad time economically.

Besides, fans in the West are not in a position to be choosy right now.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2