• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show: Dribbling Eastward

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_-D-_

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:36 am Reply with quote
Great article again. Very interesting history here.

Wow, Dragon League sounds quite interesting and funny on many levels. Is that like funny funny or ludicrous funny? It seems like both but hard to tell. The encyclopedia picture makes me wonder even more.

Also, the third picture mouse over caption (the one that matches the article thumbnail) says Red Blooded Eleven. Is that supposed to be Inazuma Eleven?

Oh and...
Mike Toole wrote:
...it chronicles Seisuke Kano, a transfer student (they're always transfer students)...
...made me laugh. Very Happy
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:13 am Reply with quote
Very interesting indeed.

This definitely makes me feel a certain amount of nostalgia since I, like many others around the globe, grew up watching Captain Tsubasa way back in the day. It's hard to forget about how I used to rush home from school in order to try and keep up with the new episodes...with very varying degrees of success, much to my younger self's regret.

The seemingly endless matches that went on for far too many episodes and the use recycled footage are all too apparent now, in retrospect, but they were the least of my concerns back then. Yes, all the special moves were probably one of the main attractions. Seeing the increasing amounts of crazy stunts in the midst of regular cliffhangers and weekly doses of (melo-)drama made for a very attractive formula. Having a rather likable cast of characters didn't hurt either.

In the interest of full disclosure though...these days I'm more of a fan of the sport itself than of Captain Tsubasa or most sports anime in general...with the possible exception of Cross Game. For better or for worse, at some point I realized that there was too much stagnation and the transparent formula stopped being as enjoyable as it once was. I eventually ended up liking the SNES /SFC games that much more than the actual Tsubasa show.

Just as well, I do have to say that much of the other material in the article was almost entirely new and fairly informative.

Quote:
We wouldn't see an anime soccer story for some years-- not until 1992's Free Kick to Tomorrow. Known as Supercampeones in some Spanish-speaking countries (very confusing, since Captain Tsubasa was also known as Supercampeones in some Spanish-speaking countries)

For the sake of clearing this up, I believe it goes like this:

Captain Tsubasa = Campeones: Oliver y Benji (Spain) = Supercampeones (Latin America)

Free Kick to Tomorrow = Supercampeones (Spain)

More often than not, Spain and Latin America are completely separate markets as far as anime goes and dubs tend to be produced independently on both sides of the pond. That can lead to some curious situations and misunderstandings, to say the least.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:51 am Reply with quote
What's "COOKIE CRISP" ?
The reason American English has different terms for the same thing is because your colloquialisms were frozen in late 18th and early 19th century English, where as we had moved on and evolved. You still call the path along a road a "side walk" where we now call it a "pavement", which to you is the paved road. So if you were here in the UK and someone told you not to ride your bike on the pavement, you would ride it on the sidewalk and get a fine from the traffic warden for doing so. Laughing

The term Soccer is still used when we have to distinguish between Rugby, your NFL, and what some call "the beautiful game" (I don't cause I prefer rugby the game that seperates the men from the bishounen what wear pretty boots Razz ) Soccer was declaired "true football" because it is a penalty for the ball to be touched by any part of the upper appendages, that being arms, or hands. As for the World Cup, looks like England are going to be coming home early again, unless they wake up and start playing like the over paid players they are. It will be only the second time since 1958 that they will not get past the first stages, however if they simply draw again that means they will have the same amount of points as the USA and Sovenia and then FIFA will decide who goes forward by drawing lots, and you wonder why I support rugby? Laughing Laughing Laughing
leongsh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:20 am Reply with quote
You have missed out a couple of football anime series,

Moero! Top Striker (circa 1991-1992)
Offside (circa 2001-2002)

There are a couple more that I can't recall offhand - one of which was a joint Japan-Korea production.

And one clarification: =P

In Aoki Densetsu Shoot, the underlying reason for Kubo dying was that he was suffering from leukaemia when he played on in that last match of his. That he had an illness was hinted at from the start of the show and his occasional disappearances. His last play, with the exception of one move, has all the moves of what is possible within football as he made his way through the whole team, just like Maradona slaloming through the entire England team in 1986.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:36 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
and you wonder why I support rugby? Laughing Laughing Laughing

For the same reason that we should've won against Slovenia, yeah? Wink

Not that I'm a rugby fan. What little passion I have for sport is largely devoted to--wait for it--football, and I mean the game you play with your feet. Razz

Anyway, I've got a feeling it's going to be USA and Slovenia going through group, since yeah, England's been playing a pretty stale game. Works for me!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:09 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
and you wonder why I support rugby? Laughing Laughing Laughing

For the same reason that we should've won against Slovenia, yeah? Wink

Not that I'm a rugby fan. What little passion I have for sport is largely devoted to--wait for it--football, and I mean the game you play with your feet. Razz

Anyway, I've got a feeling it's going to be USA and Slovenia going through group, since yeah, England's been playing a pretty stale game. Works for me!
I won't mention the cricket then. Laughing
Brack

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:07 am Reply with quote
_-D-_ wrote:

Also, the third picture mouse over caption (the one that matches the article thumbnail) says Red Blooded Eleven. Is that supposed to be Inazuma Eleven?

It's Hungry Heart: Wild Striker, that character design is far too normal for Inazuma Eleven!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:22 am Reply with quote
Brack wrote:
_-D-_ wrote:

It's Hungry Heart: Wild Striker, that character design is far too normal for Inazuma Eleven!

Whoops, that was my mistake. Fixed, thanks for checking!
_-D-_

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:07 am Reply with quote
Brack wrote:

Ah, okay. Not familiar with the shows in question myself, so I thought it might have been a mix up from the similarity in the titles. Thanks for the correct correction.
kgw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:02 am Reply with quote
Great article. When i was in high school we talked about what would be Captain Tsubasa's Japan National team. Oh, it was then when I discovered the unwritten law of anime sports: the comical character is always chosen over any not-main character, but better player.

nightjuan wrote:
Very interesting indeed.
For the sake of clearing this up, I believe it goes like this:
Captain Tsubasa = Campeones: Oliver y Benji (Spain) = Supercampeones (Latin America)
Free Kick to Tomorrow = Supercampeones (Spain)

Also, in Spain, after the big success of Captain Tsubasa, Kickers was called Campeones 2 (later Supergol) and dub said that its main character was Tsubasa Ozora's cousin.

nightjuan wrote:
More often than not, Spain and Latin America are completely separate markets as far as anime goes and dubs tend to be produced independently on both sides of the pond. That can lead to some curious situations and misunderstandings, to say the least.

That's a polite way to call flamewars and troll comments in Youtube. "Hey, your dub sucks", "Not, your dubs bigger time"... and then it's all flames.

Anyway, it's real pity that football has not a Mitsuru Adachi...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:08 am Reply with quote
Erm. Japan's playing in the World Cup too. Not very well, but they're there. Wink
Showsni

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:02 am Reply with quote
Provided we win against Slovenia we're guaranteed to go through. Best situation is we win and Algeria win, then we go through top of the group. We'll still go through on a draw if it's 3 all and Algeria draw 0 all with the US... I don't think they draw lots until after looking at goal difference and goals scored, right?

Interesting article, but of course the football cartoon I remember most is The Hurricanes. (Storm time's coming to you today!)

Oh, and we call Cookie Crisp "Cookie Crisp" here. We still have cookies, as a chocolate chip containing subdivision of biscuits.
Ta-kun The Black Kitty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:41 am Reply with quote
Best. ANN. Article. EVER.

Being a Captain Tsubasa fan, this really got to me. Mike, I salute thee.

But there's a little mistake. Hungry Heart: Wild Striker's main character isn't called Seisuke. It's Kyousuke. Seisuke is the older brother who's playing in A.C Milan (voiced by none other than Koyasu Takehito). And a small yet funny fact: In HH: WS, Nakayama Masashi (yup, THE Nakayama Masashi) appears in episode 24, voiced by himself.

Otherwise, it's an awesome article. Spot on.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:24 am Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:

Interesting article, but of course the football cartoon I remember most is The Hurricanes. (Storm time's coming to you today!)

Ah, memories. Every so often the song wanders into my head and stays for a while. Still the closest I've gotten to watching a sport anime. Laughing
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:05 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
Oh, it was then when I discovered the unwritten law of anime sports: the comical character is always chosen over any not-main character, but better player.

Which is something that also consistently applies to a lot of other anime too, in fact, and shounen in particular.

Quote:
That's a polite way to call flamewars and troll comments in Youtube. "Hey, your dub sucks", "Not, your dubs bigger time"... and then it's all flames.

This is unfortunately true, but then again that seems to be the result of far too many Youtube discussions regardless of whatever subject is being debated. It's still a pity that unfamiliarity and immaturity often lead to unnecessary intolerance and hostility. I guess it's a seemingly inevitable outcome one can't hope to deny.

Oh well...I would say that's also the case as far as hooligans and aggressive sports fans in general are concerned.

Quote:
Anyway, it's real pity that football has not a Mitsuru Adachi...

Agreed. What little I've seen of his work so far has impressed me and I'm hardly a baseball fan. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3