• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kenichi Sonoda to Launch New Manga, Kio Ends Digopuri

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:59 pm Reply with quote
N/M I mixed him up with a different manga-ka.
Maximus44

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Kenichi Sonoda!

I am glad to see him releasing something new.

Last thing of his I read was Cannon God Exaxxion (which apparently according to this article was his most resent manga), and that was probably 10 years ago!
Don't know if it was finished in America, but I quit reading it after about 3 issues.

Wasn't a fan of Cannon God Exaxxion, but I love Gunsmith Cats!

If it gets a U.S. release I will check it out.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I've only read a chapter of Digopuri and needless to say, I am not really impressed. Solely based off chapter one, I give it a five out ten.

Genshiken was exceptional and I really enjoy each and every chapter. The anime was good as well, but the manga was much better.

An upside of that the manga ended sooner than later. Almost nothing is as worse as when a author runs out of ideas or isn't interested in the series.

But I highly doubt Digopuri will ever be licensed in the states. The subject is already taboo in some sense and the fact people these days are often more sensitive than needed doesn't help matters either.
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:00 pm Reply with quote
That's OK, you can leave Digopuri to people who are interested in manga that dwells in real life issues, such as unmarried and teenage pregnancy. Also for people who will read more than one episode before making a judgement.

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
The subject is already taboo in some sense and the fact people these days are often more sensitive than needed doesn't help matters either.

Have you, perhaps, heard of a little American film called Juno? Maybe not, considering that it wasn't highly successful or anything...

In other news, VERY happy to hear something new coming out of Sonoda, although my first gut reaction to that title is "okay-- he's making a male Bayonetta?" (Which, technically, would just by "Bayonet", right?) I guess we'll see when it rolls out.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Greg Aubry wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
The subject is already taboo in some sense and the fact people these days are often more sensitive than needed doesn't help matters either.

Have you, perhaps, heard of a little American film called Juno? Maybe not, considering that it wasn't highly successful or anything...

In other news, VERY happy to hear something new coming out of Sonoda, although my first gut reaction to that title is "okay-- he's making a male Bayonetta?" (Which, technically, would just by "Bayonet", right?) I guess we'll see when it rolls out.

I saw about 5-10 minutes of that movie (Juno) and while it wasn't a bad movie, I wasn't really that interested. I say taboo only based on real life experience. Some people much rather talk about other things (Weather, sports, what have you) but I actually haven't meet a person who openly talks about the above topic.

Sydney2K: Considering the series is unlicensed saying anymore on this topic could land me in hot water.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:01 am Reply with quote
Bullet the Wizard.............. Isn't that like the Washington-DC NBA mascot? Laughing

Greg Aubry wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Maybe that's why. How much anime/manga fans have seen it? Razz

Some people still won't talk about Sarah Palin's daughter Bristol's situation....

Greg Aubry wrote:

Ironically enough, the producers of Bayonetta disapprove of its ero-doujinshi. Laughing
Mikuru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I'll always have a soft spot for Kenichi Sonoda since he loves Chicago and it was the setting used in Gunsmith Cats.
Funny this happened because someone asked this on AnimeNation not too far back:
http://www.animenation.net/blog/2010/05/19/ask-john-what-has-kenichi-sonoda-been-doing-lately/
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Kenichi Sonoda is my favorite character designer, I'm glad he hasn't disappeared from the manga world like many have feared.

BTW the title of that Kio manga, according to the image should be Jigopuri (unless read in the traditional way it would be Gorijipu).
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:19 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Teriyaki Terrier]Sydney2K: Considering the series is unlicensed saying anymore on this topic could land me in hot water.[/quote]

Why? I have no problems discussing it. I have the first volume, and am planning to get the second volume next month. In case you are wondering if I can prove it, let me say that the protagonist's sister is a gothic lolita dresser, and on the back cover of the tankubon she is seen sitting holding up a disposable diaper.

Shimoku's art is very interesting. He uses the the same stylised character design for the adult characters that he uses for Genshiken, but not so for the infant. The baby is drawn very photographically realistic, not the standard smooth and wrinkleless idealised representation of a baby as depicted in many manga.

Of course if Digopuri is not your style you could always read Otaku no Musume-san.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:59 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
BTW the title of that Kio manga, according to the image should be Jigopuri (unless read in the traditional way it would be Gorijipu).

The two tiny stars besides ち (chi) and こ (ko) act as dakuten, making them ぢ (ji/di/zi) and ご (go). The problem is that ぢ is similar to じ (ji) and is rarely used in modern Japanese after 1946. To type ぢ one has to use "di" on keyboard which, however, can be confused with でぃ (romanized as "di" but typed as "dexi"). Kio might wanted to use the dakuten to make it sound more like slurry baby-talk.

As far as I know there's no official romanization from Kodansha at this moment; we'll discuss this issue.

UPDATE: We'll keep both at this moment until an official romanization from Kodansha is available.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:05 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Past wrote:

The two tiny stars besides ち (chi) and こ (ko) act as dakuten, making them ぢ (ji/di/zi) and ご (go). The problem is that ぢ is similar to じ (ji) and is rarely used in modern Japanese after 1946. To type ぢ one has to use "di" on keyboard which, however, can be confused with でぃ (romanized as "di" but typed as "dexi"). Kio might wanted to use the dakuten to make it sound more like slurry baby-talk.
Ah thanks for the clarification. I've always thought the choice of whether to use ぢ or じ for "Ji" was mostly arbitrary or depended on one's preference. The title is apparently a translation of the words "The Princess of the Hell" since ぷり refers to princess. So what's the correct word to use for Hell, Jigo or Digo?
DTJB

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:18 am Reply with quote
Maximus44 wrote:
Last thing of his I read was Cannon God Exaxxion (which apparently according to this article was his most resent manga), and that was probably 10 years ago!

Technically, his last manga was Gunsmith Cats: Burst, a continuation of the original series. Did this one a few years after completing Exaxxion. Anyway, I expect to see a bunch of guns in this new series, wouldn't expect anything else.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Glad to hear that Sonoda is still working on stuff. But that other title by Kio has an interesting title. The 'Princess of Hell'. I'm curious to know how that title works out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1