• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN Encyclopedia

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Delirium

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 2:50 am Reply with quote
Hi there,

a nice work you have put together, though I do hope that you will include advance features such like a search function and maybe cross references to manga releases as well (as you certainly know, approx. 80 % of anime are either based on manga or have a manga version available). However it´ll be a long road to collect data to all 3500 anime titles produced from 1900 till today. With sites like Andivots and AnimeNFO out there it must take something to make your site special, be it the detail grade of your information (f.e. detailed staff&cast information to all listed anime titles) or the sheer amount of data available. I am currently working on a similar project (but it´s not intended for an English audience in the first place) and do know that the technical completion is only the first step to go.

Good luck for your project and may the force be with you. :)
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 10:57 am Reply with quote
Delirium wrote:

Good luck for your project and may the force be with you. :)

I personally think one of the neatest things about the encyclopedia is that it provides provide an easy way to play "6-degrees of separation", with both cast and staff.

For example, one of the earlier ones I saw included:
_Takeshi Seyama_ did editing for all of the later Ghibli films (including Princess Mononoke) but also did work on Serial Experiments Lain..

And SEL's Animation Director, for episode 12 is _Takahiro Kishida_...
... whose name no one will remember, but he did Dragon Half episode 2!

etc. I'm sure someone could find more interesting (and longer) connections than "Princess Mononoke" and "Dragon Half" :)

Anyway... off to add some Robotech staff and cast...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hagakure

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Yes, great work!

I especially love the submission system. It fosters faster growth when everyone can participate. We just gaotta be sure to weed out the wrong info.

I made an error before (put Lex Lang as the Japanese actor for Sanosuke in Kenshin) but you guys cleaned it up fast!

The only thing that could wreck it is if we get people who maliciously submit wrong info. I don't think anyone on the forum is like that, so I'm not worried.

Great job, and it will be good to see where it goes!
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Hagakure wrote:

The only thing that could wreck it is if we get people who maliciously submit wrong info. I don't think anyone on the forum is like that, so I'm not worried.

We have some measures in place to deal with things like that.
ghoti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Hello.

First - the encyclopaedia and the whole site are really awesome.
Second - is it, or will it be, possible to send both encyclopaedia entry and it's definition? I know that it some cases entries would have to be verified, but some people really know what they write and in such way the growth of the encyclopaedia would be improved. That's just a suggestion. :)

greets everyone!
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I believe you are talking about the Lexicon, right ghoti?
ghoti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, yeah...

sorry for not saying precisely. I meant the lexicon of course.

And one more thing that just popped-up in my small lecherous mind. ;) Maybe you could add option of adding general comment to the anime reviews? It's the anime part of encyclopaedia (so i think, but I might be wrong ;))
Well anyway this site is simply ass-kicking.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 11:56 pm Reply with quote
If you want to write something for the lexicon, you're welcome to! Just e-mail me ([email protected]) with what you'd like to add. Try to look at the other lexicon entries to see what kind of mini-article we'd like. We've tried to have a good in-depth view at every one of the words, so that kind of thing is more difficult to write and is why we don't currently have more words in the lexicon. If we were satisfied with just a definition for each word, we'd have over a 100 entries by now.

As for user comments, this isn't part of our projects right now. There are plenty of websites that do that, and the good comments always end up getting lost in a sea of enthusiastic but unhelpful comments. Maybe one day... but right now we already have a LOT on our plate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 6:48 am Reply with quote
just wanted to leave a little comment:

as of january 2nd, 2003, we've passed 40,000 units of information in the encyclopedia (if i'm adding numbers correctly....)

at the rate data input's going, too, we'll pass 50k by mid-March, and may even pass 100,000 units by the end of this year. :)

congratulations everyone! keep up the good work. :)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1