• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Atlus, Studio 4°C Collaborate on Catherine Game

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:22 pm Reply with quote
For those who played Persona 3 Portable, the protagonist for this game was the previously unidentified character you talk to in the club. It's not clear if there's any connection to the Persona mythos beyond that.

Koichi Yamadera (Spike from Cowboy Bebop) is doing the voice of the main character... I hope this means they'll get Steve Blum to play him in the western release!
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I was showing this trailer to my brother, like, two minutes ago then I see it posted here.

Game looks like it could be awesome, albeit something I wouldn't play in the living room...
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:56 am Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:

Koichi Yamadera (Spike from Cowboy Bebop) is doing the voice of the main character... I hope this means they'll get Steve Blum to play him in the western release!

I doubt it will make it to the states without heavy editing or censoring even with an M rating though. (Yakuza 3 is one recent example)
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:57 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Pepperidge wrote:

I doubt it will make it to the states without heavy editing or censoring even with an M rating though. (Yakuza 3 is one recent example)

What make you think that? We make a lot of dark game similar to this and none of them has been ban in the US. Persona even though it's rated M has been brought over to US. What could be in the game Catherine that would be too questionable for it to be brought over in the US?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sepherest

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:58 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
configspace wrote:
Pepperidge wrote:

What make you think that? We make a lot of dark game similar to this and none of them has been ban in the US. Persona even though it's rated M has been brought over to US. What could be in the game Catherine that would be too questionable for it to be brought over in the US?

That and since this is a videogame and not something like manga or doujinshi we're talking about, it probably won't be as explicit as we're expecting. There has already been an increase in sexual imagery and nudity in western games, and Sony stated that they wouldn't allow anything on there console with a level above what was in God of War III. I'm sure Catherine won't be as intense. There was also already an eroge J-RPG released stateside too, called Record of Agarest War.

And besides, it's Atlus. I think they've moved on from what censoring and translating liabilities they had in the nineties. Knowing them and seeing so many forums on fire about this game I wouldn't be surprised to see an english release six months after it's out in Japan. It's also their first game on an HD console, which is a pretty big deal.
John Casey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:11 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Pepperidge wrote:

You have absolutely no idea who Atlus are.

That said, this game does look truly interesting... But this is without a doubt Shoji Meguro's worst attempt at rap.

Just because of music, the game for me went from day one to a bargain bin purchase.

Yes, you can suck that badly at making soundtracks...

Sepherest wrote:
It's also their first game on an HD console, which is a pretty big deal.

Demon's Souls. 3D Dot Game Heroes. Zeno Clash. Operation Darkness. Spectral Force 3. Zoids Assault.

Yeah. It's their first HD console game.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:35 am Reply with quote
@ John Casey

Those games you listed for HD console was Atlus USA publishing those games. There is a big different between developing a game and publishing a game. All those games listed have different developers that aren't from Atlus Japan. Atlus USA just brought them over here. In the case of Catherine, its Atlus Japan that's making the game, thus their first venture on a HD console. A big deal if you're a fan of Atlus Japan's games.
sepherest

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:08 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

Sepherest wrote:
It's also their first game on an HD console, which is a pretty big deal.

Demon's Souls. 3D Dot Game Heroes. Zeno Clash. Operation Darkness. Spectral Force 3. Zoids Assault.

Yeah. It's their first HD console game.

Atlus didn't make any of those games, they only published them.
I'm talking about the ones they develop.
Shale

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:14 am Reply with quote
I hate Persona but I love Studio 4°C, and the crazier parts of that trailer look great.

So conflicted...
John Casey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:45 am Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:

And besides, it's Atlus. I think they've moved on from what censoring and translating liabilities they had in the nineties. Knowing them and seeing so many forums on fire about this game I wouldn't be surprised to see an english release six months after it's out in Japan. It's also their first game on an HD console, which is a pretty big deal.

Odd. I never read anything that specified publishing from developing. And the whole tidbit about the translations tips the claim towards the publisher side...

So yeah. He was talking about Atlus the publisher, not Atlus the developer. My post still stands. :3 Unless it was an error on his part....to which I say....be more particular next time! =.=
DFBTG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:00 pm Reply with quote
So cannot wait for this. Sure, I'd prefer a Persona 5, but given it's being made by what appears to be the same team as P3 and P4, this should live up to my expectations regardless. Here's hoping to see it make stateside unscathed within reasonable time.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:14 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
configspace wrote:
Pepperidge wrote:

The game apparently has a CERO "C" rating in Japan, which is equivalent to a hard-T, light-M. I don't think we should expect anything more explicit than what we've already seen in the trailer, and I absolutely do not see it getting censored for its North American release.
John Casey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:07 pm Reply with quote
The game's been rated in Japan already?
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
configspace wrote:
Pepperidge wrote:

The game apparently has a CERO "C" rating in Japan, which is equivalent to a hard-T, light-M. I don't think we should expect anything more explicit than what we've already seen in the trailer, and I absolutely do not see it getting censored for its North American release.

So it already got a rating of C from CERO, huh. Nice to know, so I think bringing this game to US wouldn't be difficult for Atlus.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:31 am Reply with quote
Looks really great. Very Happy I'm really anticipating this.
Hoping for an English release of the game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2