• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, August 16-22

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:32 pm Reply with quote
YAY! Tatami Galaxy is not a financial failure! Otaku have taste!
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Otaku...I am so glad that Japanese disparagements are easily useable in conversations but if somebody busts out a kawaii or a sugoi and the conversation enters DEFCON1.

No shocker about Tatami Galaxy. The superb visuals are full of homages to Japanese art history that beg to be seen in the best resolution possible. While the dialogue and story are best enjoyed multiple times due to the pacing, much like FLCL.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see that Tatami Galaxy had decent sales. The DVD was actually the #1 selling DVD for last Friday. I don't think the actual numbers will show it to be a big hit, but I think it should easily be the best selling Yuasa directed work so far (to which I added 1 BD sale).

But as for FLCL... ugh. Paying Japanese prices for a badly done upscale with what is possibly the worst packaging idea ever. (Click on the customer photo links.) A cardboard box you have to rip open along perforations, inside that a plastic bag you have to rip or slice open, and inside that a jewel case. Something more appropriate for a box of candy or cookies. This is one case where the US blu-ray release later this year should have both better video and packaging at a third the price. It's a Festivus miracle!
Annf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Looks like K-ON!! is doing pretty much like expected: not as high as the first season, but still very good.

I was away on vacation for a bit and just yesterday placed an order for various BDs, so unlike hissatsu I'm not part of those numbers. Razz
You think it's likely the U.S. release of FLCL will look better?
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Annf wrote:

You think it's likely the U.S. release of FLCL will look better?

Almost surely. Funimation has greatly improved their upscales (See, massive amounts of whining does work!). No more DNR/EE. Basically every upscale they've released since Ouran had been good, and they now label their upscales as such on the packaging.

But the Japanese have gotten much worse - upscaling using technology (I hesitate to call it that, it's probably just a software package.) by a company named Q-tec has become common. It's hyped as advanced (actually, they usually refer to it as 最新アプコン), but it's basically everything people complained about Funimation's older upscales. Heavy DNR/EE, blah. No more pre-orders on any Japanese upscale, screenshots or no purchase. Starchild releases in particular have been horrendous, and they're releasing upscales even of anime that was originally done on film, which I consider somewhat inexcusable.

Last edited by hissatsu01 on Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:05 am; edited 2 times in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, a Yuasa series with actually respectable sales figures. I guess it being on Noitamina helped it quite a bit. I hope this gives FUNi a bit of hope and they can release DVD/BluRay of Tatami Galaxy here in the States (as well as licensing and releasing Kaiba/Kemonozume). A guy can dream, can't he?
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:08 am Reply with quote
Wow, FLCL is still a success in Japan after all these years. Thats cool.

I think the big news is that The Tatami Galaxy is making the big bucks, maybe this means we'll see more experimental anime coming out now that companies see that it can actually make them money.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
thenextday

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:10 am Reply with quote
Glad to see Tatami Galaxy doing good.

Hopefully this will encourage Funimation to release it over here.
jrnemanich

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:58 am Reply with quote
what i would love from funimation is a dual pack for tatami galaxy and house of five leaves. That i would buy instantly.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:15 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

It could've sold 100 copies and be in 3rd place.. just saying.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:24 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

It could've sold 100 copies and be in 3rd place.. just saying.

Very unlikely that 2.22 sold less than 100 copies this week and that was #14.

Complete conjecture here, but I'd say 3-5k copies is a decent estimate. Not mindblowing, but pretty much equal to EotE if I remember correctly. Certainly the best that a Yuasa series has done.
Jacut

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:14 am Reply with quote
I never even imagined Tatami to be placed that high in a sales ranking. Both a very surprising and glad news for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:27 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Complete conjecture here, but I'd say 3-5k copies is a decent estimate. Not mindblowing, but pretty much equal to EotE if I remember correctly. Certainly the best that a Yuasa series has done.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is EotE?
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:37 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
But the Japanese have gotten much worse - upscaling using technology (I hesitate to call it that, it's probably just a software package.) by a company named Q-tec has become common.

Q-tec is actually a (very big) post-production house, so this is yet another case of a post-production house screwing up a client's job. (For more, see: entire CPM catalog) Dunno what they're using, but IMHO most Japanese upscales have looked pretty janky. I usually don't bother unless there's a new transfer.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:40 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Forgive my ignorance, but what is EotE?
Eden of the East, another Noitamina show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2