• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buying anime digitally.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:57 am Reply with quote
Recently I have began buying more anime on itunes as to not have as much stuff in my room. While I like buying it on itunes since I can buy 1 episode at a time if I need to and I can buy episodes anytime I was wondering does that help the industry in the same way as buying the DVD's? For example if I were to buy all of School Rumble off of itunes would funi receive the same amount as buying the DVD box set would get them? What about the Japanese creators and studio? Do they receive the same amount of money as buying the DVD's would give? Also do anime companies like Funi even receive data or sales numbers from buying single episodes at a time like a buying a single DVD? Or on itunes would you have to buy the whole series to equal the purchase of a box set?
SayaSe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:16 am Reply with quote
Apple isn't going to tell you their contract terms and neither are the DVD publishers. All you'll get is speculation.
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:47 pm Reply with quote
But do you know if there is any difference at all? I don't need specifics but am I helping the industry by buying off of iTunes in the way way I would be if I bought a DVD?
RHachicho

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:10 am Reply with quote
I imagine so is about the best answer you are going to get sorry bud but Saya5e is correct. There is simply no way to know for sure. Still it is not up to you to ensure that funi gets maximum profits that is their deal. The only thing you have to do to support the industry in my book is invest money in it. And buy new whenever possible/affordable.

From a certain perspective though digital sales are less hassle for funimation. No physical object needs to be made or transported for them to deliver so even if they charge less they will still make plenty bank. Again though this is just conjecture on my part.
Skylark

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:25 am Reply with quote
I can give you a little idea as I have an album for sale on iTunes, though I don't know if it works the same with foreign imports or exports, or what the deal is there. We don't get as much money from digital distribution as we do for direct album sales, because the product isn't worth as much - obviously you aren't buying the case, the disc, the interface, all the pretty stuff that you can physically hold. But iTunes isn't a ripoff either. They only take a cut of sales and the rest goes to us (we did our own producing; again, it would be different if we had a producer, songwriter etc and splitting would happen at different stages in the anime company - again I'm not sure how exactly it would correlate in anime terms). So I would say you are helping the industry, yes. But I daresay, as in the case of my band, if you bought a licensed dvd you would be offering more support, and if you purchase imports directly you would offer even more still. It's hard to say how much actually reaches the creators after promoters and distributors take their cut. I personally don't get people who purchase digitally - I like to have something physical to show for my purchase. But that's just me I guess, and not really on topic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lkplkplkp3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:58 pm Reply with quote
RHachicho wrote:
I imagine so is about the best answer you are going to get sorry bud but Saya5e is correct. There is simply no way to know for sure. Still it is not up to you to ensure that funi gets maximum profits that is their deal. The only thing you have to do to support the industry in my book is invest money in it. And buy new whenever possible/affordable.

From a certain perspective though digital sales are less hassle for funimation. No physical object needs to be made or transported for them to deliver so even if they charge less they will still make plenty bank. Again though this is just conjecture on my part.
I'm not sure if this is what you meant (in your second to last sentence), but for what it's worth, I'd just like to add that buying anime episodes is often more expensive than buying physical copies. $2 per episode, costing you, for example, $50 for an entire 25 episode series, even if there's a $30 box set available (plus you get special features with the physical copies).
RHachicho

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Well I certainly didn't look up the numbers but that seems pretty odd. You would think their overheads would be far lower with digital sales.

Maybe it's the old schtick of trying to rip people off with $2 episodes because it dousn't seem you are spending as much all at once. Or maybe I am wrong about the overheads =)
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:44 am Reply with quote
Apple is a business and yes they dont like to publicly display that info, but it is out there. That info portrays Apple as the thieving sharks they really are.

Anyhow, dont know about anime, but they probably have a similar deal given to people who make apps. 70 percent goes to developers. 30 percents goes to apple.

In case ur wondering, music artists make shit from itunes. That 70 percent goes to the record company.

And no, this for the douche bags, smart asses, watever (A lot on this forum apparently. I'll admit I'm one too). I'm not gunna do ur research for u. Look it up or just say Im wrong.

Anyway, yes, the proceeds from downloading does help the anime industry similarly. If u think about it its the same everywhere online (e-commerce). You pay a fix rate or ask the creators of a website to sell/advertise ur product. In return, the website creators gets a cut of the total sales (basically what happens). Also, about every month or so (sometimes every 6 months or a year) most businesses keep track of what sells and what doesn't (forgot the name of this data). Industries ask for this info and pays to get it. Rarely, do companies hand out that marketing info for free. Don't think apple is one of the nice guys lol definitely not. Anyway, after all expenses paid, the profit should be about the same (buying a dvd boxset or all 26 episodes). Most times, when the single episodes are high, it's because Apple is unjustly asking for too much. Often the case. Same bs happened to NIN. Yeah business is dirty hmm...

Should ask one of the mods about this. They are more familiar about these type of transactions and will give u a better answer. Well I hope they dont advertise for free..............

Personally, I think at first, the anime industries made a lost, but now they are making a profit. It was a smart business move future wise. As u can see, a lot of everyday things are being replaced by online related technology. Just look at cell phones. Some people don't even talk to each other anymore. They text. We will be at a point where in order to do business, companies must be able to communicate via online.
Opera Floozy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:30 am Reply with quote
RHachicho wrote:
Well I certainly didn't look up the numbers but that seems pretty odd. You would think their overheads would be far lower with digital sales.

Maybe it's the old schtick of trying to rip people off with $2 episodes because it dousn't seem you are spending as much all at once. Or maybe I am wrong about the overheads =)

There is a set of items. It's expected that buying the entire set as a whole will be cheaper than buying each item separately. Certainly the $2 per episode iTunes price is cheaper than the $25 per 4-5 episode retail price of anime in parts. It's only when the anime hits the bargain bin and/or in box sets that the physical copy would beat the $2 per episode price.
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:18 am Reply with quote
Well I found this quote in an article:

Quote:
With increased penetration of DVRs and the likes of Netflix already putting a dent into TV show DVD sales, it’s hard to fault the networks and studios for resisting. Plus, Apple is still going to want their third. At $1, that effectively drops the cost of most TV shows down to $22 a season of which, the studios would receive about $14.50

so does that help at all? Would anime companies receive something along those lines?
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:22 am Reply with quote
I'm sure they get good money from digital purchased. However, I have grown to shy away from digital purchases because they're more expensive in the long run and there is a chance you could lose episodes if your computer crashes. I also had a bad experience with losing access to episodes from Basilisk which I purchased from the Xbox Live marketplace. I had to call customer service several time and never resolved the issue, so the money I spent went down the drain. For this reason, I stick to dvd’s/blu-rays.
crunchycat
I do Marketing for Anime Companies

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:15 am Reply with quote
in a digital age we have many ways to get anime legally of course. Digital purchases are not a bad idea but I dont really like spending 2 bucks per episode even thou yes it is nice being able to put it on an Ipod and episodes via systems are worse unless you have a large harddrive, so I agree DVD/Blu Rays are a better option.

The other option is streaming such as Crunchyroll/Hulu/Funimation which mostly premiers anime subbed before we watch so in our age anime is nice and easier to get legally and nice.
RoverTX

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Apples Video encodes are also focused on smaller size not quality, (namely because the bigger the size the more broadband they have to use up which means a smaller profit). This means lower resolution, lower audio quality, and because they have to keep everything standered for a number of older units they are missing out on a lot of new H.264 features (they used to not even use any b-frames though I am not sure if this is still the case), which means quality and compression suffer.

While I enjoy iTunes for music, namely because I am not an audiophile and their audio encoding is actually pretty ok, there video because of bandwidth limitations and the need to actually turn a profit isn't that great.... Your mom might not notice but you will notice the difference between it and the DVD.
crunchycat
I do Marketing for Anime Companies

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:07 am Reply with quote
all of them tend to be lower quality even when it says HD for apple, so I like putting more focus on PSN downloads if the DVD isnt available just for the better resolution.

Sites are starting to add higher quality, alot of the shows I watch on hulu or Crunchy have been at 720p so its a huge improvement.....now for the day most sites stream at 1080.
TKDSoldier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:46 am Reply with quote
I've wondered this to, because I've been watching Baccano all on Xbox Live. I assume they must make something from it if they continue to keep releasing new anime. However, I kinda like collecting DVD copies
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2