• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Licensed/dubbed anime - wishlist?

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:23 am Reply with quote
Here is a question for all of you. What are some anime titles, may they be old (70ies+) or new (2010), that you wish would get licensed and dubbed in English? I didn't see any posts about this already so I felt it was safe to make one.

For me, I would like to see the following get licensed so I can add them to my DVD collection (yet with some of these titles I highly doubt they will ever be but here is wishful thinking):

Angel Beats! - Love anything done by Key and this series was pretty good (huge sucker for the art). One of my top ten favorites of 2010.

Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito - I like Yuri anime and since I have been seeing a number of them being released why not this one? It was the first Yuri title I ever watched and I loved the art and story.

Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Kai - First season blew my mind away and I would love to see the rest of the Higurashi series be licensed.

Umineko no Naku Koro Ni Same as with Higurashi. I love the story lines of both series, especially with this one. Beatrice is a pretty badass villian.

Kaiba TV This series was great. It was tragic story yet wonderfully done spoiler[except with the ending being kinda rushed, I was a bit disappointed.]. Regardless, I would love to have this on DVD as well.

More Detective Conan This is my favorite show, period, as I am a Holmes and mystery freak. Yes I am aware the show was discontinued due to poor sales, yet I am hopeful that they will pick it up again as they got movies 3-6 this year. At most, I hope they will license the rest of the movies and perhaps the OVA's/Magic Files.

Skip Beat! I have seen this anime being streamed on Crunchyroll and it is hilarious with a great story. I have been collecting the manga volumes and would love to have the series on DVD.

Cutey Honey Flash I'm dying to see more of this show. It has the same art as Sailor Moon (which I loved) and I enjoyed watching the show even if it is similiar to most magical girl series. I'm a sucker for these types of shows (thanks to Sailor Moon).

I have plenty more to list but I'll stick with these for now. I'm interested to see what you guys would like to have be brought over to the USA/Canada. Smile

[EDIT: Changed the topic title to make a little more sense. -TK]

Last edited by Rukiia on Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:26 am Reply with quote
One of the series I would love to see released is Mononoke (and Ayakashi as a matter of fact). Just because they are so brilliant and so different. If it ever happens though, I hope it wont be such a rip off as they did in Japan, to release each arc (some of them with two eps only) in a different volume.

I'd definitely love to see House of Five Leaves and Shiki getting released as well...

What else... Skip Beat would be great, although I dont think I would actually enjoy to hear the dub, the voice acting in Japanese was what contributed largely to the comic outcome, for me at least.

Plus, I really hope to see Now & Then Here & There getting a proper release for region 2 Smile
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:28 am Reply with quote
Let us pray. Oh lord. Father in heaven.

Ever since I was a young tyke learning about the ways of anime, I realized that many of my old favorite series were only available in one edited, dub-only format. And as I grew older, heavenly father, I realized that rereleasing and rescuing titles was the "thing" thus putting them in an uncut bilingual format. Thus, dear God, I pray that one day, some company realizes that Digimon is still beloved by many and completely deserves uncut box set releases with dual-language audio. Please lord. I really liked Tamers.
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:06 am Reply with quote
Can we ask for impossible requests?

If so, I'd like R1 releases of Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Rose of Versailles, please. They don't need to be dubbed, they can be priced higher than normal R1 releases (I wouldn't want to pay as much as the Japanese, but for these releases I may consider it - I don't know who would be crying harder, myself in happiness or my wallet in despair), but I want some dang English-subtitled releases I can buy and watch. Please.

Otherwise, I'd like to see Dennou Coil licensed as well. It's more recent, but with each year that goes by without a license my hope grows less and less. Such an awesome series overlooked makes me sad hat. I will chime on in agreement as well for Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Kai. I loved the first season and would be ecstatic for the second.

And I'd like a relicense for Paranoia Agent and Cardcaptor Sakura. I know, so original, we haven't heard those requests before. I'm sad I missed out on the times those were available.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:14 am Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
One of the series I would love to see released is Mononoke (and Ayakashi as a matter of fact). Just because they are so brilliant and so different. If it ever happens though, I hope it wont be such a rip off as they did in Japan, to release each arc (some of them with two eps only) in a different volume.

Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales was released in R1 on three discs. You can buy the complete "Bakeneko" ("Goblin Cat") sequence that was the precedessor to Mononoke here. I'd love to see a Mononoke release as well, but I think the poor sales for Ayakashi have made that a non-starter.

Other series I'd like to see include:
Nodame Cantabile - now streamed with dubs at Crackle; where are the DVDs, Sony?; oh, and why don't you translate the on-screen texts?
Dennou Coil - just a beautiful and original piece of work
Kure-nai - I'm guessing the subject matter is a substantial obstacle here
Chi's Sweet Home season one - why isn't this at Crunchyroll with season two?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:43 am Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
Plus, I really hope to see Now & Then Here & There getting a proper release for region 2 Smile

There are numerous cheap, new copies available to import from R1 via Amazon Marketplace, if you're interested. Four of them are lower than the VAT limit, and the sellers in question have always sold me legitimate copies when I order with them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:46 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales was released in R1 on three discs. You can buy the complete "Bakeneko" ("Goblin Cat") sequence that was the precedessor to Mononoke here. I'd love to see a Mononoke release as well, but I think the poor sales for Ayakashi have made that a non-starter.

Zin5ki wrote:
Unicorn_Blade wrote:

There are numerous cheap, new copies available to import from R1 via Amazon Marketplace, if you're interested. Four of them are lower than the VAT limit, and the sellers in question have always sold me legitimate copies when I order with them.

Well, the problem with both is Region 1. A lot of titles, even if they do get released, never make it to Region 2, which is quite a problem for me, since I dont have any access to player that would play them. I have seen Now and then and a few other interesting titles on amazon and various other sites in really good prices, but, but... even if I get the sets I wont be able to watch them Smile

So yeah, my big wish would be to see a lot more titles in Region 2 in general.

Thanks for the links to both of you, if I ever get an upgrade on my players I will have them in mind.
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Across from Hayate the Combat Butler! (which is something I REALLY want to see re-released with it's own North American English dub and take this as "serious business" to the point of trolling and harassing other people who say that it will never be re-released with a dub), there are other anime that I would like to see dubbed.

While Toradora! is released sub-only by NIS America, I think this is an anime that NIS America may go back and re-release with a dub if things are going well with them in the anime industry. Of course, since NIS America happens to be really new to the anime biz, I'm not expecting them to take steps and do dubbing within a year or two.

Although the series is available to watch at Crunchyroll, while I only watched the first two episodes, Heroman is something that comes into mind. This show is meant to viewed for the American audience in mind since this is a work made by Stan Lee himself. It's also appropriate for child audiences that warrants for TV viewing.

Although the series is over 30-year-old and still going, I hope one day that a North American licensor would pick up Doraemon. I haven't watched the newer series, but I did watch the older one. Although someone manages to pick up for NA distribution and dub, I think the would most likely pick up the newer series. One of the great classics I will to wish to see license.

Though I personally didn't watch the series, I heard a lot of great review about Dennou Coil. Maybe this is something I would like to watch with an English dub.

Saki and Kobato. is something on my list as well. And since Toaru Majutsu no Index is licensed by Funimation, this is an anime that definitely gonna get a dub (would it be a Bang Zoom! dub or a dub using their own home voice actors is beyond me).

spoiler[Despite the most fucked up ending,] I would really like to see School Days get licensed with a dub.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:32 pm Reply with quote
There's a number of worthwhile 2007 anime titles I'd like to see get licensed:

-Nodame Cantabile- The only big josei title I'm aware of that has yet to hit the states for its anime adaptation.
-Bokurano- Funimation's been picking up enough Gonzo titles. This is one of the few titles they have yet to license. I consider Bokurano to be one of Gonzo's top titles with all the mecha/ character drama considering many of Gonzo's titles have been hit-or-miss for me.
-Minami-ke- A surprise comedy gem for 2007. Quite surprised that despite its online rep, no licensor has yet to pick up the series.
-Dennou Coil- One of 2007's best considered to be Serial Experiments Lain-lite thanks to the mix of children and augmented reality. Despite its rep with fans during the year and the acclaim the series received in Japan, it still dumbfounds me no one has licensed the show yet.
ponlork

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:03 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: Put reasons. -TK]
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
Well, the problem with both is Region 1. A lot of titles, even if they do get released, never make it to Region 2, which is quite a problem for me, since I don't have any access to player that would play them. I have seen Now and then and a few other interesting titles on amazon and various other sites in really good prices, but, but... even if I get the sets I wont be able to watch them Smile

One option is to invest $50 or so in a region-free DVD player. Here's one that seems pretty capable:
http://www.bombayelectronics.com/Toshiba_SD_705_Multi_Region_DVD_Player_p/to_sd705kv.htm
(despite the name, they're in Chicago, Illinois)

Amazon has a couple of used Philips devices for $40.

Ggultra2764 wrote:
Nodame Cantabile- The only big josei title I'm aware of that has yet to hit the states for its anime adaptation.

As I mentioned above, Nodame is now being streamed with an English soundtrack at http://www.crackle.com/c/Nodame_Cantabile. Sorry, Unicorn_Blade, but I'm afraid that it's region-locked to the US (or maybe all of R1) according to a UK poster on another site.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:

Well, the problem with both is Region 1. A lot of titles, even if they do get released, never make it to Region 2, which is quite a problem for me, since I don't have any access to player that would play them. I have seen Now and then and a few other interesting titles on amazon and various other sites in really good prices, but, but... even if I get the sets I wont be able to watch them Smile

I actually been wondering about this. Is it possible for people in the UK to buy a Region 1 DVD player and hook it up to their TV? Or are there some crazy types of cable hook ups that prevent you from doing that? Razz

I always been curious about this so if you can fill me in that would be great.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Angel Beats! - Love anything done by Key and this series was pretty good (huge sucker for the art). One of my top ten favorites of 2010.

Don't think you have to wish hard on this one. It's too well-made, has too distinctive a pedigree, has too many fan-pleasing elements, and made too much of a presence in fandom for it to not get licensed. In fact, I'll be a bit surprised if we don't see an announcement before the end of the year.

My personal wish is for an official release of Banner of the Stars III, which is a great close-out to one of the great sci fi anime franchises. Since it's only a two-episode OVA and isn't exactly new, it might only happen as part of a combined rerelease of all three series. I'd be fine with that, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ponlork

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Unicorn_Blade wrote:

I actually been wondering about this. Is it possible for people in the UK to buy a Region 1 DVD player and hook it up to their TV? Or are there some crazy types of cable hook ups that prevent you from doing that? Razz

I always been curious about this so if you can fill me in that would be great.

That may be problematic because UK uses PAL rather then NTSC. There are Region Free DVD players out there that lets you switch between both formats but I don't know how accurate it is. From my experience, I played some PAL dvds on a Region All NTSC player before and it crops off a bit of the resolution. What I would do is rip the DVD to my computer, manually change the resolution and frame rate to the PAL standard and Reburn.
Divineking

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:25 pm Reply with quote
My current list at this moment. These are titles that really should be dubbed, because honestly, the industry needs another "Naruto" or "Dragonball Z" over here in the U.S, to rake in money. Here are the titles:

Heroman(either Viz, Bandai or 4 Kids): This show has the potential to be a big hit with kids, and was built from the ground up with an English dub. I would like to see Viz or Bandai get it since they could get Bang Zoom to dub, which would allow for Stan Lee to voice his character. I could also see 4 Kids picking up this series, since it's kind of thing they'd need on Toonzai to bring in the ratings. They'd also market the crap out of it,

Katekyo Hitman Reborn(Viz Media): This show needs to be dubbed for the sole reason that it has a TON of mainstream potential, and that's what the industry is in serious need of right now. The show is a pretty big hit in Japan and it could do very well here if marketed, and edited correctly for a TV broadcast(the only way this show would make money). Surely those first 20 episodes can't be THAT hard to get around.

Fairy Tail(Funimation or 4 Kids): Mostly for the same reasons as Reborn, though this series is a bit easier to get around. It can easily be marketed to kids here, and it's a pretty popular action title, so I could see this doing well.This series also has a lot of marketing potential
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 13