• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Channel Adds High-Definition Feed

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalessin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:05 pm Reply with quote
And now queue the complaints about how much of the programming isn't "true" HD. LOL.

Regardless, another channel airing anime is a good thing, and having it in HD is even better. So, this is good news. Now if only more of it would be released on Blu-ray...
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I wonder which providers will pick it up. FiOS isn't listing it yet (not that it will really affect me as my bedroom box and TV aren't HD capable).

I've been more excited about the new shows. *prepares to fill up the DVR*
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
And now queue the complaints about how much of the programming isn't "true" HD. LOL.

Among the titles listed in the article, only two shows actually aired in 720p: Soul Eater and Darker than Black. Not to mention that Soul Eater never got released in HD despite airing in such format.

Everything else is a pathetic upscale, especially Slayers and Baccano, both of which generally look horrible because of the way they were animated.

Quote:
Regardless, another channel airing anime is a good thing, and having it in HD is even better. So, this is good news. Now if only more of it would be released on Blu-ray...

When you realize how some of the shows are horribly upscaled, blu-rays are not necessarily a good thing (e.g. AIR, Claymore, Nausicaa, and to some extent Akira). They're just another way for companies to take advantage of the consumer's lack of knowledge by pricing them at a higher price than the DVD to make the consumer think that it's "better quality"
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:23 pm Reply with quote
The new feed started Monday. I've got to admit that, on my standard def TV, it looks better than the old one, though the commercials still suck. That's why god invented DVR's, I suppose.

Program scheduling is certainly different. Instead of sequential episodes every day, some of the new shows (the shorter series) are airing on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, while others air every day. I'm guessing this is to conserve time slots.

It confused my DVR a little at first, but I was able to convince it that it was OK.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:28 pm Reply with quote
now to add the channel to more networks..
fireaxe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Okay, this might sound like a dumb and totally unrelated question, but wasn't FUNimation's video site opened for Canadian viewers? I'm a collector so I usually buy hard copies of my anime, but I wanted to give streaming a shot... only to find out that they're using embed Hulu vids so it seems I'm all out of luck.... Was it always like this?

Last edited by fireaxe on Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Yeah. I know FIOS carries it in Texas and from some of their recent advertising it looks like Comcast might be picking it up but I don't know of anybody else that has it.
Lenks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm just glad they started showing new episodes. Never thought they would come after Funi said they would start last week. Better late than never.
Otaku Teahouse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I really want the channel, but I have Dish. Sad

Either way, it's great to see some HD titles airing on tv. Some people say "all the blurays are upscales", but that's not true at all. Only the veryfirst bluays out the door at Funi were upscales, most if not all of their new stuff is native HD, except for Slayers, and even then, their latest season is in HD. I know Soul Eater is true HD as they have the original HD source as proof by their trailers on the Eva 1.11 bluray, same with Darker Than Black.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Lenks wrote:
I'm just glad they started showing new episodes. Never thought they would come after Funi said they would start last week. Better late than never.

Yeah. It's been awhile since they've shuffled the lineup and the new shows look pretty good. Soul Eater has definitely made it onto my 'to buy' list.

Last weeks programming was pretty messed up, but it looks like they've got it straightened out now.

Otaku Teahouse wrote:
I really want the channel, but I have Dish.

You could ask Dish to carry it. I've heard that can work, sometimes.
vilapupu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:40 pm Reply with quote
very glad that the FUNi channel got one of its goal, which is to get an HD feed open so that cable/satellite operators can see that's HD and there's worth getting it.
I'm wondering if this means the HD version of the channel will go to the Prime HD, since as of now, I can't really see the channel since i'm stuck with the Prime HD packet from FIOS (I do have a HD DVR btw)
Delpheno

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:04 am Reply with quote
Baccano! on Blu-Ray please?

Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:26 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

It'd be nice if I could get a hold of the channel in my area. The only way that is going to happen with the current list of providers is if I get Dish Network, and that would require a house since apartments don't let you have satellite dishes.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:28 am Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

When you realize how some of the shows are horribly upscaled, blu-rays are not necessarily a good thing (e.g. AIR, Claymore, Nausicaa, and to some extent Akira).

You examples make little sense placed together. AIR and Claymore are upscales, AIR being so-so and Claymore being kind of crappy. Nausicaa and Akira are not upscales, Nausicaa being one of the best looking transfers of a film-based anime to BD, and Akira isn't bad. Your definition of the words horrible and upscale seem to be rather different than most.
Panon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:31 am Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
When you realize how some of the shows are horribly upscaled, blu-rays are not necessarily a good thing (e.g. AIR, Claymore, Nausicaa, and to some extent Akira).

Hahaha, Nausicaa of all things? Are you just pulling titles out of a hat randomly?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3