• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vertical Adds Jiro Matsumoto's Velveteen & Mandala Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peroxid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:22 pm Reply with quote
oh yeah!
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The story centers around Velveteen (Becchin), a high school girl who lives in a battle tank on a riverbed in Tokyo's Suginami ward, and her friend Mandara. Together, the two exterminate the zombies of dead Suginami citizens.

Sold!
Wooga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Sounds good but, ugh, that is a long wait. I will probably forget about it by the time it comes out.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote
wow long wait for this one I know ill forget it by the time it comes out
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Late August 2011? Even I don't think I could remember a series that long unless I made a point to think of the title daily.

However, this series doesn't interest me at all. Super powered high school fights evil, saves the day and yet again the world is saved. It's been done and said, I've seen at least 10-20 series that followed that same concept.

But hey, if one likes that genre, that is his or her business and isn't my problem at all.

Little advice Vertical, waiting one year for just one volume is a bit much. One to five months? Really not that bad all things considered. Six months to a year plus is a very long wait and it's easy to forget about a series in that time.

But whatever, I would prolong the first volume like that, but that is just me.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:30 am Reply with quote
Awesome! Will definitely be buying.

And the wait doesn't bother me - it's easy enough to keep a list of forthcoming releases to refer to and there's plenty of other things to be buying in the meantime (including a whole bunch of stuff from Vertical).
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:11 am Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Awesome! Will definitely be buying.

And the wait doesn't bother me - it's easy enough to keep a list of forthcoming releases to refer to and there's plenty of other things to be buying in the meantime (including a whole bunch of stuff from Vertical).

Ditto.

Right off the bat I like the idea that the main character lives in a battle tank by a river ... very strange and idyllic.

Plus, it's a one-shot. Easy on the pocketbook.

Even better, check out the 4 titles by Jiro listed in the encyclopedia -- they all sound cool. I'm all for psychological suspense in my manga, and I can't fault a guy who titles his manga, "Psychedelic Witch Story."
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:08 am Reply with quote
Sounds like enough fun. I am getting a little tired of High School Girls always being the main subject... how about a disaffected carreer woman, or a delivery person, or something else.. for once?

But, tank by the river killing zombies.. I'll overlook it. Smile
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:51 am Reply with quote
Will this be as interesting as 'Tokyo Zombie'? This should be interesting. I'll keep my eye on this one. It would be nice if they could bring over his other works like 'Keep on Vibrating' which is part of an anthology. I found out about this title on the TCJ site. What an odd story.
Spinal Cord Fluid-kun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
However, this series doesn't interest me at all. Super powered high school fights evil, saves the day and yet again the world is saved. It's been done and said, I've seen at least 10-20 series that followed that same concept.

Hahaha, never read a Jiro manga have you?

I am pumped like the motherfucking Fist of the North Star, too bad viz will most likely never license Freesia.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1