• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy - Metaltech Die-cast Grendizer

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I wish this column were more focused on quality PVC instead of fugly, boring crap Razz
giascle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:45 pm Reply with quote
...When were you at Forbidden Planet? I was just there two days ago.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Huh, with shafts that thing it doesn't look like it'd be too difficult to bore them out using a thin sewing needle and use that as the peg to join them.
e-imi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:04 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
I wish this column were more focused on quality PVC instead of fugly, boring crap Razz
I second this!

If this an article on figures, there should at least be a couple reviews done on gashapon/PVCs and not just all robots and articulated figures! Confused
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I like the action figures too, but less things from the 70's maybe.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:05 am Reply with quote
I guess I just feel like all the things I've seen in this column lately (or really, for the most part) have seemed really out of touch with what is most popular with anime fans who collect toys/figures.

Maybe check out http://myfigurecollection.net/ to keep up with what's hot and what's not? Wink
Swissman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:01 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
I guess I just feel like all the things I've seen in this column lately (or really, for the most part) have seemed really out of touch with what is most popular with anime fans who collect toys/figures.

Hey, by reading such an article about a toy of a show you don't know, you could learn something new. Imagine that!
The author is not obliged to write anything about the latest figurine trend or what gives Otaku wet dreams nor should he.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SantaBla

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:03 am Reply with quote
I can't believe you called Grendizer boring fugly crap. I'm not the biggest Grendizer fan out there, but the show has a huge following in Italy, France and some arabic countries. If you don't like what he's reviewing, stop checking his column. But oh well, I'm talking to someone who has a k-on avatar, why am I wasting my breath? Grendizer not moe enough for you? Or maybe because you can't sniff mr.Grendizer pants haha.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:18 am Reply with quote
I never said the author HAD to do anything, I just said what I wished. I was hopeful with this new author that we might see some of the beautiful PVC figures out there without any "omg gross I think you can see the nipples! ew ew ew!" ... and I am a female, btw. And K-On is a sweet, adorable, and funny show that I love - I don't see what's wrong with that or why it makes any difference. There's no denying that it IS a very popular show right now.
gar131

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:55 pm Reply with quote
While I'd like to see a bit more variety in what gets reviewed, you have to think about the fact that the author buys most of these toys with his own money [I think...]. And there are tons of other review sites and blogs that go over most of the new PVC releases, which are usually pretty easy to find, while I've seen very few go over stuff like the die-cast robots and such. So, in the end, what gets reviewed is up to him.

Although, I have to admit, I do miss the "WTF" figures from the earlier columns.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:59 pm Reply with quote
gar131 wrote:
While I'd like to see a bit more variety in what gets reviewed, you have to think about the fact that the author buys most of these toys with his own money [I think...]. And there are tons of other review sites and blogs that go over most of the new PVC releases, which are usually pretty easy to find, while I've seen very few go over stuff like the die-cast robots and such. So, in the end, what gets reviewed is up to him.

Although, I have to admit, I do miss the "WTF" figures from the earlier columns.

I guess I'm a little confused about how this column works, then ... when Rob was doing it, I was under the impression that he was sent figures by various online retailers / companies to review ... hence the Queen's Blade figures that he obviously hated due to some irrational fear of nipples or something ( Wink ) ... anyway, if he's paying for the figures/toys, then by all means, he should get what he wants! ... maybe they need more than one reviewer for astrotoy or something. I don't know. I realize there are tons of reviews online of varioue figures/toys, but still. More variety couldn't hurt.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Astro Toy has a budget; ANN is paying for these items as part of our editorial budget.

We have a small handful of retailers that do send items to David for review but that's a rare occurrence.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Astro Toy has a budget; ANN is paying for these items as part of our editorial budget.

Just out of curiosity, but what happens to screeners, manga, games, and toys once the review is complete?

Would ANN consider offering these items as a Subscriber give-away? (reason to boost subscriptions)

Because if they're sitting around collecting dust, I've plenty of shelf space to help with that issue.
Smile
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Ah I see - that makes sense. I don't mean to seriously complain, really ... you guys can obviously do whatever you want - I was just doing a bit of silly venting.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Just out of curiosity, but what happens to screeners, manga, games, and toys once the review is complete?

I don't know how it works at ANN, but reviewers usually get to keep the stuff they review. They keep what they like and give away/sell the rest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2