• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Get A Job

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asrialys

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Also odd that those videos were uploaded under the username, AnimeUW. UW = underwater? Anyway, Catgirl Nuku Nuku, Cardcaptor Sakura, no idea, Akazukin Cha Cha, no idea, and corm...
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I must say, Nicholas, that your Answerfan response was one of the most respectful, heartfelt and thought-provoking letters I've ever had the pleasure of reading on this site. And for sharing your thoughts, I sincerely thank you.

Much of what you said I hadn't pondered to much depth or detail, but the more I read of your letter, the more I found myself agreeing. Anime catgrin

Again, I offer to you my humble gratitude for your so thoughtful a response, and I hope to be fortunate enough to read more of your letters in the future.
(If, perchance, you would be alright with it, I'd like to be so bold as to request an opportunity to exchange msgs and maybe get to know one another. If you're disinclined, I'll understand. No offense would I take from such a reply).
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:19 pm Reply with quote
The oddest thing I thought about the clips was they were labeled klips (Because bad spelling is Kewl!).

It was like an anime guessing game with a water theme!

1) Some Version of Cat Girl Nuku Nuku
2) Card Captor Sakura
3) ???
4) Akazukin Chacha
5) ???
6) Aishiteruze Baby
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
suika

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:27 pm Reply with quote
So somebody has a fetish for underwater anime girls... Then again I've seen an entire blog devoted to animated bare feet. The focus seemed to be mostly on Disney films. Lol.

3) DaDaDa

5) Tales of Eternia ...?

I suppose if you really want to be a mangaka in Japan, you could always start off the Morning International Manga contest.

Though I think it'd be better to go the Megatokyo or Hetalia route. Start with a webcomic that hopefully clicks with the Internet denizens and build your name and brand. Gain enough popularity and the publishers may one day be clamoring for you.

Last edited by suika on Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redcrest

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I have a few more bits of advice for Questioneer #2:

1. The "self-taught" stigma will likely not go over well with the editors at the publishing houses, so I suggest you take and pass the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT). It's like the standardized test of Japanese fluency. If you can pass level 1, your skills will look legit in potential employers' eyes. At the very least, you should pass level 2 to be considered.

2. Every big US manga publisher website has a "jobs" or "submissions" page--go find the e-mail address that you can send job inquiries to, then write a short and professional cover letter to paste in your e-mail and attach your resume and (very important!) a translation sample (hint: make sure it's not a series that you can find translations or scanlations for online; you want to assure them it's your own work). If you don't have any professional experience to boast, that sample is key to showing them what you can do. If they're interested, they will send you their own "Japanese test" (usually a few pages of an obscure manga for you to translate) and then keep you on file for whenever their next opening comes up. This may take a few months, but they actually do get back to you. So don't wait until you see a listing for freelance manga translators on their jobs site--just send a polite job inquiry with all your good stuff. Wink

3. Go to anime cons and attend the manga publishers' panels. They usually send at least one or two manga editors and those are the folks who will either hire you or will be working with you when you become a manga translator, so it's great to meet them face-to-face. Go up and chat with them after the panel and see if you can get their e-mail address, or at least ask if there is an e-mail address where you can send your resume, etc. If you can get it directly in front of the editor, you have a better chance of getting a response.

Good luck!
jyuichi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Redcrest wrote:
The "self-taught" stigma will likely not go over well with the editors at the publishing houses, so I suggest you take and pass the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT). It's like the standardized test of Japanese fluency. If you can pass level 1, your skills will look legit in potential employers' eyes. At the very least, you should pass level 2 to be considered.

You beat me to it! Yeah, JLPT certification is an excellent idea. Its much cheaper than university classes and universally recognized. Registration for this year just ended however and the next US test is December 2011.
ptj_tsubasa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:36 pm Reply with quote
It might be worth to note that for many people who have never read any comics besides manga - western people, that is - manga is their own style. If you told them to draw comics and characters any other way they'd be like a fish out of water.

Sure, most of them suck. But most of the Japanese wanna-be-mangakas suck too, don't they? (And I can think of many people who look like they've been doing this stuff their whole life.)
Dagon123

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:54 pm Reply with quote
ptj_tsubasa wrote:
It might be worth to note that for many people who have never read any comics besides manga - western people, that is - manga is their own style. If you told them to draw comics and characters any other way they'd be like a fish out of water.

Sure, most of them suck. But most of the Japanese wanna-be-mangakas suck too, don't they? (And I can think of many people who look like they've been doing this stuff their whole life.)

^^^This, essentially his "Make your own style" response is his way of saying "Your not gonna make it as a Mangaka in Japan, so change your style then you might get noticed here" which I think is kind of a low blow. I've seen many, MANY both real life and Internet comics use a straight up Manga style that you couldn't tell who made from where and are highly respected, my advice to that person, If your style is Japanese Manga, then draw that way, do what you wanna do.
InnocentSorrow59

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"WHITE GUY MAKES JAPANESE CARTOON-BOOKS."

How do you know he was white? DISCRIMINATION!! (J/K, that line made me laugh so loudly my mom thought I'd gone crazier...)
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:37 pm Reply with quote
If any person, flake or otherwise, is watching an anime clip and doesn't have the name available for it, the ann encyclopedia is helpful, as is Google images. As long as the characters mention their names it's not hard to track down.

I hope the flake appreciates this:

1. All purpouse Catgirl Nuku Nuku

2. Cardcaptor Sakura

3.Daa! Daa! Daa!

4. Akazukin Cha Cha

5. Tales of Eternia

6. Aishiteruze Baby

I have also used my scary amazing search skills to track down and expose the flaky perv with the underwater girl fetish!

Last edited by YotaruVegeta on Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
skaly

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Another series that was on an annual release schedule was the Scott Pilgrim comic. Yet instead of shedding fans over that time, it seemed to gaining them.

I'd like to say that if it's good, the audience will find it, but I've seen enough of my favorite books get canceled to know otherwise. What happened with Scott Pilgrim was most likely an exception to the rule. Only a well-liked and well-known product could get away with that kind scheduling.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Just adding some my opinion to the Answerman's answers

Question 1: making your own animation

Just keep practice your craft. You can make an animation with any medium. For me, I made a 15-seconds clay animation and it took me all day. Software is just a tool. When your visual art skill is not growing, state-of-the-art software can't help you. It's like hammer, nail and saw can't build a house by themselves.

If you want to push yourself for becoming the best animator, always practice your craft and observe real-life.

Question 2: Self taught translator

I've been self-taught Japanese from time to time for past 10 years. Still there are so many words and expressions that I don't know. How do I know? By interacting with native speakers, I recognized my shortcomings with Japanese language which I felt pretty confident about. Even though you're not planning to do any speaking, limiting your translation skill to anime and manga is not a good way to go. There are so many words and expressions that go beyond anime and manga. I happened to look at a Japanese motorcycle magazine, and there are so many words and lingos that I don't know at all.

It's important to take JLPT test. It's also best to interact with native speakers as much as you can. Every language has its own unique nuance, flavors, and subtleties. If you want to become a professional, it's very important to broaden your horizon. A pro translator is not limited to anime and manga. In many cases, they have to do translations for business and legal matters.

Question 3. Manga artist hopeful

I strongly believe that Japanese publishers don't care about so-called manga style illustration. There are tons are manga titles featured in manga magazines like Kodansha's Afternoon is full of weird or boring illustration styles. Peepo Choo is not exactly a trendy manga style either.

What publishers want is interesting story with excellent panel-to-panel continuity and composition. Also it's important to present illustrations with clear meanings regardless of style. One reason why silhouette is important when designing manga character and objects. The reason why Manga have been so popular is not just their diverse stories and panel continuity. It is the capability to communicate ideas, both fiction and nonfiction, to audience clearly.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Does grown out of having free time count as outgrown? It seems hard to really rule-out the time value of time in this.
silentjay

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:37 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
Does grown out of having free time count as outgrown? It seems hard to really rule-out the time value of time in this.

It really depends on what people are meaning when they say outgrow.

With me, I don't largely don't have time for fandom, except in small controlled doses like this place, but I still consider watching anime (or reading the occasional manga when I have time for leisure reading) as a viable entertainment source, even if a lot of the newer stuff doesn't really appeal to me.

Plus, I don't think you can technically outgrow anime, or any medium, unless you have a really narrow interpretation of it, like equating it with just kids anime. Or if you equate all of anime fandom, including cons and clubs, as some sort of all-encompassing bubble called anime. (Which is pretty silly, but people can be like that.)
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Not to nark on Answerman (or the others), but your words of advice towards becoming a translator aren't exactly helpful. First and foremost, simply majoring in Japanese alone won't get you very far. Sure you'll have a great background for the language, maybe have a study abroad trip under your belt, but when it comes time to graduate, having just that won't get you very far. Anime and manga isn't exactly the most lucrative business to be translating for, nor is it the end all, obviously. If you are in college, find something that you like to translate: if you wanna do legal translation, study law; medical translation med school, etc. It's much harder to pick up specialized knowledge as you go along.

As for taking the JLPT, yeah it's good but doesn't mean squat. Anyone can memorize stuff for an exam like that... hell, the test doesn't even demonstrate real proficiency in the language... But basically, demonstrating the ability to produce good translations will take you much, much farther than any paper qualifications will.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2