• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga UK Adds Haruhi Film, 2nd TV Season, Haruhi-chan

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The British anime distributor Manga Entertainment announced on Friday that it will release The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya film on DVD and Blu-ray Disc

If we don't get a BD for Disappearance, there will be a riot. I can feel it already.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Taco-chan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited!
Haruhi, K-ON!, Tatami Galaxy oooooh yes~
Chobittsu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm confused, I thought Bandai had already licensed K-On! and Birdy the mighty and Tower of Druaga are both owned by Funimation.
jrnemanich

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:09 pm Reply with quote
@Chobittsu

This is for the UK release of these shows

Bandai and Funimation only got region 1 (Canada and USA) rights for distribution, not region 2 for the UK.

Last edited by jrnemanich on Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
jyuichi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Chobittsu wrote:
I'm confused, I thought Bandai had already licensed K-On! and Birdy the mighty and Tower of Druaga are both owned by Funimation.

Bandai and Funimation = American license

Manga UK = British license

Different regions have to buy rights separately.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Chobittsu wrote:

These are u.k. license announcements. The u.s.=/=the entire world.

I'm excited about these licenses, particularly House of Five Leaves and The Tatami Galaxy which I'm hoping will get DVD (and Blu-ray, though I don't have the set up and probably won't for quite a while what with the cost of good quality 1080p HD TVs) releases instead of just digital distribution (could this be one of those rare instances where the u.k. gets anime DVD releases that the u.s. don't/before the u.s.?). I'm curious to know if they'll try and market them to a more arthouse-y crowd as was done with Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli's work. Also looking forward to more Haruhi (hopefully cheaper than the u.s. release as Manga Entertainment's stuff often is, though Beez' Anime Legends release of the first season was fairly cheap after the expensive singles had run their course. I actually paid £5 more than necessary for it as I got it in HMV when I'd just had an exam that I was afraid I hadn't passed instead of buying it on Amazon). Delighted about K-On! as this will again hopefully mean it will be cheap initially, Birdy the Mighty: Decode I'm considering. I want Tower of Druaga Season 1 but am wondering if that tentacle spoof in the first episode might result in censoring from the BBFC.

Edit: Beaten to it twice.

Last edited by UtenaAnthy on Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Chobittsu wrote:

They did license them, but only for North America (US and Canada).

Manga UK acquired a separate license which gives them rights to release these shows over there (not sure what all territories fall under their grasp).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:13 pm Reply with quote
jjrnemanich wrote:
Bandai and Funimation only got region 1 (Canada and USA) rights for distribution, not region 2 for the UK.

During the Expo Industry Panel in which the recent UK acquisitions were announced, Jerome Mazandarani of Manga elaborated upon the distinction you draw in the case of Funimation.

According to the system he explained, Funimation actually acquires the rights for all English speaking territories when they buy the R1 rights. They then contact particular partners in these regions (such as Manga UK) to see if they are interested in purchasing a sub-license. If these are approved, Funi contacts the Japanese companies to inform them of this.

Admittedly, this differs from the system I naively presumed to be in effect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zetagod

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Just remember everyone, there is this little known company called Manga Entertainment that releases anime in the US. I have no idea if it is actually the same company, but I can understand the confusion. If they are the same company that makes it even more confusing to someone who doesn't know how this stuff works.
Gentry

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I've got such a raging hard on when thinking about watching disapearence on blu-ray. I thought it looked good with that shitty little fansub so the real deal is going to blow the tits off it.

Last edited by Gentry on Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:15 pm Reply with quote
So Europe will be getting a Sarai-ya Goyou/House of Five Leaves release, huh? Lucky buggers.
Gentry

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote
"Beez said it is "discussing if there's anything we can do on" Manga Entertainment's release of the film." what do they mean by this?
sepherest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
So Europe will be getting a Sarai-ya Goyou/House of Five Leaves release, huh? Lucky buggers.

And Tatami Galaxy, too. I'm jealous...
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:45 pm Reply with quote
zetagod wrote:
Just remember everyone, there is this little known company called Manga Entertainment that releases anime in the US. I have no idea if it is actually the same company, but I can understand the confusion. If they are the same company that makes it even more confusing to someone who doesn't know how this stuff works.
Yep it's the same company-ish, not sure of exact specifics. Definately both owned by Starz.
Regardless Manga UK are mostly FUNi's and Viz's distributor in the UK. They also do some of Bandai Ent's, split with Beez.

This news has little to do with anything in the US except the disk releases of Tatami Galaxy and House of 5 leaves, as they're not anounced over there yet.
Gentry wrote:
"Beez said it is "discussing if there's anything we can do on" Manga Entertainment's release of the film." what do they mean by this?
Maybe cross promotion of some kind, as they have season 1.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
According to the system he explained, Funimation actually acquires the rights for all English speaking territories when they buy the R1 rights. They then contact particular partners in these regions (such as Manga UK) to see if they are interested in purchasing a sub-license. If these are approved, Funi contacts the Japanese companies to inform them of this.

Admittedly, this differs from the system I naively presumed to be in effect.
Yeah, this is why the Encyclopedia entries list both license holder and distributor, and indicate the region for the distributor. "English companies" does not mean English as in the most populous bit of the UK, but companies in English-speaking countries.

Like, in Cowboy Bebop
Quote:
Distributor:
Bandai Entertainment
Beez (UK)
Madman Entertainment Pty. Ltd. (Australia)
Licensed by: Bandai Entertainment

That's also why we hear announcements from US con's about licenses, and announcements from UK cons about "releases". "Will release" most often seems to mean "have reached a distributor deal with the English-speaking countries license holder".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2