• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Brain Diving: A Lovely Angel

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoverTX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:39 pm Reply with quote
As I was reading the article I realized that there was an righstuf ad for their release of the Dirty pair TV at the top. I just bought the TV series today as a matter of fact, wish I had seen this article so I would have picked up the books at the same time. O well will just through them in with my next order.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:24 am Reply with quote
I just bought the first book last week for 48 cents off Amazon...

And yes, shipping it was damn near ten times the cost of the book.
williamflipper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:09 am Reply with quote
I loved Dirty Pair when I was a Kid, I saw all the Tv series when I was living in Italy, I'm gonna buy the DVD and the novels for sure!! Thanks Mr. Ruh for the article.
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:13 am Reply with quote
"Not only o the Kodansha and dark horse editions have different covers, but their interior illustrations are different as well. The Kodansha book has a few that dark horse is lacking, and vice versa. (I'd like to get my hands on a Japanese copy of the book in order to see if it has all of the illustrations in it.)"

This took me back to "The Dumas Club" by Perez-Reverte.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:14 am Reply with quote
In-body Title wrote:
Brain Diving – A Lovely Angle

I'm guessing acute? **Rimshot**

I'll be here all week.

Seriously though, I think ANN needs more interns for copy editing. It seems like there's getting to be more and more typos in all these newer articles and reviews.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:42 pm Reply with quote
It's been 14 years since the Dirty Pair last appeared in Dirty Pair Flash and that's 14 years too many!
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Great article! It's nice to see someone out there actually taking the time and effort to research and talk about a part of anime history. I also like the fact that, not only do you talk about it's place in history, but also on it's own merits. I think many fans nowadays will only look at things through modern, critical eyes and brush off most anything that came before 2000 as old and outdated so, it really is a pleasure to see someone reviewing something in a positive light as well as it's historical significance. Dirty Pair really is a fantastic property that deserves at least a modicum of respect, even if some think it outdated. Thanks again for a great article! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Frazmataz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for a very informative article, Brian Smile The only Dirty Pair related thing I have ever seen is Adam Warren's first DP comic book, 'Biohazards'. I realise it probably bears little resemblance to the real thing, but I still loved it, and it was what got me into manga, and subsequently anime.

EDIT: Also, I couldn't agree more with the sentiment of your first paragraph. I went to a halloween party for my university's anime club last week, and was the only one who was dressed as a specific anime character (Captain Harlock), but not one person could guess what the costume was. They assumed I was simply 'a pirate' Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Frazmataz on Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:51 am Reply with quote
I have both novels that Dark Horse released and read one of Adam Warren's comics (Sim Hell Remastered), but I haven't seen any of the anime yet.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:47 am Reply with quote
On those who only know recent titles, I'm not sure I want to call them fans. Jonathan Osborne and I have been doing a panel at FanimeCon called "Older Titles for Newer Fans" that thankfully brings in many newer viewers of anime.

Related to this is the use of the term "old school" which I have actually heard applied to anime from 2005. I use a phrase I picked up from the folks at AWO. "It's not old school if it's in color!"

I have everything Dirty Pair released in the US and am awaiting the first TV series box to arrive from Right Stuf.
zrdb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:21 am Reply with quote
Ah-the Dirty Pair-a subject near and dear to my heart! I first got into anime curtsey of Affair On Norlandia. Lots of people say that DP Flash really isn't the Dirty Pair-it is-just a different take. Funny-this it the 1st mention I've ever heard that they are wearing an invisible polymer film over their skimpy outfits (or maybe as part of them). Still, most DP aficionados would say that the originial tv series is the best af the anime that was released althought the 10 episode ova series was pretty much an extension of the tv series. Of the 3 DP ovas released only Project Eden qualifies as a movie-Flight 008 and Affair On Norlandia are really just ovas. I do have a couple of Adam Warren's DP visual novels-my favorite is Dangerous Acquaintances which is the most faithful the the anime version of the DP artwise. I was so glad when Rightstuf announced that they were going to release the originial series-now I've gotta figure out what to do with my R2 dvds of the series, lol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1