• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Atelier Meruru PS3 RPG's English Trailer Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donpablo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Oh heck yes, just started playing Totori and am loving it.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:41 am Reply with quote
I'm waiting for Gust's next IP, as I can't stand the timer system in this franchise. They're great looking games, and fun by all accounts, but I just can't play them when I'm being restricted with in-game deadlines...
Hopefully whatever A14 is will leave that game mechanic behind.
naninanino

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:58 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
I'm waiting for Gust's next IP, as I can't stand the timer system in this franchise. They're great looking games, and fun by all accounts, but I just can't play them when I'm being restricted with in-game deadlines...

Pretty much how I feel too. I'd get them, but that is the sole thing stopping me. Maybe I could reconsider if they had great stories or something, but as seeing that they're more "fun" oriented games and I certainly have no fun with time managing and replaying in my RPGs, it is a pass.

Such a shame, as I like the artwork and music too.
kazume

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:29 am Reply with quote
Reserved first chance I get. heck Ill go check and see If I can now Very Happy
Veers

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:27 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty pumped for Meruru. This series alone makes PS3 worth the purchase.

naninanino wrote:
teh*darkness wrote:

Pretty much how I feel too. I'd get them, but that is the sole thing stopping me. Maybe I could reconsider if they had great stories or something, but as seeing that they're more "fun" oriented games and I certainly have no fun with time managing and replaying in my RPGs, it is a pass.

Such a shame, as I like the artwork and music too.
But with very few exceptions, the games give you so much time it's pretty much impossible to screw up unless you try to. Rorona "feels" a lot more restrictive than Totori but even in Rorona most of the time it's like "okay you have X months to make Y items" and then you can get that done in like 10 days and have the rest of the time to goof off/grind/whatever. I don't think the time restriction feature of the games is very restricting; if anything it helps bring focus and player direction to what are rather unfocused (in a good way) games.

The replaying thing is a valid complaint, though, because without a walkthrough and some replaying you definitely won't see all the various endings, and might even miss certain scenes throughout the game. I don't normally replay RPGs often, either, but these games are just really fun, easy to play for short amounts of time (because there is no complicated narrative to remember), and the bulk of the time in the game is honestly spent on character dialog, meaning you can skip through a lot of that on replays if you want and cut the gametime in half pretty much.

Others may disagree with me, but to me the Atelier games are like the closest thing video games has to ARIA the Animation as far as overall mood goes (though of course Atelier has the combat/adventuring element)... and I love 'em for that.
Matriel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Definite buy for me!

The end of the trailer made me cringe though. At least do the work to pronounce atelier (at-el-yay) correctly....
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Matriel wrote:
Definite buy for me!

The end of the trailer made me cringe though. At least do the work to pronounce atelier (at-el-yay) correctly....

They pronounce it the way the dictionary tells them to: \ˌa-təl-ˈyā\

Pre-ordered this when they went up on the NISA Store. Hope I can squeeze into the T-shirt for cons.

I want to give the first two games a second play through before this is released if I can find the time. I only got the generic ending for Rorona and the bad ending for Totori (why does the last mission have a time table if it doesn't matter? I had just finished the boat, too...). I'm not a big fan of having to do everything in a certain amount of time, I really miss just running around on an adventure like in the Iris series. Even Mana Khemia wasn't this strict (please make a third!).

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Veers

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
...I just noticed the LE comes with a "BARREL!" T-shirt...

...I might have to get the LE for that...

Though I don't have the other LEs so it wouldn't really feel right to have that one without the others... :s
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:34 am Reply with quote
Just an excuse for short skorts. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1