• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Catwoman Director to Helm Akira

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:22 pm Reply with quote
They're making an Akira movie?
midori kou

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I hope it doesn't turn out crappy like Catwoman. God, that movie was a bad interpetation.
mrfood

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:08 pm Reply with quote
To quote The late great Jonathan Harris "Oh The Pain!!!Exclamation
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:28 pm Reply with quote
This is old news, and in the prievious thread some good points were brought up to support Otomo's decision. I'll still have my doubts until I actually see the film.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Yah, this "news" is really not new at all.

There's no information presented which wasn't already covered weeks ago in this thread. Exact same reference, the Telerama interview, too.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:18 pm Reply with quote
So his entire name is Pitof? Ouch. Sounds to me like he's trying to gain street cred by having a clever name, as opposed to actually being a good director. That's never a good sign. Has this guy directed anything besides the abominable Catwoman?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:42 pm Reply with quote
This film is dead.

Just kill it before it reaches theatres. It's as good as dead.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
So his entire name is Pitof? Ouch. Sounds to me like he's trying to gain street cred by having a clever name, as opposed to actually being a good director. That's never a good sign. Has this guy directed anything besides the abominable Catwoman?

See, now, if you'd followed the link in my last post, you'd know the answer to this already... Wink

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Proman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Old news or not, that is absolutely the worst idea ever! A live action "Akira" movie might have some potential but with director like Pitof chances are the movie will turn out to be awful.
Also, how's Pitof is going to get enough money to make "Akira" if "Catwoman" performed so badly at the box office?
Neuroretardant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:38 pm Reply with quote
This has to be right up there with "live-action Ninja Hattori-kun" for worst idea for a movie ever.
Domasai

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Yes, it was mentioned long ago that Pitof would be helming the attempted Akira live-action film. But this is still a terrible idea. From the comments Otomo made regarding the flick, it seems clear that he couldn't care less about the entire thing and, therefore, the choice of director likely doesn't interest him. But it's still depressing.

Going with Pitof over the multitude of other far more talented options out there dooms this project to me. Catwoman did nothing. Nothing. There was no plot, no character development that wasn't hackneyed or cliche. Regardless of the amount of money put into it, he could still have made something decent. Catwoman doesn't require immense special effects to pull off. She doesn't have a jet or a secret base with massive super computers in it. And Pitof's name on it guarantees the budget will be below the level required to truly produce an Akira film.

I would've preferred Alex Proyas, myself. After his work on The Crow and Dark City, not to mention the recent success of I,Robot, he could not only do something artistically special but have name recognition enough to get the money necessary.
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:04 pm Reply with quote
So wait, is this going to be in Japanese theaters with Japanese actors? Or is it going to be an Americanized film ala the DBZ live action. (cmon, you all know it's going to be americanized)
Proman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:24 pm Reply with quote
UltimaShadowfax wrote:
So wait, is this going to be in Japanese theaters with Japanese actors? Or is it going to be an Americanized film ala the DBZ live action. (cmon, you all know it's going to be americanized)

You're probably right but you have to remember that Otomo is actually interested in this movie being made (though I'm not sure if it changes anything).
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
UltimaShadowfax wrote:

You're probably right but you have to remember that Otomo is actually interested in this movie being made (though I'm not sure if it changes anything).

So is Toriyama for the DBZ movie. Doesn't change much though.
Proman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:51 pm Reply with quote
UltimaShadowfax wrote:
Proman wrote:
UltimaShadowfax wrote:

So is Toriyama for the DBZ movie. Doesn't change much though.

What makes you think that Toriyama is interested in a live action "Dragon Ball Z" (other than the money, of course). I mean where did you get your information?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3