• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Maria Watches Over Us DVD Season 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:50 am Reply with quote
Carl:

I noticed that problem too, with the last special (#6) with the blanking screen. I made a comment to that effect on the Right Stuff message boards and Allison over there mentioned that you should try the subtitles without honorifics and see what happens. I was always watching the series with honorifics as well. Set the dvd up without and try the last special again. (I have yet to do that, so I can't comment on the results.)

Otherwise, I really liked the series. I think I need to watch the second season again to see if I was missing out on any emotional nuances. Especially the last three episodes that the reviewer talked about in detail. Whether or not you like or agree with the turmoil going on in those episodes, I appreciated the attempts at what seemed to be emotional realism. Yumi and Sachiko were doing a whole lot of assuming and you can see where that got them. Those two have got to talk their issues out! Wink

Great series though, bring on the third season Nozomi!!! (and the fourth, while you're at it...)
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:43 am Reply with quote
I'm probably going to sound nuts when I say this, but when I first heard the title of this series, I thought it was about some female religious figure who spreads a message of peace and love or something around the world.

Then I found out it was about lesbian love in a Catholic school. Anime hyper

While I have no interest in yuri, at least it doesn't sound like the series was made for the horny otaku (despite the Catholic school setting, heh).
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
While I have no interest in yuri, at least it doesn't sound like the series was made for the horny otaku

I'll pretty much watch any anime as long as it has a good story. Maria-sama really is charming and although I'm sure there are people out there who are attracted to it because of the whole Catholic school-girl lesbian thing (and who am I to criticize them for that?), it manages to stand on its own two feet regardless of the yuri-undertones. So as long as yuri doesn't offend you (and this series is really, really mild) and you don't mind a show that focuses on characterization more than action, I'd recommend people check it out. It really is a gem.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:31 am Reply with quote
You thought the third season was the best?

I thought it got much too silly. Panda hugs, anyone?

One thing that annoys me about Marimite that is that in both the first and second seasons, the final arc hinges on Yumi spoiler[worrying about a problenm that doesn't exist.] While the emotions are still real, it makes re-watching a little odd.

Last edited by Fronzel on Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:53 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
While I have no interest in yuri, at least it doesn't sound like the series was made for the horny otaku (despite the Catholic school setting, heh).

There's so little physicality to their romances (holding hands and all of one kiss so far) that it doesn't provide much in the way of fanservice; it's more about girl-girl relationships than girl-on-girl action, which can make it appeal to anyone who wants some sweet, sincere stories.

I thought the translation of 春 (haru) as printemps, the French for "spring," was pretty clever. I don't recall that being in the original back when I watched it fansubbed ages ago... am I just forgetting? I'd go back and check, but I dumped the episodes when it got licensed.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I think the last time I made a blind buy was the FMA movie, and as much as that (and the $200+ put into the last season of Yu Yu Hakusho...which sucked) jaded me against blind buying, I'm thinking about doing just that with this. I loved the first season, and this at least sounds to be equal with it, so...
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:15 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
I thought the translation of 春 (haru) as printemps, the French for "spring," was pretty clever. I don't recall that being in the original back when I watched it fansubbed ages ago... am I just forgetting? I'd go back and check, but I dumped the episodes when it got licensed.

No, that's a new idea. It is pretty clever.

The OVA didn't have a subtitle, did it? What are they going to call it? Just "season 3" or something?
Hikari06

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see Maria Watches Over Us get another good review! Especially since (as my icon indicates) I love this show. Very Happy
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:26 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

You're right that it's not aimed at them, but that doesn't stop the endless number of yuri-themed parody images and doujins (some even done by prolific yuri manga-ka) about an all-girl school where there's very minuscule of yuri content to begin with.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:23 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
I thought the translation of 春 (haru) as printemps, the French for "spring," was pretty clever.

Printemps was used in the Animax-Asia promos and eye-catches for season two, so it's probably something the licensor required. Makes sense since the main series title and episode titles already have French translations on-screen.

Still haven't watched my S2 set, which I bought last month.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
an all-girl school where there's very minuscule of yuri content to begin with.

There's hardly "miniscule" content in Marimite. Many obviously yuri relationships are there, it just isn't done to titillate. If it weren't canon, we yuri fans wouldn't draw them together in the first place. xD

Big difference between yaoi and yuri fans: Yaoi fans ship together everything under the sun, yuri fans only go with what's at least possibly got some canonical evidence!

Anyway, I'm not going to bring my comments about Right Stuf's treatment of the series here, but I will say I'm glad to see it getting a good review. People keep saying it's a niche series, but I'd say it's pretty darn high profile if you ask me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:07 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
Anyway, I'm not going to bring my comments about Right Stuf's treatment of the series here, but I will say I'm glad to see it getting a good review. People keep saying it's a niche series, but I'd say it's pretty darn high profile if you ask me.

Compare to Code Geass or Macross Frontier. Those are high profile shows. It's only noticeable now because of it has 4 seasons and the DVDs are coming out here.
Yuukichan's Papa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:00 am Reply with quote
I generally have no interest in yuri but other than a couple instances, it's really more about undertones than anything and thankfully is far from being exploitative or obnoxious about it.

I've really enjoyed all that's been aired but I have to disagree with the claim that the third season is the best. I think the OAV format made the series suffer for a couple reasons, not the least of which was the episode lengths. It's a slow moving, relaxing show that works just right at a little less than a half hour, but at closer to fourty five minutes, things just seem to drag. The OAV format also tended to make the episodes feel a little more disconnected from each other - not that the first two seasons have totally connected episodes, but still.

Nonetheless, the show deserves all the praise it gets, and as the review states, every character gets their time to shine - particularly my favorite character Yoshino!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1