• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Column Of Wonders

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rah-Rah

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Go Hellsing! Whisle I was thinking about checking out, but now I am for sure Very Happy . Great job, by the way. Next time, review Berserk Vol.5, if you can. Thanks, and keep up the good work.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I can't believe someone would actually bring the Beyblade manga over to the US. The anime itself is so unbeliviably bad.
I'm thinking about picking up Tohyo Tribes though. I've been kind of interested in it ever since Black was reading it in "Black and White". Taiyo Matsumoto, the Black and White author, and Santa Inoue are actually cousins, which explains the promotion, as they have almost nothing in common as writers and even more so as artists.
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:31 pm Reply with quote
The Selfish Love review looked pretty favorable. I'm guessing it was categoized under borrow it because of the shounen-ai aspects. I'm wondering how it compares to Fake (which I enjoyed quite a bit, although I'm not extremely into yaoi.) As good? Not so good? Does anyone have an opinion?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Kimera sounds like it has some disturbing content. Could you please emphasize a rating for those kinds of titles? Anyway, I guess Beet will be an acquired taste like Dragon Quest, since Viz actually asked people at AX how many people were into the latter series, and only a few people's hands shot up...Oh, and the "gangs" in Tokyo Tribes are parodies of Gangsta rappers. But yeah, if I want urban manga, I'll just check out The Boondocks.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
The Selfish Love review looked pretty favorable. I'm guessing it was categoized under borrow it because of the shounen-ai aspects. I'm wondering how it compares to Fake (which I enjoyed quite a bit, although I'm not extremely into yaoi.) As good? Not so good? Does anyone have an opinion?

Personally I enjoyed FAKE better mainly because it was longer (7 volumes) rather than just a short story. This allowed it to be able to develop a story and have the characters mature rather than just rely on tug-of-war emotion tossing. Selfish Love is really just eye candy, so it's a borrow. Had it been like...3 volumes it may have had the opportunity to develop into a buy it series with a little more meat.

**OK. My bad..seeing as Selfish Love is multiple volumes. But, basically my original opinion still stands that it just isn't as well-developed as FAKE. It has lots of potential, though, seeing as it's only the first volume. Forgive me, as I haven't read ahead to see if volume 2 is a continuation or just a second story by the same manga-ka.

GATSU wrote:
Kimera sounds like it has some disturbing content. Could you please emphasize a rating for those kinds of titles?

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try to incorporate some sort of age ratings system for more graphic series with questionable content. I figure that if people were interested in the series, they would look it up and see the cover ratings, though. Then from my descriptions they could put two and two together and decide if it was something that they'd be into.

Last edited by lianncoop on Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
JustJon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Is Spiral a sequel to the Ringu manga?
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Yes. It's kind of confusing. The Ring's sequel is Spiral. However, the graphic novel adaptation is being released as a 5 part series. So, if you look up "The Ring" graphic novels you'll see Spiral listed as The Ring Volume 3.
JustJon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:12 pm Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
Yes. It's kind of confusing. The Ring's sequel is Spiral. However, the graphic novel adaptation is being released as a 5 part series. So, if you look up "The Ring" graphic novels you'll see Spiral listed as The Ring Volume 3.
Ah ok, I'm more familiar with the films (Ringu, Raisen, et al.) than the books. Thanks.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:18 pm Reply with quote
JustJon wrote:
Ah ok, I'm more familiar with the films (Ringu, Raisen, et al.) than the books. Thanks.

Well, "Rasen" is the Japanese title of Spiral. So, there ya go.
JustJon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:33 pm Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
JustJon wrote:

Well, "Rasen" is the Japanese title of Spiral. So, there ya go.

Ah ha! See, when I think of Spiral, I think of Uzumaki.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:49 pm Reply with quote
There is no univeral manga rating system right now, and that means things get messed up pretty badly. You have things like Kenshin which is rated a bit too harshly (in my opinion), or things like Exaxxion or BotI which don't even have ratings on them at all, and these are two titles that really need to have mature ratings. A rating system in RTO would be good for some of the younger readers or parents.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I'll see what I can do. Hopefully my descriptions can convey what exactly is in these books, because I really don't want to resort to saying "good for the ages of 7-12" or something.
jfrog

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Rating systems are stupid. I don't see many young girls carrying around copies of Blade of the Immortal, and I doubt any children are going to read Kimera. Maybe putting 'for mature readers' under the title of the comic, but anything else would be going too far.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I'm not personally for censorship either. After all, my first childhood encounter with anime was things like Fist of the North Star and Vampire Hunter D. But there needs to be a limit. Sure little girls may not be interested in BotI, but every time my 5 year old cousin comes over he tries to get me to give him a look at that and a bunch of my other mangas. I don't know about you, but I don't want a little kid reading a manga with someone like Shira in it.
Meesuke

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I am really into more serious manga like Lament of the Lamb
and The Demon Ororon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3