• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Meet Vic Mignogna - Voice of Fullmetal Alchemists's Edward Elric - in Person

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:23 am Reply with quote
Shame I live too far away to attend. Oh well.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:30 am Reply with quote
Shame I have this thing called "college" and I'm 6 hours from Dallas which is a helluva drive. Though I'll concede that I'd make the trip if this had been for my all-time favorite English VA, Miss Grant.
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:58 am Reply with quote
Wow. If map quest isn't fibbing, this is less than a mile from my house. I might just have to go check it out. I've seen plenty of Youtube videos of conventions and such, some of which featured Vic. Similar questions get brought up each time. Any suggestions on what I should ask if given the chance?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:13 am Reply with quote
It seems pretty egotistical for him to have an event like this just, but there are enough fans of his dry, hoarse delivery of Edward Elric to put asses in seats. Is he going to rouse the crowd with his Christian rock?

Hell, I wouldn't pay money to meet Romi Paku.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:58 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It seems pretty egotistical for him to have an event like this just, but there are enough fans of his dry, hoarse delivery of Edward Elric to put asses in seats.

Between that and Peacemaker it seems (EDIT: Oh, I get it, once in the ADV version, and once in the FUNI release.)
Quote:
Vic is known for such roles as Dark in DNAngel, Tatsu in Peacemaker, Kurz in Full Metal Panic!, Broly in Dragon Ball Z, Kougaigi in Saiyuki, Tatsu in Peacemaker,

But 4 hours is a bit of a hike when he is almost assured to visit any of the larger nearby cons. Sadly, I would get more out of driving through Wilkes-Barre than arriving at my destination.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:00 am Reply with quote
Is he really bragging about being Broly? Broly barely says two words. Most of it is grunting and screaming, "Kakkarot!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:51 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Is he really bragging about being Broly? Broly barely says two words. Most of it is grunting and screaming, "Kakkarot!"

your right, Broly only has one line.

as for his acting....well i thought Edward Elric sounded too old in english, nothing like a 10 year old boy sounding like a 30 year old chain smoker. I met Vic 2 years ago, and he's a nice guy.
Malgarth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Press releases are written by the publicity office of the place that's sponsoring the event, not the artist. So he's not bragging about anything. I think the event is a great idea!

@vtnwesley-Don't listen to the haters! If you can go to it, go! I'm gonna be there! And for what to ask, you already know that the fangirls are gonna be asking for voice requests, so I'd say think of something to ask him about the field of voice acting or music: something that you'll actually be able to get something out of.

Very Happy
LauraOrganaSolo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote
At least it's someone who has a modicum of talent. I'd pay for Steve Blum to never showcase his overrated, I WISH TO BE DAVID HAYTER voice ever again if I had the money (just because you heard the Cowboy Bebop dub before you heard the original doesn't make the dub superior).

It's a pity the Western voice actors that actually have talent (Michael Bell, Richard Doyle, Rene Auberjonois, Jack De Sena, Catherine Taber, Simon Templeman) aren't involved in anime dubs or I wouldn't despise them so much.

in b4 rage and backlash, SEE YOU ON PAGE 10.
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Shougou in Megazone 23

I wonder if the author of this press release was reading Buried Treasure before they wrote this? Smile
Malgarth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Lol. Yeah, they have a few typos. Probably written by someone who doesn't know too much about anime. Regardless, the event still sounds like a lot of fun! And probably a much better chance to meet him than at a con. You won't have all the chaos that comes along with a con. And if you think about the cost of concerts and seminars these days, $25 for both is really cheap. Very Happy

So I will be there!
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Edward sounded great, i mean, would you really want to watch a bunch of kids with squeaky voices. And I think it also shows that Edward is more mature and wise than someone his age should be and also leads to a cool main character instead of a little kid being a wuss.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:34 pm Reply with quote
LauraOrganaSolo wrote:
At least it's someone who has a modicum of talent. I'd pay for Steve Blum to never showcase his overrated, I WISH TO BE DAVID HAYTER voice ever again if I had the money (just because you heard the Cowboy Bebop dub before you heard the original doesn't make the dub superior).

Blum is far more talented than Mignogna can ever hope to be. And actually, I heard the Cowboy Bebop dub two years after the original track and still prefer it. But tastes will be tastes. He doesn't have the greatest range ever, but least he doesn't sound generic and dispassionate like Vic does.

Quote:
Michael Bell, Richard Doyle, Rene Auberjonois, Jack De Sena, Catherine Taber, Simon Templeman.

Speaking of generic talents...
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I will agree that whoever wrote that publicity thing kinda overhyped him. Geez. With all the extreme love he gets from the fanbase and things like this in general, I have to give him huge props just for not being an arrogant douche.

(And I like his acting very much. I think he's hands-down one of the better voice actors out there. Dispassionate? Most of the time, he emotes to a cry-me-a-bucket extent, so at the very least, that's the wrong word...)

No, he's not as talented as Steve Blum, but Steve Blum is one of the ONLY VAs out there who's not only a good actor, but has a very wide voice range, and his acting isn't hampered by zipping up and down in that range. Usually one talent is interchangeable of the other, but he possesses both. (Case in point: Vic's a very good actor, but his range is very very small. Everything he's ever played, just listen for two seconds and it's like, "Oh, that's Vic Mignogna.")

EDIT: Perhaps it's more accurate to say that he has a hopelessly distinctive voice. He's played a lot of different parts, so he's not typecast with one voice like some people but his extremely different-sounding register, very high and breathy with just a smidgen of effeminacy that sounds boyish rather than womany, well, it's hard to mistake for ANYBODY else.
emogirl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:04 pm Reply with quote
First off, the PR is very poorly written. It's like some fanboy/fangirl wrote it. It's not well written and it seems very out of touch. It doesn't put Vic in a good light...it sounds ultra egotistical. I know the PR people make this stuff, but it doesn't do him any favors.

@vtnwesley
If your profile is correct that you live in/near Natrona Heights, PA, you are 271 miles away from Misericordia University in Dallas, PA. That's ~4.5 hours driving time. Plus you have to go through Wilkes-Barre. Eww

I heard Vic's a really nice guy. However, would I pay just to see him? No. Would I take time out of my weekend to see him instead of watching anime or reading manga? No way. He's an English voice actor. It's his job and it's how he makes his living. It's not really any different than having a policeman/policewoman come in to talk about his/her job. Nothing against the person and I wish him/her the best, but it's nothing specatular.

Those of you that can make it and want to go, go. But I think the PR is just overhyped and it's just not worth the money and time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3